Sponsored

Die hard Manual guys get in here!

americanv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
/
As an European fella, I find it quite funny all U US guys, can get such a rise out of this 'can U drive a stick' thing. Here (in Denmark) probably 95-99% of cars are manual. Until 3 years ago, manuals were mandatory when taking a licence, so everbody can drive stick. Nothing special. Now its possible to take an 'auto-only' licence. But if U later wanna drive a manual, U have to take a new test in a manual.
I looove my manual GT, but I rarely think about it in my work van. For normal driving its just second nature. But in the GT I'm, much more aware about my shifts, especially my heel toe downshifts.
But I also drive around in a rolling thunderstorm, so shifts are much more pronounced.
Yeah, I grew up all over, including Europe, so learned manual as that was the only option. I was surprised to find this mentality at home in the US among some car enthusiasts. The fact that automatics are so prevalent in the US is actually because of how rich we are, road infrastructure as a whole is fantastic and cost of owning an automatic is cheap for us, so most people will opt for it. But then you have some kids thinking they are "special" because they can drive manual as it's not commonplace, and believe that's what makes them "real" car enthusiasts. That's how you get an entire thread about "die hard manual guys", lol. Some of these guys talk about manual like they drive around with the shifter up their ass to feel really connected to the car.
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I'm in the search for a GT in the next few months. Hoping for a winter bargin. I was certain it was going to be a Manual this time around after the Eco A6. I have recently driven a few Gt's that we manuals and one A10. The 15 and 16 Manual's that I drove both had annoying drive line lash with on and off throttle and low speed parking lot stuff. But the 18 felt very good. Shifted the best also. Also I noticed the 18 would slightly rev up just before the clutch engaged with no throttle. Are the 18's different and better then the earlier years or just luck of the draw.

The A10 was good. Sort of seemed a little busy but helped the GT feel close to the pep of the Eco in the tight back road I tested.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm in the search for a GT in the next few months. Hoping for a winter bargin. I was certain it was going to be a Manual this time around after the Eco A6. I have recently driven a few Gt's that we manuals and one A10. The 15 and 16 Manual's that I drove both had annoying drive line lash with on and off throttle and low speed parking lot stuff. But the 18 felt very good. Shifted the best also. Also I noticed the 18 would slightly rev up just before the clutch engaged with no throttle. Are the 18's different and better then the earlier years or just luck of the draw.

The A10 was good. Sort of seemed a little busy but helped the GT feel close to the pep of the Eco in the tight back road I tested.
The 18 and up does that, it will feed a small amount of RPM if you try to leave just with the clutch only. Drive line lash is still barely noticeable on my car once I've been driving for a long time. It's nothing more than soft engine/transmission mounts that get softer with heat in them. At least, I think that's what you were feeling. Possibly something was broken.

Only problem with 18 specifically is weak shift forks. 19 and up fixed that, and also have added active rev matching which is super nice. The only downside is the ratios are taller than the old cars.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
This is probably true.
The only vehicle I drove with shift gates on shifter was a T-55 tank during my military service.

T-55-Driver_position_Shifter_MARKED (2).jpg

The fully mechanical linkage (no hydraulics) went from driver position all the way back to the engine compartment and it has enormous imprecision.
Even if you hit the right gate, you could sometimes miss the gear.
I can't imagine that mechanism to functioning without the gates.

But - ok - tank is a different animal.
Nice. Pretty much exactly the same.

Thanks for serving!

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
You just thanked a man for serving the ENEMY.
@Mikthehun1: Please, no enemies here!

The thread is about Manual transmission, I know. And I don't want to derail the thread.
But I have to clarify this about "Soviet Slovenia" and "enemy".

I was serving mandatory military service as every 18-years old boy in our country then.
It was in 1987 in Yugoslavia of which part was Slovenia then days.

Post war Yugoslavia was not a Soviet vassal. It was not even a member of Warsaw pact.

Since Yugoslavia had no military industry just after WW2, we received weapons from allies in next few decades. We have got what allies (included US) gave us.

That's how we got Soviet tanks.
But we also got american tanks (Shermann, Patton) and american airplanes (F-84 Thunderjet, F-86 Sabre, Lockheed T-33A), american trucks (GMC CCKW, Dodge WC-52) and Jeeps, etc.

The weapons we green-horn recruits were allowed to use in 1987 Yugoslav army were only old machinery. Among those also Soviet tank T-55 in my case. It could be Shermann or Patton, but it wasn't. Destiny.

But this is all far away in the past.

Today Slovenia is independent country inside EU and member of NATO pact.

We border with Austria and Italy (not with Russian federation).
We are far away from Russia: geographically, politically and ideologically.

The population of Slovenia is 2 Millions so we can hardly afford to be an enemy to any other country or nation in the world.

So, don't be afraid and don't consider Slovenia or Slovene people as enemy to anybody.
Even if you chat to middle aged guy, which accidentally drove a T-55 tank in some point of his long passed youth.

Peace to all.

Now, let's go back to manual transmission debate!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah, I grew up all over, including Europe, so learned manual as that was the only option. I was surprised to find this mentality at home in the US among some car enthusiasts. The fact that automatics are so prevalent in the US is actually because of how rich we are, road infrastructure as a whole is fantastic and cost of owning an automatic is cheap for us, so most people will opt for it.
As a whole, US drivers have become lazy and infused with a sense of entitlement to luxury, and the automatic transmission has catered to that outlook like no other automotive development to date.

