Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Hey guys,

Preparing to do my first oil change EVER and first on the car. Right at 2250 miles. I've got ramps and a pan at home now, I don't have jacks for the rear end so it will be just the front of the car elevated.. will that be sufficient?

I purchased 10qts of Mobil 1 5w30 with the rebate. My question is what filter to use, as I need to purchase it ASAP. Any advice on tips or "ah ha" moments would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking at doing the transmission fluid, not sure if I could do that on just ramps, and if thats similarly difficult.

Thanks much,

Brice
Sponsored

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
...You do realize you don't need all ten of those quarts right?

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
IMO you can never go wrong with the Motorcraft filter and oil for that matter. I run Ford filter and full synthetic Motorcraft oil

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Better to use just ramps for the oil change, since the drain bolt is in the rear of the pan it will help drain better.

Use the motorcraft filter, FL500s. If you have a warranty problem they can't touch you for the brand oil you use, but who knows if they may say something about the filter....

If you do an trans fluid change, you will want to raise the rear to keep everything level so you get the correct amount of fluid back in.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Walmart has the filter for $5 and I purchase my oil from the dealer for $6.25 for fully synthetic

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
...You do realize you don't need all ten of those quarts right?
Haha If you'd read I noted that I used the rebate you get 5qt of full synthetic for half off with the rebate, who am I to not take their money...:lol: thanks for the concern though.

IMO you can never go wrong with the Motorcraft filter and oil for that matter. I run Ford filter and full synthetic Motorcraft oil
Yea but which filter? Walmart/Home Depot didn't have any motorcraft stuff... just FRAM?

Better to use just ramps for the oil change, since the drain bolt is in the rear of the pan it will help drain better.

Use the motorcraft filter, FL500s. If you have a warranty problem they can't touch you for the brand oil you use, but who knows if they may say something about the filter....

If you do an trans fluid change, you will want to raise the rear to keep everything level so you get the correct amount of fluid back in.
Awesome help, wasn't sure ramps would be the best bet so I really appreciate that. I'll order the FL500 like you and Redline recommended.:cheers:

Might hold off on the trans fluid change then, as I don't have my jacks at home. Will have to wait until I can get it out to our property. I doubt it would need that anytime soon right?

Walmart has the filter for $5 and I purchase my oil from the dealer for $6.25 for fully synthetic
Interesting, I'll go check walmart again on my way home, maybe they were sold out with the current deal they're running. Thanks for the tip, and that's $6.25/qt right?

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
Been using fram since I was 18. Never once a problem. I just bought the purolator filter at walmart and use that. I also use whatever semi or full synthetic I can find the cheapest at that moment.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yes that is the price for 1qrt. I always ask them for discount and they always give me 20% off.

The filter from Wal-Mart is the oem ford filter for $5

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah don't use fram. I used the synthetic fram filter from Wal-Mart around $25 on my last car Bmw and after 2000 miles I had a check engine light come on. I opened the filter housing and the filter was broken in 3 pieces.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Been using fram since I was 18. Never once a problem. I just bought the purolator filter at walmart and use that. I also use whatever semi or full synthetic I can find the cheapest at that moment.
Yea I don't know much about FRAM, but I'll probably stick to the ford one honestly.

Yes that is the price for 1qrt. I always ask them for discount and they always give me 20% off.

The filter from Wal-Mart is the oem ford filter for $5
Yea the only reason I got the 10qts was the $12 rebate, so it came to like $3/qt but you can only do it on 4 5 qt bottles per year I believe.

I'll go pick up the ford FL500:ford: from Walmart today. it says it's $14 on amazon, so hopefully walmart will be friendlier

Any other tips on items needed for oil change. I have the drip pan, I'm sure I've got some tools.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Full synthetic says it on there and has a gold cap. I order my oil, filter, and drain plug from Tasca Parts. Cheaper than the dealer even with paying for shipping.
Sponsored