Sponsored

First Oil Change?

Mustangster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have been following this thread closely since I bought my Mustang in Nov. Conflicting theories over the break-in service has had me totally confused, so I decided have a chat with my dealership to clear this once and for all.

I was assigned a technician (I had a vibration issue to be checked out as well) and this was his answer when I asked why there isn't a break-in service scheduled for the mustang. (I am not tech person, so please forgive the layman's language used). These new Ford engines go through a 'break-in' before they are mounted on the car. Then the fully assembled car goes through another run-in on a simulated environment (dyno?) to make sure other components have bedded in properly. Furthermore, the metal alloys used in modern car engines are highly advanced and do not 'shed' metal particles as much. Therefore Ford is certain that their new Mustangs do not need a break-in service!!

Now that I have heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, I hope to stick to the factory prescribed service schedule I.e. when the car asks me to or once in 12 months and not worry about this anymore!!
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I would not believe anything I heard at a dealership, although he was referring to an engine dyno. I doubt they are putting a couple hundred hours on that motor on the dyno...

Also, there are members on this forum that show you oil filter cutouts proving otherwise.

Also think of it this way... You just bought a brand new Mustang... Is it really going to kill you to change the oil early? You change it out early and lets pretend you didn't need to... That is WORST case scenario and you at least put better (hopefully...) oil in it.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yep. The pennzoil ultra platinum is very pricey as well at $40 for 5 qts. The fact that I can go to 10,000+ miles takes the edge off of that price. It's amazing oil, though.
Check Autozone/Advanced Auto/Pep Boys around you every so often. They have Ultra Platinum on good "oil change special" sales.

Also Walmart has Ultra Platinum 5w20 in a 5 qt jug for $27.97 regular price http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-Full-Synthetic-5W20-SN-Motor-Oil-5-Qts/36030480. The single quarts are $8.92 and you need 3 to make 8 quarts for the 5.0. You could just but 2 5 quarts and have some extra though for nearly the same price as the 3 singles.

You're only talking $60 for an oil change with a filter.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Check Autozone/Advanced Auto/Pep Boys around you every so often. They have Ultra Platinum on good "oil change special" sales.

Also Walmart has Ultra Platinum 5w20 in a 5 qt jug for $27.97 regular price http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-Full-Synthetic-5W20-SN-Motor-Oil-5-Qts/36030480. The single quarts are $8.92 and you need 3 to make 8 quarts for the 5.0. You could just but 2 5 quarts and have some extra though for nearly the same price as the 3 singles.

You're only talking $60 for an oil change with a filter.
Yeah, I've done that. They sell out of it often though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BOOSTED-SVO

In My Own Lane
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP SB M6
I think the last time I did the 500-1000 mile change was on my 2012 WRX. After that I never really followed that rule and had many many high performance vehicles after that and never had any problems. Many oil analysis show changing the oil before 1k miles is just a waste(maybe not for the brain lol). I'm at 2k right now. I'm going to wait another 500-1k but no more than 3k than do my first oil change. Normal schedule there after.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
Changed my oil for the first time today @4.8k miles using MC 5w20 SB and the MC 500s filter. No mess and no tick.

I like the oil filter door :-)

Took exactly 8qts.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
My car is also at 4800 miles right now. Last week I took it to the dealer expecting to ask them change it early. (They offer the first change for $10 and it includes everything.) The service advisor easily talked me out of it. He said that I should just keep driving it until the display message comes on. The oil life is at 55%. He said an oil change at 9000 is typical for these cars.

This dealership is the biggest seller of Mustangs in the midwest, and they sell a lot of Roush cars, too.

I was all set to go the proactive route, but it just seems to me that if semi-synthetic oil does not break down so quickly, and if the filter is doing its job, then there is nothing to obsess over. But who knows? :shrug:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My car is also at 4800 miles right now. Last week I took it to the dealer expecting to ask them change it early. (They offer the first change for $10 and it includes everything.) The service advisor easily talked me out of it. He said that I should just keep driving it until the display message comes on. The oil life is at 55%. He said an oil change at 9000 is typical for these cars.

This dealership is the biggest seller of Mustangs in the midwest, and they sell a lot of Roush cars, too.

I was all set to go the proactive route, but it just seems to me that if semi-synthetic oil does not break down so quickly, and if the filter is doing its job, then there is nothing to obsess over. But who knows? :shrug:
I would never take a service advisor's word on maintenance.

As for oil changes, depends on what you do to your car. Me, I like rev'ing it, so I choose the best oil IMO and I change it a lot earlier. If you drive like Miss Daisy then I guess semi-synthetic is OK for 5-10K miles, but who drives that like?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I would never take a service advisor's word on maintenance.

As for oil changes, depends on what you do to your car. Me, I like rev'ing it, so I choose the best oil IMO and I change it a lot earlier. If you drive like Miss Daisy then I guess semi-synthetic is OK for 5-10K miles, but who drives that like?
Me. I have been driving like that. :eek:

Not enough traction, not enough freedom from traffic, too many cops, etc. Might as well go for mileage and then look into AutoX next year.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The oil might last that long but I don't like the idea of fine metal floating around inside the engine.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Me. I have been driving like that. :eek:

Not enough traction, not enough freedom from traffic, too many cops, etc. Might as well go for mileage and then look into AutoX next year.
Nothing wrong with that, your Mustang will last forever. :thumbsup:

I drive mine very hard and fully expect it to not last as long as yours.

Fasstang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ITGUY
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EBPP
What is the best recommended oil and filter for the EB PP and how many Qts is required?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Nothing wrong with that, your Mustang will last forever. :thumbsup:

I drive mine very hard and fully expect it to not last as long as yours.
Actually, one factor in me deciding on the automatic was for reliability. Same for the Coyote. $8200 up charge for reliability in two categories.

But my mild driving style has been out of necessity, and partly out of choice.

:cheers:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Actually, one factor in me deciding on the automatic was for reliability. Same for the Coyote. $8200 up charge for reliability in two categories.

But my mild driving style has been out of necessity, and partly out of choice.

:cheers:
The reliability of an item is inversely proportional to the number of parts it's made of. So, an automatic is going to be less reliable than a manual and a v8 is going to be less reliable than a 4cyl with all other things being equal.

Dave

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The reliability of an item is inversely proportional to the number of parts it's made of. So, an automatic is going to be less reliable than a manual and a v8 is going to be less reliable than a 4cyl with all other things being equal.

Dave
Yes and no. I don't think anyone would argue the Coyote is less reliable than the Ecoboost.
Sponsored