Help on New Engine or Buyback!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Seems like they addressed the oil consumption issue of the pre-2019 Voodoos to have a bad batch of valves choking 2019+ Voodoos.

No scientific evidence as there has been no formal tracking on this forum. From my observance on this forum it seems like Voodoos in latter 2019 builds (after May of 2019) into 2020 builds may be suspect to the failed valve issue? Perhaps we can compile some stats in a thread for build dates on failed valve Voodoos?
Would be nice if Ford was transparent on this but we just have to guess because the issues are 1 - sporadic and 2 - randomly(edited - should be RARELY or NEVER) allowed to have a root cause analysis performed.

For example, my 16 didn't use an unusual amount of oil.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Would be nice if Ford was transparent on this but we just have to guess because the issues are 1 - sporadic and 2 - randomly allowed to have a root cause analysis performed.

For example, my 16 didn't use an unusual amount of oil.
Indeed. There are some good threads in this forum about oil consumption issues and related failures.

For the valve failures it seem to occur when new and low mileage. While I would generalize the oil related failures more rooted to engine design tolerances, the valve issues seem more related to a batch of bad valves supplied to Voodoo assembly. If we can capture the build dates of the valve failure Voodoos and the highest miles reported at the valve failure - it MIGHT shed some light on potential failures.

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
Indeed. There are some good threads in this forum about oil consumption issues and related failures.

For the valve failures it seem to occur when new and low mileage. While I would generalize the oil related failures more rooted to engine design tolerances, the valve issues seem more related to a batch of bad valves supplied to Voodoo assembly. If we can capture the build dates of the valve failure Voodoos and the highest miles reported at the valve failure - it MIGHT shed some light on potential failures.
My 02' Z06 engine grenaded due to a defective valve spring. Spring broke, valve dropped and broke piston/rod and bent the crank. Chevy had changed the P/N for the valve springs because the early version (on my motor) turned out to be defective. Can we get someone w access to Ford part numbers (including revisions) to start looking at P/N's for the valvetrain and see if anything has changed?

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Keep the car with the new motor and the warranty. Drive the freaking wheels off of it. Enjoy it! These cars aren’t going to appreciate to anything substantial in most of the typical owners life time. Don’t save it for the next dude.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Keep the car with the new motor and the warranty. Drive the freaking wheels off of it. Enjoy it! These cars aren’t going to appreciate to anything substantial in most of the typical owners life time. Don’t save it for the next dude.
Hey .... I'm maybe the next dude!

Sponsored

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My 02' Z06 engine grenaded due to a defective valve spring. Spring broke, valve dropped and broke piston/rod and bent the crank. Chevy had changed the P/N for the valve springs because the early version (on my motor) turned out to be defective. Can we get someone w access to Ford part numbers (including revisions) to start looking at P/N's for the valvetrain and see if anything has changed?
It happened again with the later c6 z06 ls7, theyre notorious for dropping valves. And let's not forget the V8 Taurus SHO with its camshaft sprocket failures that would destroy the whole valve train. Unfortunately common in the performance world to have these types of issues from time to time.

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
We have the 2020 Orange GT350
Black Top and White Stripe Shelby.
We have had it roughly 50 days and broke it in slowly and have roughly 1200 miles on it.
It shut down completely and we had it towed. The dealership said it had a blown cylinder (their issue) and they would replace the engine.

Our dilemma. We kept everything (original factory wrapping - still on when we picked it up, sealed mats, original paperwork and dealership invoicing..)
The new engine will not be a matching numbers car to the original title and paperwork.
We have mixed opinions...some say Ford will have the letter we can provide that will show why they replaced the engine and it will be fine in the future if it’s ever sold.
Others say no everything will be listed in CarFax and some may not even look at it once they see that the engine was replaced assuming other parts of the car could also be damaged or just want a matching all original parts car.
There are no other orange, black top with the white stripe available.
We would need to look for something else.

Thoughts - replace the engine or go to Ford and fight for the Buyback??
OP, how did you end up making out with the car? Did the dealership tell you what caused the motor to die?

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
I'm just shocked to see so many issues with the 2020 models at low mileage.
No doubt! I was at ProDyno in Fort Mill, SC a couple of months ago and they were tuning a brand spanking new GT350 - like 450 miles on it - and the starter failed while it was on the dyno! It just suddenly would not start.

Dan (the tuner / owner of ProDyno) called Fort Mill Ford, and found out that there was a nation wide back order of starters because so many of them were dying right off the lot. He had to have it towed to the dealership and it sat for several days until they could get a starter.

Dan told me and the owner of the bad starter that there was a 2019 GT350 sitting at Fort Mill Ford with 24 miles on the odo and a broken valve spring. It's just nuts how many problems these cars are having.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
No doubt! I was at ProDyno in Fort Mill, SC a couple of months ago and they were tuning a brand spanking new GT350 - like 450 miles on it - and the starter failed while it was on the dyno! It just suddenly would not start.

Dan (the tuner / owner of ProDyno) called Fort Mill Ford, and found out that there was a nation wide back order of starters because so many of them were dying right off the lot. He had to have it towed to the dealership and it sat for several days until they could get a starter.

Dan told me and the owner of the bad starter that there was a 2019 GT350 sitting at Fort Mill Ford with 24 miles on the odo and a broken valve spring. It's just nuts how many problems these cars are having.
Seems like the failures are happening within the first 2-3k miles. I think a good precaution to take, especially if you plan on tuning and potentially throwing your warranty out the window, is to drive it a few thousand miles first to make sure everything is in working order before you touch the engine.

Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Good advice. From those reported on the forum with valve failures, it seems a few hundred miles is when the valve failed. Still a buffer of 2-3k miles seems wise.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Last edited: