Grabber Lime 2020 GT Build Thread

s1ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What amazes me with this utter fruitloop is he claims he has no time to drive this car. yet manages to find time to fuck about with it non stop.
never see a garage either. someone with manic OCD like this has to have a heated garage..
feel sorry for his wife having to live with a loony like this.
BOOK A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT ASAP and get some help
go back to your sad little life and out of here!
Sponsored

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I go swimming and come home to find out I have missed out on all the fun ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
He definitely has a crush on you :D haha
Nice that he goes to the lengths of creating a new account each time, he must care a great deal!

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Damn, I go swimming and come home to find out I have missed out on all the fun ... :cwl:

I saw his/her lame post this afternoon and reported it. Was soon gone.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
some folks are handling lockdown better than others that's for sure. Reading what other people are doing to their cars and seeing the results is great, certainly cheaper than doing it myself on my own car (and making a mess of it) haha

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sucked out the catch can :

D23-AB0-E6-4434-488-D-BB50-524-A167300-EC.jpg

It’s collecting just under 7ml per 1000 miles :

FFC979-D4-ECD3-4-BCB-9-B83-6-DDD55-CBB8-D7.jpg

The oldest daughter will kill me if she sees that photo and knows what I get up to with her baking kit … :giggle:

Happy with that considering the car doesn’t get ‘easy’ driving (it’s only just done it’s fourth commute), as it’s my second car every drive is ‘play time’ and I like to let it rev … :devil:

Oil consumption is doing OK, it’s fair to say it’s ‘under’ 300ml per 1000 miles and I believe the gen 3 coyotes take a little to settle down anyway (the spray in liners are hard). If I could remember exactly where it was on the dip stick other than ‘under max / somewhere in the hashed area) or taken a photo, I could have been a little more accurate with that number :facepalm:

Took the opportunity of the unusually hot weather to waxoyl the inside of the hood :

53-DB974-A-E70-E-4-E1-F-BCF4-F1011-B76-B41-C.jpg

It goes like water inside a really hot hood so I cycled the hood up and down until it was running out of every drain hole around the outside edges - probably took about half a can plus a bit more.

Cleaned up the mess and other than the smell, you would never know it was there. Maybe it will help in later life, maybe it won’t … ?

So after sorting the hood vents and adding the waxoyl the new hood blanket went on :

B091-DE46-E107-433-D-9705-E389306-D68-D9.jpg

If anyone was wondering why it was new it’s because it was a warranty claim as the first one got holes rubbed in it. The throttle elbow was rotated incorrectly when it was fitted, that lifts the end of the elbow and pulls the air box up a bit = holes in the hood blanket started to show at less than 500 miles … :frown:

That arrow should be at 12 o’clock :

3-DCFBC7-B-FD8-B-4-BB7-A692-844-B547-AB96-F.jpg

And rotating it the 10mm or so to put it in the right position drops the far end of the elbow about 15 to 20mm.

I had actually corrected the issue and enquired about buying a new hood blanket, but when I found the cost we pushed it down the warranty route. My dealer was great as I had all the before / after photos etc :like:

Washed it today. Got another coat of turtle wax hybrid on the hood, roof and trunk, then clayed the sides and mirrors and got a first coat on them :sunglasses:

I had taken the chrome pony’s out of the rear wheel caps when the rear wheels were off. I scuffed them up with a 3M pad, cleaned them with thinners and then added two coats of etch primer and two coats of satin black :

B9262113-EDD1-4-D6-C-AF36-8-E38266-DC46-A.jpg

I will let them cure on the window sill for a few days and then pop them back in, they should compliment the blacked out wheels nicely :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The oldest daughter will kill me if she sees that photo and knows what I get up to with her baking kit …
dear god, I hope you didn't! I don't want to even contemplate what my chocolate chip cookie recipe tasted like with motor oil instead of molasses in the dough.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
dear god, I hope you didn't! I don't want to even contemplate what my chocolate chip cookie recipe tasted like with motor oil instead of molasses in the dough.
She still hasn't made me those cookies ! But I believe I am getting flapjacks and homemade blackberry jam this week now the school holidays have kicked off :like:

Got to show it off a little before the rain starts again, I think this is its fourth, maybe fifth time into work now :like:

Cleanest commuter on the carpark, but then there wasn't many there (only reason I took it) ... :giggle:

