redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Yes I change drain plug with every oil change. To me it's worth the few bucks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Full synthetic says it on there and has a gold cap. I order my oil, filter, and drain plug from Tasca Parts. Cheaper than the dealer even with paying for shipping.
Yea I am going to change it tomorrow though, so I don't think shipping will be able to get it to me in time. Looking at picking it up from Autozone for $6. maybe they have drain plugs there.
http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/motorcraft-oil-filter/274722_0_0/

As far as tools go, pretty simple? I need to find a good first time guide to just walk me through it. I figure with the investment in ramps, 2 changes myself will be saving me money already.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Just an FYI, the Fram "Ultra Synthetic" 15K mile extended filters at Wally World for like $9, are pretty good filters. ;)

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yes I change drain plug with every oil change. To me it's worth the few bucks.
There's no need to change the plug. I don't even change the washer with the rubber style every time, only with the crush washers. I got one good magnetic plug and that's all I need.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI, the Fram "Ultra Synthetic" 15K mile extended filters at Wally World for like $9, are pretty good filters. ;)
Really? is the Ultra better than the normal FL500 you think? it's almost twice the price. I'm wondering if I just need to change the FL500 every oil change, where as the ultra synthetic changing every 15k would be like every 3rd oil change possibly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
There's no need to change the plug. I don't even change the washer with the rubber style every time, only with the crush washers. I got one good magnetic plug and that's all I need.
Geez I don't know what the crush washers are... but I am with you, if I don't need a new plug, I'll avoid that.:cheers:

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
A good oil outlasts the filter.

It would actually be the other way around, IF you want to extend your intervals....you would keep the oil, but change the filter.

If you use a 15K mile oil, with a 15K mile filter....you could go 10-15K miles easily, IMO.

Me personally, on severla of my cars, I use a good synthetic oil and change the filters (Motorcraft) every 4K miles. I usually take my oil to about 12K miles on most of my cars, with 2-3 filter changes in between. In these scenarios, I use Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w30.

My 2015 GT....I currently have Mobil1 0w40 and the Fram Ultra Filter I mentioned above. My next change after this, it will get the Amsoil 0w40 and the Amsoil EA017 filter - for the rest of it's hard life.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
And something I found interesting - FYI.

I recently swapped my "break in" oil, which was Castrol 10w40 regular.....to the Mobil1 0w40, and my vacuum readings went from consistent 21.5" to now 22.4", consistent (hot idle)

I found that rather odd.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Geez I don't know what the crush washers are... but I am with you, if I don't need a new plug, I'll avoid that.:cheers:
A crush washer is just what it sounds like, a thin metal washer that gets crushed to create a seal, and since they deform they have to be replaced. The rubber ones on the mustangs can be reused.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
A good oil outlasts the filter.

It would actually be the other way around, IF you want to extend your intervals....you would keep the oil, but change the filter.

If you use a 15K mile oil, with a 15K mile filter....you could go 10-15K miles easily, IMO.

Me personally, on severla of my cars, I use a good synthetic oil and change the filters (Motorcraft) every 4K miles. I usually take my oil to about 12K miles on most of my cars, with 2-3 filter changes in between. In these scenarios, I use Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w30.

My 2015 GT....I currently have Mobil1 0w40 and the Fram Ultra Filter I mentioned above. My next change after this, it will get the Amsoil 0w40 and the Amsoil EA017 filter - for the rest of it's hard life.
That's interesting. so I got the Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30 oil. I plan on using that. I didn't know that it could last up to 10k miles... that would be incredible.

Might stick with the motorcraft FL500S filter for this switch, and then see if I want to go to amsoil or royal purple. I might stay with Mobil 1 though, with the great deals it's got.

A crush washer is just what it sounds like, a thin metal washer that gets crushed to create a seal, and since they deform they have to be replaced. The rubber ones on the mustangs can be reused.
heck yea, Ford makin things easy on me again. Okay another QQ, taking the oil filter off. is that difficult at all? I plan on doing this in the morning, letting it drain for an hour or so, then putting the new oil in. I hope it's pretty simple. :D

Sponsored

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
heck yea, Ford makin things easy on me again. Okay another QQ, taking the oil filter off. is that difficult at all? I plan on doing this in the morning, letting it drain for an hour or so, then putting the new oil in. I hope it's pretty simple. :D
I would skip letting it drain down for that long. Some people are getting a ticking sound after the first oil change. One of the theories is that the lifters are draining down and not getting oil back in them fully.

Based on that I just tried to be quick about it when I changed mine and I didn't get the ticking. It might be something else all together but why risk it for a couple ounces of oil out of 8 qts.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
I would skip letting it drain down for that long. Some people are getting a ticking sound after the first oil change. One of the theories is that the lifters are draining down and not getting oil back in them fully.

Based on that I just tried to be quick about it when I changed mine and I didn't get the ticking. It might be something else all together but why risk it for a couple ounces of oil out of 8 qts.
Yea I hadn't heard of that, I appreciate the tip. I'll let it drip for 10 ish minutes, and plug it back up, put new filter on. ALso do you fil the filter before putting the oil in or what? I heard some guys saying it takes 1/2 qt or somethin.

Again, i appreciate it and I agree, not worth risking anything. I'll do 10 min or less.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
ALso do you fil the filter before putting the oil in or what? I heard some guys saying it takes 1/2 qt or somethin.
I always put some oil in the filter before I put it back on. (Except our Impreza, it's oil filter is upside down) I try to judge how full to fill it based on how much it needs tipped to get it back on. I used the Amsoil filter which is quite a bit larger than the stock one. I think I filled it somewhere between half and 3/4 of the way up.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I fill the filter a little bit. It is pretty old school thinking but always done it if the filter is set up to support it. The oil capacity is a constant. It's listed as including the filter. Coyote takes exactly 8 quarts with filter (FL500S). Unless the capacity changed on the s550 from the s197.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
I always put some oil in the filter before I put it back on. (Except our Impreza, it's oil filter is upside down) I try to judge how full to fill it based on how much it needs tipped to get it back on. I used the Amsoil filter which is quite a bit larger than the stock one. I think I filled it somewhere between half and 3/4 of the way up.
Interesting, maybe I'll put just a little in there to begin with. maybe half.

I fill the filter a little bit. It is pretty old school thinking but always done it if the filter is set up to support it. The oil capacity is a constant. It's listed as including the filter. Coyote takes exactly 8 quarts with filter (FL500S). Unless the capacity changed on the s550 from the s197.
Awesome. I thought it was going to be 8 quarters PLUS the filter, so that will be nice!

To my knowledge, the S197 and S550 have the same capacity
Sponsored