Handling

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I’ve had a few track-days with my completely stock 2020 GT PP1 Magneride setup (PS4S on factory staggered 19’s) and did not feel comfortable at all. My daily driven Lexus GS350 FSport on lowering springs was 2-4mph faster around the corners and track - which was flat (11 corners, 2 straights 125mph+ on each), tires were Nitto NT555 G2’s and 150 less hp. It was very comfortable.
I was almost embarrassed I was so slow in the S550 GT due to how hard it was to control the power and how slow it was in corners. Did not feel planted around corners at all.
Just did Steeda dual rate springs and Steeda camber plates (no alignment yet, waiting on springs to settle but I’m guessing it’s -2.5) with 19x10 squared Apex 10’s and Eagle Supercar 3’s in 285/35/19 - just around town, light years better. The horrible feeling of understeer in the front is gone. Incredibly excited to get back out on track.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Leave the factory rims in place. No need to mess with that cars wheels and tires unless you're changing the tires to a same size less aggressive compound for the cooler weather.

More less playing what if. Do not find any thing the car lacks as it is . Once at the apex of a turn, can start & keep adding speed pulling out. What a ride :cool:

Sticking (unintentional pun) with the cup2, car is not a DD

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I’ve had a few track-days with my completely stock 2020 GT PP1 Magneride setup (PS4S on factory staggered 19’s) and did not feel comfortable at all. My daily driven Lexus GS350 FSport on lowering springs was 2-4mph faster around the corners and track - which was flat (11 corners, 2 straights 125mph+ on each), tires were Nitto NT555 G2’s and 150 less hp. It was very comfortable.
I was almost embarrassed I was so slow in the S550 GT due to how hard it was to control the power and how slow it was in corners. Did not feel planted around corners at all.
Just did Steeda dual rate springs and Steeda camber plates (no alignment yet, waiting on springs to settle but I’m guessing it’s -2.5) with 19x10 squared Apex 10’s and Eagle Supercar 3’s in 285/35/19 - just around town, light years better. The horrible feeling of understeer in the front is gone. Incredibly excited to get back out on track.
if you stare at the ps4s, the rain grooves of the front tires are gigantic and probably Ford specific. So the real stagger is prob ~240-275 or something absurd. Going to a square setup and a bit front camber is darn useful.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
While the pp1 may be a "Mild" upgrade, I sure am liken' those big Brembo's and that Torsen 3.73. I like the idea of attaching the back to the car. So go all in you say? Is there a preferred method to take? I read about shearing bolts and/or drilling bushings which I'm not afraid to do. However, if the reward isn't worth the time and effort......
An interesting comparison may be to the Ford Racing School Cars.

PP
Track Pack
Square wheel & tires (rear 9.5" PP wheels all around [needs a front spacer])
Camber plates
and I think more track oriented pads

No "stop the hop" rear diff stuff, which if you ever autocross or time trial, will bump you up 3 or 4 classes.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
No "stop the hop" rear diff stuff, which if you ever autocross or time trial, will bump you up 3 or 4 classes.
wow, really? So fixing the car so it's not a hopeless noodle is a class change?

Just because the Ford Racing School car is drivable (for some definition of the term) doesn't mean I have to like the experience or want for more/better.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Hopefully you repost after you're no longer almost embarrassed to be driving a mustang. Maybe if you had the lowering springs on the Stang and not the Lexus...

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
An interesting comparison may be to the Ford Racing School Cars.

PP
Track Pack
Square wheel & tires (rear 9.5" PP wheels all around [needs a front spacer])
Camber plates
and I think more track oriented pads

yeah but this car are made to go on truck day in day out and use cheap Goodridge tires and the goal is to make this cars cheap and easy to build not to win CAMC or T2 classes.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully you repost after you're no longer almost embarrassed to be driving a mustang. Maybe if you had the lowering springs on the Stang and not the Lexus...
Or at least a bit more HPDE training / experience :) Driver mod is always better than stop the hop kit and a big list of updates.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Anyone knows how 2018+ PP1 compares to 2015-2017 Performance Package? There was only one that time.

I've had my stock 2017 PP at autocross and some HPDE and did not feel scared of uncomfortable in the car.

One thing I do not like though is staggered wheels. As you wear them a bit front tires will have more traction than rears due to less wear. So the car becomes more oversteerish to the point I lost control over the car at freeway entrance to my surprise. I replaced rear tires and went to HPDE and in this case (new rears, fronts with around 50% wear) it was difficult to get the rar to rotate.

So if you think about it you car balance changes all the time.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone knows how 2018+ PP1 compares to 2015-2017 Performance Package? There was only one that time.

I've had my stock 2017 PP at autocross and some HPDE and did not feel scared of uncomfortable in the car.

One thing I do not like though is staggered wheels. As you wear them a bit front tires will have more traction than rears due to less wear. So the car becomes more oversteerish to the point I lost control over the car at freeway entrance to my surprise. I replaced rear tires and went to HPDE and in this case (new rears, fronts with around 50% wear) it was difficult to get the rar to rotate.

So if you think about it you car balance changes all the time.
275/35 fit on all 4 wheels in the PP1 that's what I drive 2017 PP with 275/35/19 for track on OEM wheels handles great. Once I go through my fronts I swap them to the back.

Last edited:

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
275/35 fit on all 4 wheels in the PP1 that's what I drive 2017 PP with 275/35/19 for track on OEM tires handles great. Once I go through my fronts I swap them to the back.
You mean you have stock staggered wheels but 275/35/19 tires all around?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You mean you have stock staggered wheels but 275/35/19 tires all around?
Yeah I run them only for track obviously but on the street is ok as well.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
275/35 fit on all 4 wheels in the PP1 that's what I drive 2017 PP with 275/35/19 for track on OEM wheels handles great. Once I go through my fronts I swap them to the back.
I'm a bit confused here :question:

275/35 on 9" wide wheels is doable but not optimal for cornering/handling.

Norm

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a bit confused here :question:

275/35 on 9" wide wheels is doable but not optimal for cornering/handling.

Norm
PP 9" wheels are actually a bit wider than most other offerings. It works great at least based on the fact that I dropped a lot of time on my local track and it reduced understeer by a big margin. I think this is the cheapest option to run square obviously having camber plates and -2.2 camber helps with the handling and running 275/35 on 9"

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
PP 9" wheels are actually a bit wider than most other offerings.
9" is 9" (and is the bead to bead measurement, inside the flanges. Not the outside to outside overall width, which is about an inch wider).

It works great at least based on the fact that I dropped a lot of time on my local track and it reduced understeer by a big margin.
Compared to what - 255/40's? Yeah, in that case you ought to have gained some ultimate grip. But you've given up a little turn-in response and precision/linearity along the way.

I think this is the cheapest option to run square obviously having camber plates and -2.2 camber helps with the handling and running 275/35 on 9"
9.5" all around would be a bit better, unless you're operating under some sort of restriction against changing wheel widths from OEM.

Norm
Sponsored