Sponsored

Has anybody created functional rear side scoops?

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
I know many people talk smack about cosmetic (non-functional) scoops. Personally, I really like the look of the scoops (maybe it's the Eleanor fan in me), but am also annoyed that they don't do anything. I have a set of these in Magnetic Metallic to match my 2018, but have been hesitant to put them on.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-v-series-prepainted-side-scoops-1516.html

I was thinking 4" ducting behind, a 4" cap on it with a 2" hole drilled into it to attach the ducting to a matching a 2" hole in the quarter panel, with the 4" cap riveted to the quarter panel. Thinking I could also sandwich a little mesh grill painted black between the fender and the 4" cap. Then run the ducting down to the plastic inner wheel wells. Not sure if the flat 4" cap can be used to attach there, since the wheel wells are curved up higher.

Questions-
  • Is there room behind where the side scoops go for all this? (I haven't torn into the back yet, although I probably will this weekend as I'm adding some extra horsepower by painting my rear brake calipers. :crazy:
  • Am I going to be sending rain onto my rear brakes? In which case, probably not good. LOL Any thoughts on how to capture and divert water?
  • The big question- anyone make functional side scoops?
Sponsored

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I don't believe anybody makes functional side scoops for the S550. That requires cutting holes in the quarter panel, running ducting, and fastening the scoop to the car in semi-permanent fashion. I strongly doubt anybody would be willing to commit to that given how much of a pain it would to be to revert back to stock form if you ever wanted to.

On the 65, 66, and earliest 67 Shelbys, the side scoops were indeed functional, using an installation much like what you're describing, and for the same purpose of feeding cool air to the rear brakes. Problem is that early in the 67's production, Shelby American concluded that the ducting only served to shoot a little bit of cool air onto the tire, rather than the brakes, and since the installation was very labor intensive for absolutely no performance gain, the ducting was nixed. By then, side scoops were well-established as a Shelby styling element so they stayed and remained through 1968 Shelby production. No large holes were drilled into the quarter panels, nor ducting installed, but the scoops themselves still had the circular cut out intended for the ducting. The scoops themselves were affixed using sheet metal screws.

Now, you could go and do what Shelby did for 65/66 and cut up your car and run ducting that may prove to be very problematic when it comes to water leaks and subsequent rust issues hidden beneath the panels, all for pretty much no performance gain at all, and only for the purpose of saying "they're functional" for the sake of being functional in that they shoot air somewhere in the wheel well area. Hell, it may even work against you since Ford figured out that creating turbulence in the wheel well creates drag and decreases fuel economy.

Personally...I'd stick on those scoops you already have and just enjoy them for what they are; a styling element that looks cool, even if it doesn't deliver on its functional promise. Most of the 67 Shelbys and all of the 68s don't function, and the earlier cars didn't even function as intended.

Now...If you wanna talk about making a functional upper quarter window scoop, that would really be something cool.

OP
OP
UnkTob

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
I don't believe anybody makes functional side scoops for the S550. That requires cutting holes in the quarter panel, running ducting, and fastening the scoop to the car in semi-permanent fashion. I strongly doubt anybody would be willing to commit to that given how much of a pain it would to be to revert back to stock form if you ever wanted to.

... and only for the purpose of saying "they're functional" for the sake of being functional in that they shoot air somewhere in the wheel well area. Hell, it may even work against you since Ford figured out that creating turbulence in the wheel well creates drag and decreases fuel economy.

Personally...I'd stick on those scoops you already have and just enjoy them for what they are; a styling element that looks cool, even if it doesn't deliver on its functional promise. Most of the 67 Shelbys and all of the 68s don't function, and the earlier cars didn't even function as intended.

Now...If you wanna talk about making a functional upper quarter window scoop, that would really be something cool.

Hmmm... well functional quarter window scoops would be exponentially more complicated, since my car is a convertible. :crackup: Yeah, probably doesn’t make sense to do. But..... :wink:
Sponsored