Sponsored

First Oil Change - Filter Help

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I picked up the FL-500 yesterday. I can't believe how small these filters are compared to the FL-1A that I am used to using on my old 429 Super Cobra Jet. My oil filter wrench doesn't even get that small. I have to go get a new wrench or do I even need one - I am doing my first oil change later tonight.

And these are supposed to last way longer due to longer synthetic changes. Does the oil just not get that dirty on these engines? WTF?
Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I picked up the FL-500 yesterday. I can't believe how small these filters are compared to the FL-1A that I am used to using on my old 429 Super Cobra Jet. My oil filter wrench doesn't even get that small. I have to go get a new wrench or do I even need one - I am doing my first oil change later tonight.

And these are supposed to last way longer due to longer synthetic changes. Does the oil just not get that dirty on these engines? WTF?
You really shouldn't need a wrench. Oil filters are never supposed to be more then hand tight. Tho my Turbo Veloster's oil filter was on so damn tight, and my filter wrench was slipping, I had to drill holes through it and put the bit through to use as a handle. It actually moved the entire assembly a quarter inch by the time it gave. My Mustang's first oil change tho the factory filter came off with just using a rag for some grip.

And I always fill the filter, but honestly I don't include the filter oil as part of the 8 quarts, guess I should be, but I have always filled the filter and then put the recommended amount in. I suppose it would only hurt if it were a big massive filter.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I am going to pick up a smaller wrench tomorrow just in case The Rock was working that day.

I'll throw a bit in the filter as long as it looks like it won't get too messy. I will be doing this in my garage which is pretty tidy and I am a bit of a neat freak. lol

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
thread on the filter handtight, then another half turn. Hate it when places crank down the filter like their life depended on it. Filters have a gasket now that helps it stay tight

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP

I had to go get a new wrench. just picked it up for the next oil changes - this time I could take it off by hand barely.

I have no idea, people seem to say that the first oil change has some metal in it from the break in - mine didn't and supposedly the full synthetic oil will last quite awhile.

You really shouldn't need a wrench. Oil filters are never supposed to be more then hand tight. Tho my Turbo Veloster's oil filter was on so damn tight, and my filter wrench was slipping, I had to drill holes through it and put the bit through to use as a handle. It actually moved the entire assembly a quarter inch by the time it gave. My Mustang's first oil change tho the factory filter came off with just using a rag for some grip.

And I always fill the filter, but honestly I don't include the filter oil as part of the 8 quarts, guess I should be, but I have always filled the filter and then put the recommended amount in. I suppose it would only hurt if it were a big massive filter.
Yea I'm worried I didn't fill it to standards. I put about half of the filter full, before installing it, and then put the remainder of 8 quarters into the engine. For some reason the dipstick is incredibly difficult to read, even after a day of driving it around.

However when it's warm and i'm idling, my Oil Pressure is at 30 - that sound normal? didn't check for benchmark before:doh:. Debating putting more in. seems to be between the two holes and hash's though.

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yea I'm worried I didn't fill it to standards. I put about half of the filter full, before installing it, and then put the remainder of 8 quarters into the engine. For some reason the dipstick is incredibly difficult to read, even after a day of driving it around.

However when it's warm and i'm idling, my Oil Pressure is at 30 - that sound normal? didn't check for benchmark before:doh:. Debating putting more in. seems to be between the two holes and hash's though.
Honestly I don't know what normal oil pressure is. But when I fill the filter and then put the regular 8 quarts in it brings it to just a hair over the fill line. And yeah it is difficult to read, sometimes the oil is an inch over sometimes it's not, seems like it just sloshes around on the dipstick.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Honestly I don't know what normal oil pressure is. But when I fill the filter and then put the regular 8 quarts in it brings it to just a hair over the fill line. And yeah it is difficult to read, sometimes the oil is an inch over sometimes it's not, seems like it just sloshes around on the dipstick.
Yea man I feel like an idiot, i can't see the damn oil. I read it's really bad to have the oil overfilled, so I didn't put anymore than 8 quarts. I'm worried that it didn't drain completely, and I overfilled with the new one, or It drained completely and I'm low on oil. i feel like the car would tell me if I'm low right?

I'll check it before I head home, when it's a level surface

First oil changer here, clearly:lol:

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
I had to go get a new wrench. just picked it up for the next oil changes - this time I could take it off by hand barely.

I have no idea, people seem to say that the first oil change has some metal in it from the break in - mine didn't and supposedly the full synthetic oil will last quite awhile.

Oil pressure is normal between 20-30...depending on temperature some times it fluctuates. But mine has been steady at 20 still on the initial oil.

And if you did 8 quarts you should be fine. no need to over fill...some people add oil in the filter some don't. No harm...

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my oil changed with little drama. I didn't need a wrench to remove the factory applied filter. I was surprised by how much oil drained out when I loosened the filter. It seemed like it slowly drained for several minutes. I managed not to spill much.

I still think that filter is just way to small for this engine, but I am not an engineer. :p

And like others have commented, the dipstick is terribly flimsy.

authoritah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP Deep Impact Blue
On a related note, what is the size of the wrench used to remove the oil pan drain plug ?

Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
On a related note, what is the size of the wrench used to remove the oil pan drain plug ?
Havent changed the oil in my s550 yet but if its the same as my 13 should be 15mm

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I would skip letting it drain down for that long. Some people are getting a ticking sound after the first oil change. One of the theories is that the lifters are draining down and not getting oil back in them fully.

Based on that I just tried to be quick about it when I changed mine and I didn't get the ticking. It might be something else all together but why risk it for a couple ounces of oil out of 8 qts.
Lifters?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hydraulic "lash adjusters" ... basically work the same as "lifters". Takes up the lash in the valve train.

seivwrig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
What is torque should be used on the drain plug?