Sponsored

FL 2087 update (interesting information)

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You are 100% incorrect. The MM does state what he just posted. I have read it before in the law. A manufacturer must provide the part for free if they require you to use their part only and no aftermarket versions

Your gas example is totally flawed. Ford doesn't produce gas. There is no Ford brand gas or Ford performance brand gas so they would never have to provide free gas.
Again, we'd have to read it carefully. I imagine it says if the Warranter is the single source (which Ford is not). If you can buy the FL2087 from anyone else, I'm imagining that Ford with all their in house and consultant attorneys, isn't going to expose themselves to suit or fine multiple times (at least not where it doesn't make sense).

Ford specs quite a few things that are one choice, but you can get them from many sources on the market. Motorcraft Yellow for instance. I'd have to see if there's an aftermarket/Non-Ford for the brake fluid.

I can see a provision where if the OEM is the ONLY source for an item, but even then, if the requirement was clear and up front and it was established that the part was/is readily available and comparable to other in kind parts on the market, in terms of price and value (funny thing about law is, buried somewhere is usually some case law where this has been adjudicated before).

Again, I find it more likely there's another minor (but crucial) piece to the story than "Ford is fucked, they're supposed to give us all free filters by law." But I'm also not beyond being wrong. Stranger things.
Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
You are 100% incorrect. The MM does state what he just posted. I have read it before in the law. A manufacturer must provide the part for free if they require you to use their part only and no aftermarket versions

Your gas example is totally flawed. Ford doesn't produce gas. There is no Ford brand gas or Ford performance brand gas so they would never have to provide free gas.
The gas example was clearly intended to be a hypothetical example.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Again, we'd have to read it carefully. I imagine it says if the Warranter is the single source (which Ford is not). If you can buy the FL2087 from anyone else, I'm imagining that Ford with all their in house and consultant attorneys, isn't going to expose themselves to suit or fine multiple times (at least not where it doesn't make sense).

Ford specs quite a few things that are one choice, but you can get them from many sources on the market. Motorcraft Yellow for instance. I'd have to see if there's an aftermarket/Non-Ford for the brake fluid.

I can see a provision where if the OEM is the ONLY source for an item, but even then, if the requirement was clear and up front and it was established that the part was/is readily available and comparable to other in kind parts on the market, in terms of price and value (funny thing about law is, buried somewhere is usually some case law where this has been adjudicated before).

Again, I find it more likely there's another minor (but crucial) piece to the story than "Ford is fucked, they're supposed to give us all free filters by law." But I'm also not beyond being wrong. Stranger things.
I see what you are saying and I guess it is somewhat grey. To me, Ford sells the Ford/Motor raft part to their dealer network. The MM really talks about OEM vs Aftermarket and protects us.

I still believe Ford would be held to offer them for free if they do not let us buy aftermarket alternatives made to their standards. And to add, does every after market meet their standards, that's a loaded question in itself.

Another example would be if they required us to use Motorcraft oil even though mobil 1 had a version that met their spec. Ford would have to provide it to us for free.

Now if there was no aftermarket alternative, then we would have no choice then to pay for it from Ford.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It's strange that you can get these filters all day long in Canada. It seems that either Canada doesn't have the supply chain issue or that they had a significant stockpile and limited demand.

Oh, and they won't ship them....
Yup. It really is a mystery as to the stock disparity. When I spoke to the guy at the parts department he was shocked there was a shortage in the USA.

Demand is certainly lower in Canada since ~10% of the total GT350s sold were in Canada (as near as I can ascertain). But that means that there should only be ~10% of the total FL-2087s shipped to Canada.

What is particularly perplexing is that the FL-2087 appears to be made in USA (at least it says "Majority content made in USA" on the box).

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm at the point where I'm going to be looking for a filter soon. I changed my oil before 1000 miles...I'm only at 3000 now but it's been almost a year at this point.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm at the point where I'm going to be looking for a filter soon. I changed my oil before 1000 miles...I'm only at 3000 now but it's been almost a year at this point.
You know my number.

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Seriously, just plug in this # KR3Z-6A832-A in Google and buy it from one of the MANY Ford dealerships in the US for under $60. You avoid the whole eBay mess.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Seriously, just plug in this # KR3Z-6A832-A in Google and buy it from one of the MANY Ford dealerships in the US for under $60. You avoid the whole eBay mess.
Is this what you've done? Because most of them listed will eventually give you a cancelled order (or an immediate update that it's backordered with no ETA for ship date). Which dealer is shipping filters right now?

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Is this what you've done? Because most of them listed will eventually give you a cancelled order (or an immediate update that it's backordered with no ETA for ship date). Which dealer is shipping filters right now?
Tasca is who I used.

Sponsored

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
You are searching for the filter / housing combo.

I was searching for the filter, that is what my post was stating. The FL2087 filter is listed as not for sale.