Sponsored

How Functional is a Functional Rear Wing?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I didn't know you could do this type of mix and match. Thanks for sharing. If you get this all put together, please share a build post.
Definitely will.

Now, I understand that there could be an argument on mixing companies because the data they have is for their entire kit, but I don’t see how that would apply in this specific case if the placement of the wing is the same distance from the trunk lid in the X and Y direction. If I could afford wind tunnel time I would be interested in comparing what I come up with
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Definitely will.

Now, I understand that there could be an argument on mixing companies because the data they have is for their entire kit, but I don’t see how that would apply in this specific case if the placement of the wing is the same distance from the trunk lid in the X and Y direction. If I could afford wind tunnel time I would be interested in comparing what I come up with
That's great, but this wang is not something I would put on a daily car regardless of the mounts. I'm searching for a takeoff trunk lid for track-only use.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
I was just talking to AJ about wings for my car and with the front splitter on and hood louvers I'm just at an APEX 8. If I were to move any higher in his line I'd need even more front downforce which was a bit shocking to me.

Also - he told me that GT350R wing I have isn't doing anything which now makes sense because the car was driving unbalanced with the splitter on and when I took it off I got more balance.

Lastly - whenever you look at DF data on wings nothing significant really happens until 100mph. That being said, there is basically zero functional application to a street car. On the track with 100mph turns it's a different story.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I almost slammed my head into this thing in the parking lot of Paramus Park in New Jersey. People that do this should not be allowed to vote.

20221112_172040.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I almost slammed my head into this thing in the parking lot of Paramus Park in New Jersey. People that do this should not be allowed to vote.

20221112_172040.jpg
What the actual f%$!. It appears he/she has it on backwards as well???

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
How often are you really going to be running at those speeds?? Seriously?
Well, it depends on any given track configuration, session duration and how many laps one can do per session. It's not uncommon to reach 140 MPH 15 times per 20min session. So, to answer your question, 120 instances of driving at that speed per weekend is not something out of ordinary for those who are doing HPDE. If my math is not failing me, 500-1000 times per year is a very rough range of how often one can be running at these speeds.

Hope it's often enough to warrant a question about what this wing is doing at these speeds, since it's positioned as "functional race wing".

Have you tried hard braking from 145MPH without any aero support?

GOAMERICA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Porsche Cayman S, 2008 Honda S2000
Try the Anderson Composite GT350R carbon fiber spoiler replacement pictured below IMO. I have that with hood louvers and my car is very balanced (I had to take off a front splitter because the car didn’t have enough rear downforce with the louver and splitter combo). Plus it looks awesome. I don’t see the need for a wing if it’s not a track car.

If you want more rear downforce in a stealthy way you can go with Verus Engineering rear diffuser. It’s an engineered diffuser not some cosmetic piece.

My spoiler is coming off this winter for a wing (either AJ or Chicane23) but that is because I obviously need one if I want to put the front splitter back on the car. Plus it will be nice to have the adjustments so I can balance the car which also likely means messing with springs again.

And that’s a whole different issue - adding downforce to cars with stock suspension.

I say just get a functional cool looking spoiler and that’s already enough downforce. The GT350R spoiler has a very aggressive rake. You can easily run a splitter with it (just no louvers and splitter in my experience)

9ADB6F33-0359-4312-897C-06A18DCF6FDD.jpeg

993769C4-B4B4-4E09-A81A-93177C1864D0.jpeg
FYI THE GT350R wing is cosmetic. DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY USEABLE DF. I know.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Steeda has data & it its part of the intellectual properties of the race program.

TJ
This is why we can't be friends. And further, if that wing is "functional" then it must serve the same purpose as all the other low wings...ballast.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
How often are you really going to be running at those speeds?? Seriously?
Rarely. My questions are part of my research to run events in Texas and Arkansas next year.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
What the actual f%$!. It appears he/she has it on backwards as well???
I Was thinking the same thing. def installed backwards.

maybe it is for high speed drifting? to take weight off the back so it can slide easier? :D:D:D:D:D:D

kb19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350r, mach 1
Sorry for my naivite, but isn't this the solution already worked out for those not trying to build a full-time track car in the form of the secondary front splitter and rear swang combination from the Mach 1 handling pack (i.e. the gt500 swang with the gurney flap + the fat kid double chin thing) that is available for purchase separate from ordering a HP Mach 1?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Sorry for my naivite, but isn't this the solution already worked out for those not trying to build a full-time track car in the form of the secondary front splitter and rear swang combination from the Mach 1 handling pack (i.e. the gt500 swang with the gurney flap + the fat kid double chin thing) that is available for purchase separate from ordering a HP Mach 1?
yes it is. and imo, but I have not done any track time yet, it feels planted at 120mph with the front splitter and Mach 1 spoiler with gurney flap.

kb19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350r, mach 1
yes it is. and imo, but I have not done any track time yet, it feels planted at 120mph with the front splitter and Mach 1 spoiler with gurney flap.
I think you are supposed to blur out the mph in your reply like they do in the YouTube videos so that it cannot be used as evidence by LE to give you a speeding ticket since that speed was not achieved on a track. ;)
Sponsored