Sponsored

BBK Long Tube Headers 2018 Install

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Hi all,

I have just installed 2017 bbk long tube headers on my 2018 mustang. I am writing this to let you others know that they do not fit on the passenger side. I made mine fit by heating up the one pipe that was in the way and banging it into the shape i needed to fit around the AC compressor.

It was an enormous pain. Due to how these headers are designed i had to put the motor mount on before the passenger side header went in and work around it.

I also had to extend the driver side upstream 02 sensor as the extensions that came with the kit were for the 17 and below 02 sensors.

Took me about 12 hours of actual labor hours. Car was on 4 floor jack stands. Passenger side took me about 9 hours. Drivers side took about 1.5. The rest of the time was for the mid-pipe and clean up.

Point is, if you get these, you will have to form one of the pipes to shape otherwise it will not fit at all.
20180702_200436-min (1).jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Good looking out, OP!

You should have taken a picture of what the headers looked like after conforming them to make them fit.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Good looking out, OP!

You should have taken a picture of what the headers looked like after conforming them to make them fit.
Good idea. I remembered i actually took a picture of this. I added it to the original post.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, you beat the piss out of that header! Are you concerned at all about exhaust flow?

Btw, join "S550 Mustangs NYC" on Facebook!

Sponsored

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Damn, you beat the piss out of that header! Are you concerned at all about exhaust flow?

Btw, join "S550 Mustangs NYC" on Facebook!
Not at all. There is actually an Engine Masters episode in regards to this as this type of thing as it is not that uncommon. The link for the episode is below but essentially they did not lose power and sort of gained some. Either way that was not much of a dent anyway and only on one tube. As far as back pressure, it would create such a tiny amount more that it would be completely unnoticeable. So no worries there. After these headers and a tune. The car got a lot faster. I will be doing a dyno tune soon, but my butt dyno tells me it is notably faster.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/...ash-testing-power-loss-from-dents/0_ujj8a8mw/

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Yikes! Good looking out to let others know. I agree it probably won't affect performance much if at all but my OCD would kill me over that. I know what its like to be in the middle of a multi hour install and get stuck like this and just say EFF it though!

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Yikes! Good looking out to let others know. I agree it probably won't affect performance much if at all but my OCD would kill me over that. I know what its like to be in the middle of a multi hour install and get stuck like this and just say EFF it though!
Lol yeah. At that point i already spent 3 or 4 hours taking out the stock one. I was not going to let that stop me. Plus i do not really mind. It is only visible under the car and only if you use flashlight and look behind the motor mount.

The crazy part is that these (https://lmr.com/item/BBK-16330/2011-Mustang-50L-Bbk-1-3-4-Full-Length-Ceramic-Headers) are the exact ones i bought and as you can see it says 2018. I did not buy them from there, i bought them from american muscle. And it does says 2015-2017 once you click on the link even though its in the section for 2018.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
When you saw they wouldnt fit correctly why not return them for a set that fits?

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
When you saw they wouldnt fit correctly why not return them for a set that fits?
Simply because i wanted these specific headers and at the point when they would not fit, i had already spend 3 or 4 hours of labor taking the stocks manifold off. I did not know they wouldn't fit until i tried to put them on after everything was out. I knew the heating and denting method works as i have done it before, and i had no interest in putting back the stock ones or dealing with shipping them back and getting new ones.

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
How are these headers holding up?

I found some cheap local, but I don't see many people install these on the S550s..
The ones I did find people said the passenger was a bitch. lol

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
So far so good. Not a single issue, very happy with the purchase. Even though it was quite a pain to install. I did it on 4 jack stands in a garage. With a lift it would have been far easier. But If I were to do it over again, i would buy ones that fit correctly even they are a bit pricier.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
So far so good. Not a single issue, very happy with the purchase. Even though it was quite a pain to install. I did it on 4 jack stands in a garage. With a lift it would have been far easier. But If I were to do it over again, i would buy ones that fit correctly even they are a bit pricier.

Thanks for the feedback.