But then you have some kids thinking they are "special" because they can drive manual as it's not commonplace, and believe that's what makes them "real" car enthusiasts.
I can't speak for the kids any more, but there's a measure of satisfaction to be had from choosing to do something that most other people choose to not do. Or can't do at all. Or gave up doing.

As to "real car enthusiasts" and stick-shift driving, there's an element of nonconformity involved. As there was with traditional hot rodding and sports car ownership. As far as the rest of the car-owning public is concerned, going against the mass-market grain is something that you should probably take a little pride in, as opposed to feeling you should either step back into the shadows over or give up and join the herd.

That's how you get an entire thread about "die hard manual guys", lol.
I think people need to read (or re-read) post #1. OP is (was?) a self-admitted die-hard MT guy, but this thread wasn't intended to be about why that was the case or why it should be for anybody else. OP understands that automatics have come a long way, so his real question was whether or not other people with a strong preference for driving stick were also considering the 10-speed automatic.

Some of these guys talk about manual like they drive around with the shifter up their ass to feel really connected to the car.
And the die-hard automatic fans go straight to the "shifts faster/ETs better" well . . .

Norm

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Responding to the original question, I was a diehard manual transmission driver. I started driving in 1958 and my first 4 were Ford, Chevy and Plymouth from the 40s and early 50s. Automatic transmissions were not an option on these cars. I have always had a manual transmission and I still do. My BMW has the best manual transmission I've ever owned.

But I also have an A10 and have had several DCT transmissions. If I was buying an older, nostalgic car or collector car, it would be with a manual transmission. If I was buying a new high performance or sports car it would have a modern automatic transmission.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The only auto that made me think that I could actually own it was the new A10.
It's a great transmission if you want an auto. My wife has one in her Expedition.

For me, it's manual only.
See, for me it was the opposite. I thought it hunted for gears too much and hung on deceleration. To me, it spent more time changing gears than it should. I had it in a Ecoboost for over a month while a car was being fixed after an accident. Someone hit my car while parked at the train station. The A10 was good if you floored it or granny it but moderate acceleration, 70-80%, it would hunt. It was fun having a convertible but I did not love that tranny.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Coming from a country where home enthusiasts are more interested in handling, driving skills and dynamics than raw power or straight-line speeds the auto manual debate to me boils down to laziness/convenience, take your pick of appropriate word.

For daily driving folks who are trudging from the commute to grocery shopping to kids events and back to commute, autos are super easy, make stop go traffic less painful and make driving a more pushbutton operation. And from personal experience, these people can barely drive, think pushing the pedal to the floor is driving fast, wobble their way around the slightest bend, panic braking as they approach 30% of the available grip, overloading the front tires and slide off into the scenery and couldn't forward plan a safe traffic maneuver if you paid them.

For the traffic lights to traffic lights crew, whether on the street or at a strip, modern autos are super quick and unbeatable vs a manual.

For track guys I think it's a bit more nuanced, I personally do not have the skill to drive at so close to the limits all the time on a track that the speed of a shift in an auto vs manual will ever be the deciding factor for me.

For me, I drive a manual because I like being more at one with the car, I like choosing the gear to be in before hitting an apex and applying power, I like being able to chose to apply power at lower rpms without the gearbox dropping 3 gears and screaming off to the redline.

But that's just a personal choice, I still shave with a safety razor because it appeals to me, not because it's better or more efficient, if I am in a rush I use the electric razor.

Oh yeah, damn straight all my kids can drive stick :)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
And now the auto peeps have a recall for their brake pedal bracket. Manual ftw :crackup:

Sponsored

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Nah man, I was just busting his balls. Don't feel bad for not getting the joke, my sense of humor barely works for native English speakers :crackup:.
No problem on my side, Mikthehun1. I just had to spit it out.

Concerning you humor - this one is actually really good:
"In America, you use a lever to select a gear. In Slovenia, gear selects you!"

:clap:

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
My Mustang is a manual. Been driving manual since I had my 06 Civic Si, which I owned since new.

My wife has an auto. It’s okay for city driving but bothers me when driving on the highway and I want to slow down and have to use the brakes. If it was a manual I’d just downshift.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but bothers me when driving on the highway and I want to slow down and have to use the brakes. If it was a manual I’d just downshift.
except brake pads cost $100 and a transmission gear $3000? Of course I shift too but it's a side-effect of slowing, not a means to that end unless we're talking mile after mile of steep down grade.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
except brake pads cost $100 and a transmission gear $3000? Of course I shift too but it's a side-effect of slowing, not a means to that end unless we're talking mile after mile of steep down grade.
true, if you don’t know what your doing.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
T-55 is a Soviet tank there chief. You just thanked a man for serving the ENEMY. You a commie son? Pinko? Leftist? Ever been to rally? Held a card for any organizations? I'm going to need a list of your associates.

In America, you use a lever to select a gear. In Soviet Slovenia, gear selects you!
Oops. That's what happens when you drink and post!
Sponsored