Sponsored

Average cost of headers install?

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
If you pay more than $600 for the install, then you're overpaying and that's the best price you'll probably in Southern Cali...so you should be able to find something cheaper at your location.
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Not hijacking the thread but I assume you are referring to Dwayne Big Daddy Guthridge? Does he still own/race that Black LX???
Big Daddies is closed down. We (JDM Engineering) are one of the only actual shops left in the area besides a few one man shows. We are $130/hr and that is lower than some dealers in the area. Headers with a cat back is 8-10 hours when not rushed. We use all upgraded hardware and face all flange surfaces to ensure there are no leaks down the road. You get what you pay for as far as work goes. We have had to redo other shops shoddy work quite often which means you end up paying for the same job twice.

But I do agree Mike at Big Daddy did some great work and even helped me out with my vehicles in the past. He is down in Florida now working at BBR.

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Not hijacking the thread but I assume you are referring to Dwayne Big Daddy Guthridge? Does he still own/race that Black LX???
Correct.

I think he had the car for sale and wrecked it sometime last year...not sure what he did with it after.

[ame]

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Big Daddies is closed down. We (JDM Engineering) are one of the only actual shops left in the area besides a few one man shows. We are $130/hr and that is lower than some dealers in the area. Headers with a cat back is 8-10 hours when not rushed. We use all upgraded hardware and face all flange surfaces to ensure there are no leaks down the road. You get what you pay for as far as work goes. We have had to redo other shops shoddy work quite often which means you end up paying for the same job twice.

But I do agree Mike at Big Daddy did some great work and even helped me out with my vehicles in the past. He is down in Florida now working at BBR.
Good sales pitch. And Im sure you guys do fine work but your far from the only shop in south jersey. My race car is currently at kasper korner getting some wiring done. I wouldn't take anything to radical racing. But they are very cheap option because craig will work for food right now because of the bankruptcy. You just have to stand there and watch the flighty little prick do the work. Or your car will be there two weeks! Lots of shops around. And I can do the headers myself in the time frame you mentioned in the driveway. Your cost of $1040-1300 for a header/catback install seams extremely high to me.

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Good sales pitch. And Im sure you guys do fine work but your far from the only shop in south jersey. My race car is currently at kasper korner getting some wiring done. I wouldn't take anything to radical racing. But they are very cheap option because craig will work for food right now because of the bankruptcy. You just have to stand there and watch the flighty little prick do the work. Or your car will be there two weeks! Lots of shops around. And I can do the headers myself in the time frame you mentioned in the driveway. Your cost of $1040-1300 for a header/catback install seams extremely high to me.
No doubt we are on the higher end of the cost spectrum I wont argue that. Some people like to be able to drop their car off for work an pick it up with performance parts installed in such a way that it looks like it came factory along with our guarantee. Others like to tackle the work themselves and feel great about doing so (I know I do).

Some people are on a budget and others have better things to do with 10 hours instead of finagling headers onto their brand new Mustang on jack stands.

We know we can't please everyone but we stick to our extremely high level of detail on all projects. That recipe has worked for us since JDM opened in the late 90s...

Sponsored

AF_ONE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F800, 2.9 Whipple

$130 an hour--you must be kidding. Why do auto mechanics think that's an fair wage for turning wrenches--other professions, like nursing that require a college degree, passing a certification state test and are ther assisting during you surgery, saving lives etc, don't make $40 an hour. Teachers teaching your kids, Law Enforcement, not even $40. $130 an hour to install headers or change oil--your on another planet

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
$130 an hour--you must be kidding. Why do auto mechanics think that's an fair wage for turning wrenches--other professions, like nursing that require a college degree, passing a certification state test and are there assisting during you surgery, saving lives etc, don't make $40 an hour. Teachers teaching your kids, Law Enforcement, not even $40. $130 an hour to install headers or change oil--your on another planet
Apples and Oranges my friend - That is a nasty dig at our mechanic brothers sisters. Those who know their work and are willing to pay--will. Those who can't will go elsewhere.

Thats the skill of having a successful business, generate the proper income to keep the doors open. If every business determined their rates by what other "industries are doing" I will show you a boarded up establishment. Lets no sell short the skills and what it takes to acquire them.

If i had to guess, I'm sure the mechanic only gets a cut of the rate, shop has to make also. How much, that should be up to the shop to keep their doors open.

Just my 2 cents (opinion)

Carry On :cheers:

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
$130 an hour--you must be kidding. Why do auto mechanics think that's an fair wage for turning wrenches--other professions, like nursing that require a college degree, passing a certification state test and are ther assisting during you surgery, saving lives etc, don't make $40 an hour. Teachers teaching your kids, Law Enforcement, not even $40. $130 an hour to install headers or change oil--your on another planet
A) If you don't like the price that they charge for their (skilled, when it comes to doing performance work on cars) labor, you don't have to go. That's the beauty of the free market.

B) The mechanic isn't getting that $130/hour, there's overhead you have to think about as well. Just the same as a lawyer that bills out at $400 doesn't get $400/hr, etc etc. Tools/materials/mortgage or lease/insurance/electricity isn't free, you know...

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
Local shops are $400-600 here.

lsxlol

Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 white gt On3 TT // ID1000s // BAP // Corsa Xt
I am in NC I paid 400

Sponsored

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Anything above $600 is too much

and this coming from prices in Southern Cali.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
WTAF 1200?!?!

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I am in NC I paid 400
Where in NC if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about doing headers down the road and wouldn't have a problem doing them myself, but for $400, I'd be very tempted to have a shop do them instead since I don't have access to a lift.

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
I do them locally out of my garage for people. Have installed 10+ sets on 11+ mustangs. Two sets so far on 15+ mustangs. I charge $200. I just did sick03L's on here.
Sponsored