Sponsored

Headers install cost?

SmileForTheRearView

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just bought headers and I know it’s a pain on jack stands but has anyone from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, or Arkansas paid a shop to do it? Trying to figure out prices near me and if you reccomend someone.

I would rather do it myself but not having a lift close to me makes things difficult.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is very doable on jack stands. You just need to get the three legged jack stands that Lift the car 20” off of the ground. No need to remove the K member either. Support the transmission with a scissor jack and some phone books to prevent damage to the housing. Buy yourself the jack stands and scissor jack instead of paying for labor and you’ have them for routine maintenance.

Here are the ones I bought for my header installation.

https://www.amazon.com/ESCO-10498-J...t=&hvlocphy=9023918&hvtargid=pla-815813122219

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bullitt-long-tube-header-installation.147899/#post-3023313

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I also have done 2 header installs on jack stands. Once on my old 17GT and again on my 20GT. Its not as bad as most make it out to be. The 17 was easier than it was on the 20. There is less clearance on the 18+ cars due to the a/c system. If you do decide to install them yourself a couple other recommendations are to get a 15mm ratcheting wrench. Leave the passenger side converter on the factory header and remove as one piece. Remove the battery and battery box for some extra access as well. Double check clearance on the steering shaft on drivers side. I put a dimple in my header tube to give me extra clearance but you can shift the motor on the mounts a 1/2" or so as well.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Paid $450 to have mine installed. Only piece I didn't install myself and I don't regret it one bit.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Just bought headers and I know it’s a pain on jack stands but has anyone from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, or Arkansas paid a shop to do it? Trying to figure out prices near me and if you reccomend someone.

I would rather do it myself but not having a lift close to me makes things difficult.
Many shops wont want to install headers now....

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What brand headers did you buy OP? That may have some bearing on labor cost, due to reports that some brands are more of a PITA to install than others, therefore pricing may reflect such. I would say if you can find a nice clean shop that is willing to do it for $800, you’ve found a good deal.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Just yesterday I was quoted 6-8 hours depending on the brand at two different reputable shops. Up here in my neck of the woods it’s going to be a bit pricey at $150/hr. But I guess once you were to convert to USD it would be closer to $675-900
So that $450 USD Zelek paid seems like a really good price to me.

Jhamp232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Don’t know what a shop is gonna charge, but want to jump on the ‘you can do it’ bandwagon. Having installed a few sets, I would install on jackstands again for $400 if they are Kooks or equivalent. I would pass on the job if they are 2M junk or equivalent.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmileForTheRearView

SmileForTheRearView

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Many shops wont want to install headers now....
Yeah I know the current situation but figure that’s not made it’s way to shops yet. Hate I waited till now but only had car 7 months so was trying to get used to it stock before looking to add power.

OP
OP
SmileForTheRearView

SmileForTheRearView

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Don’t know what a shop is gonna charge, but want to jump on the ‘you can do it’ bandwagon. Having installed a few sets, I would install on jackstands again for $400 if they are Kooks or equivalent. I would pass on the job if they are 2M junk or equivalent.
I’ve seen dozens of people on these forums running 2M, I know it’s not one of the name brands like kooks but why do you think it’s junk?

Jhamp232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have personal experience trying to install them and they completely screwed the pooch on the passenger side piping. From flange to outer wall of cylinder 2 was like 6.5”
Never would have fit without mangling the pipe and severely restricting flow. I can send you pics of stock vs 2M vs Kooks if you want to see how bad it was. Their welds were great, their design was absolute trash.
I’m sure dozens of people have installed them successfully. But did they pay someone to install them? And did that someone crush the pipes to make it fit and get paid? I’d bet on it.
It’s too much of a gamble to be worth it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
man, sounds like you GT have a miserable job swapping those headers. Didn't realize they was that much of a pain in ass.

I appreciate 2 bolts, dropping downpipe. and swapping, 20minute job lol.

OP
OP
SmileForTheRearView

SmileForTheRearView

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have personal experience trying to install them and they completely screwed the pooch on the passenger side piping. From flange to outer wall of cylinder 2 was like 6.5”
Never would have fit without mangling the pipe and severely restricting flow. I can send you pics of stock vs 2M vs Kooks if you want to see how bad it was. Their welds were great, their design was absolute trash.
I’m sure dozens of people have installed them successfully. But did they pay someone to install them? And did that someone crush the pipes to make it fit and get paid? I’d bet on it.
It’s too much of a gamble to be worth it.
Yeah please send those 3 comparisons. More information is never a bad thing.
Sponsored