984706-D2-5135-4-C3-C-B04-F-D9-CDB9-D86803.jpg

E5-A0-AF1-C-FD0-E-48-D3-8-F06-3-FE10-D2-ED83-D.jpg

Its funny how people get an impression of you based on circumstances - one guy at work who hasn't seen it before told be it was a well out of character for me, yet others who know me outside of work tell me 'that's you all over ...' :wink:

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
Such a beautiful car with great attention to detail. Top work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not much to report this week – Sunday plans went to crap as my misses took a tumble off her bike so things changed quite quickly with an unexpected pick up (glad of the Sportage as a second car !) followed by a bike inspection and then the start of the repairs … :frown:

I did finally find a new / boxed / original Ford 15-17 blank decklid panel :

9-D37379-D-8-DC2-40-D6-949-D-F96-A28-F343-E0.jpg

I just had to pull some decals off it first, fortunately they came off very easily :

F7-EBE433-E947-4472-81-BD-AD3-DC18-FB03-F.jpg

I also clicked in the rear pony centre caps, very pleased with the look and the overall difference they make to the look of the car when you are aiming to get rid of all the chrome :

0-DD3-D8-A2-95-ED-4-F01-BAF0-F53231451-C6-C.jpg

This was the temporary measure I had been using (plastic nut caps / silver pony) :

F58-B45-E1-D772-4845-9851-BEDB1-AA6-ABAF.jpg

And this is what Ford gave me to start with :

85562337-A44-A-45-F2-9288-6-C3-B50917499.jpg

Whilst we are on about nuts, I also had a ‘discussion’ with another forum user on the correct size socket for the standard stainless capped nuts that the car came with. I got called out for quoting 13/16” rather than 21mm so after “Not bloody likely. Any other bright ideas?” and “Maybe the problem is you're just not very good at working on your own car” I found a bit of unexpected spare time on my hands so I decided to make the following short video :

Not that it matters anymore as most people opt for Gorilla’s (21mm) or the awkward sods that pick McGard’s (22mm) ... :giggle:

I also posted this info on the MOCGB forum after an owner on there has got big oil consumption issues after a ‘gentle’ running in procedure – seeing as how this thread is my car journal I might as well add the info in here :

-------------------------------------------------------

Hhmmm, that’s very interesting and a dilemma that I was also faced with.

I did a lot of reading and came to the conclusion that the spray in bore lining of the gen 3 engines is very hard and needs a reasonably tough break in period.

I use the Mustang as a second car so I got the choice of when and where I drove it (and who I had in the car with me i.e. no kids), I guess that helped a lot.

I applied these rules :

• I am mechanically sympathetic (letting it warm up properly etc).
  • No letting the engine labour (no driving under 2k – other than the first gear 0.5 mile run to get me off the estate / over the speed humps).
  • No cruise control (other than checking it worked).
  • No 5th or 6th (other than checking Ford remembered to fit them in the box).
  • 4th only occasionally (only when road speed was quite high).
  • No constant throttle (I was pretty much either on the gas or letting it overrun).
  • I used full throttle as often as possible (once ‘properly’ warm), but I limited the revs as per :

Off the forecourt = 4k
100 to 250 = 4.5k
250 to 400 = 5k
400 to 550 = 5.5k
550 to 700 = 6k
700 to 850 = 6.5k
850 to 1000 = 7k
1000+ = still experimenting with the best place for the shift light so I don’t buzz the factory limiter.

• I used the factory shift light set to the above schedule to remind me when to change, I might have ignored it on the odd occasion …

About 90% of my running in was done at night on quiet roads and maybe approaching 30% of that was done on either a local dual carriageway that has traffic lights approximately every 0.7 miles or another section of dual carriageway that’s 0.4 mile long with a roundabout at each end. Both roads have a good surface and no residential or business properties on them and no side roads, junctions or bridges i.e. perfect fun roads for repeat cycles of acceleration and overrun ;-) (side note – the diff warms up very quickly on the 0.4 mile roundabout road).

After 500 miles I started to use the brakes with a bit more anger (pulled a 1.04g after a gauge reset and a high to low speed brake i.e. not just a sharp jab of the pedal).

I only really started to rush the gearbox / clutch after about 750 miles.

I think my oil consumption and what my breather caught is pretty low, especially for the first 1000 miles and also considering how I ran it in – can’t say the same for my MPG though … lol. That’s hovered between 12 and 14 (UK gallon for any of our stateside friends reading this), but that’s not really what we bought these cars for is it …

Time will tell how it all worked out but as this cars bought outright and is a keeper, it will be me that has to live with my decisions.

