• Total voters

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just did my first change at 1570 miles. Went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30. It went well, except I'm a little annoyed that when you take the filter out, it spills all over the underbody shield. I plan to go to 9000-10000 miles on this change and send a sample to Blackstone. Based on the results I've seen with this oil, it should do that without any issues whatsoever.

Also, 8 quarts is a lot of oil!
Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
FWIW, I plan to change oil & filter at 1,000 - 1500 miles and then about every 6,000 after that. I'll install Mobil 1 synthetic and wix filters. If you want to know why I choose these and learn about your favorite oil, follow the links below;

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/Used_Oil_Analysis_-_Gasoline

TBN is the amount of additives in the oil that determine the maximum duration between oil changes. When it gets to 1.0, it's time to change. Regardless of how long you can run run oil, factory warranty dictates when it's prudent to change.

The other link tests a number of things but the ones of most interest are wear protection and thermal break down.

Read and enjoy! :)

Jim
Thanks for these links Jim.

After reading a good bit of the first link (loooong article) I found that Mobil 1 was a good choice also.

When I read this:
"And the last thing is to change the oil soon after initial break-in, to get rid of all the contaminants that will be present right after first firing a brand new engine."
Coming from his level of expertise, I have my 'change at 1,000 mile or not' question answered in the affirmative for myself. YMMV. I am just under 1,000 miles, so will go get some Mobil 1 5w20, though he only tested/rated 5w30, which came in at #10 'incredible wear protection' (8% below #1). Motorcraft 5w50 was rated 'outstanding wear protection', 5w30 'modest wear protection, 5w20 was not rated.
[wear protection rating scale: incredible, outstanding, good, modest, undesireable.)

Has anyone found a good magnetic oil drain plug to replace the oem plug with?

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Thanks for these links Jim.

After reading a good bit of the first link (loooong article) I found that Mobil 1 was a good choice also.

When I read this:
"And the last thing is to change the oil soon after initial break-in, to get rid of all the contaminants that will be present right after first firing a brand new engine."
Coming from his level of expertise, I have my 'change at 1,000 mile or not' question answered in the affirmative for myself. YMMV. I am just under 1,000 miles, so will go get some Mobil 1 5w20, though he only tested/rated 5w30, which came in at #10 'incredible wear protection' (8% below #1). Motorcraft 5w50 was rated 'outstanding wear protection', 5w30 'modest wear protection, 5w20 was not rated.
[wear protection rating scale: incredible, outstanding, good, modest, undesireable.)

Has anyone found a good magnetic oil drain plug to replace the oem plug with?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=350935871450

Got that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
WOW, I have only seen ones where the magnetic surface is just the flat end of the bolt. This one looks great. How did the seal look/feel when you installed it. Does the seal look like it will last many oil changes or need to be replaced from time to time.
Thanks again for the speedy reply. :thumbsup:

Edit: The drain plug on the 3.7L Cyclone 'IS' the same as the GT :
Magnetic Oil Drain Sump Plug *XL Series* M12x1.75 12mmx1.75 (PSR0104-XL)

Last edited:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

ELPYBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang EB Premium w/ PP and Navi
Ruby,
In his store he sells a 10 pack of washers for $10.95. I asked if he'd be able to add two to my order. We'll see what he says.
Which one is it? Can you post the link? Cause theres alot of washers I see. They looks and size the same. :shrug:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Which one is it? Can you post the link? Cause theres alot of washers I see. They looks and size the same. :shrug:
I cannot find it right now, but find the link to his 'store' on Ebay. They are the 12mm washers that are orange/brown in color.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Ruby,
In his store he sells a 10 pack of washers for $10.95. I asked if he'd be able to add two to my order. We'll see what he says.

Nice Dave! Glad you were able to find that, I will be buying these here shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Production debris frequently is in a new engine. It is important to change break in oil/filter by about 1,000 miles or earlier to flush out any debris.

I.E.: The new C7 Corvette engines are suffering damage due to assembly debris in the dry sump Z51 optioned engines. Oil changes are crucial.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Any debris that is small enough to pass through the oil filter without being trapped will pass through bearings without causing any issues.

Dave

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
How many quarts of engine oil are you putting into your performance package equipped '15~'16 GT?

Shenkey58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT FASTBACK PERFORMANCE PACK 6 SPEED-WHITE
I put 8-1/2 qt in my 2015 Performance Pack GT-oil and filter change.
The PP has the oil cooler-thus the extra 1/2 qt.(The manual says 8 qt for the 5.0 engine)
That should read right at the top line on your dipstick.
Sponsored