Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
The reliability of an item is inversely proportional to the number of parts it's made of. So, an automatic is going to be less reliable than a manual and a v8 is going to be less reliable than a 4cyl with all other things being equal.

Dave
And MTBF also depends on how it's designed and manufactured, where it's made, load envelope, if it prevents self-destruct circumstances, etc.

6R80 has been around, debugged, and has a rep for reliability. Made in USA.
MT80 is from China, and has rep of a few problems.

Coyote has been around and debugged. Made in Canada.
i4 is turbo'd, new model, under more strain from vehicle weight, and comes from Spain (IIRC).

2¢
These were MY decision rationale's, and my intent is not to start a hot debate. Also, I considered and test drove (and almost ordered) all 4 engine/tranny combos.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The reliability of an item is inversely proportional to the number of parts it's made of. So, an automatic is going to be less reliable than a manual and a v8 is going to be less reliable than a 4cyl with all other things being equal.

Dave
Not necessarily. The Coyote engine is pretty low stress low pressure where the EB engine despite having less parts works under high stress and high pressure.
Now of course they are made with different technologies to compensate for the difference but just because it has less parts doesn't mean it's reliable.
Rotary engines have way less parts and they are not reliable at all.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i didn't think his post warranted such a detailed explanation from you guys. obviously he doesn't know too much about this stuff. i just chuckled to myself and ignored his post. but bravo to u guys for having the patience to educate some random guy on the internet.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
So, an automatic is going to be less reliable than a manual
Wait what?:headbonk:
i didn't think his post warranted such a detailed explanation from you guys. obviously he doesn't know too much about this stuff. i just chuckled to myself and ignored his post. but bravo to u guys for having the patience to educate some random guy on the internet.
Agreed.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Actually having been an engineer for the past 40 years and many of those specializing in reliability analysis I know more than a bit about this stuff. If you actually read my post I finished with; "all other things being equal". I fully realize that all things are not equal and the intention of my post was to get some thoughtful dialogue on what makes a car reliable.

If anyone wants to continue discussing automotive reliability I am more than willing share my expertise otherwise it ends here.

Dave

Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Back to the OP's idea

When I picked up my car it had 63 miles on it. Probably used as a demo by the Dealer before calling me. Anyway I wanted to get the semi Synth oil out asap. So I drove it home and the next morning I went to a local shop to get the oil replaced with regular 5W20. I gave them a Motocraft filter to use also. I ran that oil for the next 1500 miles. That gave me piece of mind that I did all I could to break the engine in right. In my opinion synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is too slippery for the cylinders and rings to properly mate and seal in a reasonable number of miles.

I had it changed again at 1600 miles at a Ford Dealer so the Semi Synth Motocraft oil is in there now.

Nach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost Premium
My dealer told me 5000 for first oil change, which I did. But moved to Mobil1 full synthetic.

Now I'm on the fence about full synthetic change intervals. A mechanic friend suggested just use the oil meter built into the computer and change when that tells me to change. The dealer still maintains 5000 even on full synthetic. And most other random drivers say 7000-10,000.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My dealer told me 5000 for first oil change, which I did. But moved to Mobil1 full synthetic.

Now I'm on the fence about full synthetic change intervals. A mechanic friend suggested just use the oil meter built into the computer and change when that tells me to change. The dealer still maintains 5000 even on full synthetic. And most other random drivers say 7000-10,000.
Factory says synthetic blend is every 10k miles under normal driving condition. I would imagine full synthetic lasts at least 10k under same condition.
If you don't put that many miles on the car in a year, I would change every year before winter.

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I always change all my cars at 1500 or so then never over 3000 mi,Mobil-1. I never heard of a motor failure because of too frequent oil changes.
I also like to think that the next owner will be getting a quality,well maintained car.
Yours is the car I want , let me know when you want to sell that 500!
Sponsored