-------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the nut and running in info will be useful / interesting for some, maybe it won’t … :like:

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not much to report ... :frown:

Spare time at weekend was spent replacing a control arm on my daily (Sportage). Should have been a 20 min job but the camber bolt was seized in so it had to be cut out and replaced :

E4-D7-D202-08-AE-462-A-955-C-AFF47-AB3-DC04.jpg

Can’t complain too much, that’s the first what I would class as a non wear item I have done on it in 10 years and 60k. 60K might not be a lot for a control arm, but that’s what a typical (non lockdown) 78 speed hump day does for your suspension … :headbang:

Back on the Mustang. I had kept quiet about the delivery damage / warranty claims I had on the car from new (didn’t want to jinx it), but now they are all done and I have the costs, I will share details accordingly :like:

Items that Ford did wrong at Flat Rock :
  • Hood blanket.
  • Drivers side inner door panel.
Items that got damaged during transport :
  • Passenger side door mirror cap repaint.
  • Front bumper repaint.
  • Front splitter.
  • Recaro drivers side leather seat base cover.
  • Recaro drivers side plastic seat base trim.
  • Lower drivers side door sill trim.
  • Lower drivers side A pillar trim.
  • Drivers side inner door panel.
Note that the drivers side inner door panel appears on both lists because A) Ford fitted the wrong item and B) they then kicked and scuffed it during transport ! The slightly annoying thing is that I fixed the door panel (using heat) so it didn't need replacement, stood back to admire my work and then noticed it didn't match the passenger side ... :facepalm:

1629876163188.png

The bumper and mirror cap were repainted before I accepted the car, but adding the other bits up and adding on the VAT that list comes to £2051.89 so maybe £2500 ish with the paint work … ? :shock:

I appreciate Ford will see less cost than that but even so, transport damage must be getting on someone’s radar somewhere … ?

Don’t think mine was a one off either – remember I was lucky enough to see mine straight off the transporter, so some / most of these issues would have been hidden from the average buyer.

I even heard a rumour that a brand new Mustang got sent to auction rather than sold by Ford. I believe it had transport related undercar damage that was only found after delivery and after the claim limit on the transport company had passed. Ford choose to put it through auction rather than repair and sell it from the forecourt :frown:

Anyhow, nice weather, three days back in the office and a quiet office car park has had me commuting in it a few times lately. That’s resulted in a bump in MPG from mid 12’s to mid 14’s (A large UK gallon for anyone stateside reading this). Is that something to be happy about, or does it mean I’m missing out on driving the car like it deserves … ? :devil:

Spotted this when I filled up this week :

6304183-A-762-A-46-F6-9-B96-7-BF6-A2178-A22.jpg

240-A46-FA-2-ABC-4-FD5-BC6-A-F96-A1-CFD5-F9-D.jpg

I asked its owner who had bought the silliest colour and he claimed it was him – he seemed like a nice guy but I wasn’t going to argue (picture a white Mike Tyson complete with facial tattoos).

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
The more I see grabber lime, the more I love it. :like:

Thought about colour matching the brake calipers?

G18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt
Grabber lime - Vidak edition? Hi I am interested in buying an auto convertible 5.0 facelift. I have seen a grabber lime car advertised on Autotrader called a VIDAK edition does anyone know anything about this edition? I’ve googled it but can not find any more info?

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The more I see grabber lime, the more I love it. :like:

Thought about colour matching the brake calipers?
Thank you, Grabber Lime is defo better in the flesh than photos would suggest :like:

I do wonder about the callipers but if I was forced into doing them tomorrow, I think I would most likely do the rears in grey to match the fronts.

It seems a shame to apply an aftermarket finish to the fronts when they are still in good condition - maybe in a few years if they start to age … :wink:

Grabber lime - Vidak edition? Hi I am interested in buying an auto convertible 5.0 facelift. I have seen a grabber lime car advertised on Autotrader called a VIDAK edition does anyone know anything about this edition? I’ve googled it but can not find any more info?
As far as I am aware, the only ‘official’ UK special edition available for the grabber lime / 2020 model year was the 55 edition.

Thats not to say that some aftermarket tuning or styling shop didn’t create the Vidak.

I would be interested to know more especially if you buy it - please keep us updated :like:

Sponsored