Sponsored

New here and looking to get a 5.0.....Auto or Manual?

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
One of those is a clutch failure, one was someone who grenaded their trans when they missed 4th at WOT at the drag-strip, a couple were for drive-train vibration and only one was for actual transmission failure.

My point is, for all of the faults the MT-82 has, failure seems to be the lowest on the totem pole.
Again, tomato/tomato

MT-82 breaking, failure, clutch, vibration, etc etc etc etc....

In the end all of these things are a negative to the manual transmission 5.0

You can slice the pie anyway you want or sugar coat it. Still these are all cons of the manual transmission vs automatic.

Where are the "my automatic vibrates" where are the "my torque converter went out" where are the "I blew the trans because I missed 4th in my automatic" where are the "my automatic blew up"
??? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

So far from what I've read in concrete is there are clutch issues and there is a need to change the transmission fluid. So right off the bat with the manual you need to factor in the cost of a clutch at the luck of the draw and for sure transmission fluid.

edit: and another thing, where the hell are the tremecs from the factory????
Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
My gt is a stick I have no issues ? Sounds like your just an auto fanboy

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Haha my cheeseburgers lol

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Again, tomato/tomato

MT-82 breaking, failure, clutch, vibration, etc etc etc etc....

In the end all of these things are a negative to the manual transmission 5.0

You can slice the pie anyway you want or sugar coat it. Still these are all cons of the manual transmission vs automatic.

Where are the "my automatic vibrates" where are the "my torque converter went out" where are the "I blew the trans because I missed 4th in my automatic" where are the "my automatic blew up"
??? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

So far from what I've read in concrete is there are clutch issues and there is a need to change the transmission fluid. So right off the bat with the manual you need to factor in the cost of a clutch at the luck of the draw and for sure transmission fluid.

edit: and another thing, where the hell are the tremecs from the factory????
So instead of complaining on clunking, people are complaining on slipping, bad shift points, total failures etc. There will be issues with a small percent of any mass produced transmission.

I'm not sure where you're getting you're "concrete" from. Clutch issues are very few and far between. A vast majority have no issues. The stock fluid is fine too. If it's very cold outside, people will need to wait until the transmission warms up a bit before they try to start slamming the gears, but they should anyways to get the engine oil temps up. I have 12000 miles on my 16 and the clutch and fluid is fine. I will say the MY-82 is a bit picky on the direction of shifts. This is not a T5 transmission where you just need to be close. You need to be precise with your shifts and need to bias your shifts towards the passenger side. In other words, your pulls and pushes on the up shifts cannot have any force toward the driver. Once I figured that out, I have never missed a redline shift.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
So instead of complaining on clunking, people are complaining on slipping, bad shift points, total failures etc. There will be issues with a small percent of any mass produced transmission.

I'm not sure where you're getting you're "concrete" from. Clutch issues are very few and far between. A vast majority have no issues. The stock fluid is fine too. If it's very cold outside, people will need to wait until the transmission warms up a bit before they try to start slamming the gears, but they should anyways to get the engine oil temps up. I have 12000 miles on my 16 and the clutch and fluid is fine. I will say the MY-82 is a bit picky on the direction of shifts. This is not a T5 transmission where you just need to be close. You need to be precise with your shifts and need to bias your shifts towards the passenger side. In other words, your pulls and pushes on the up shifts cannot have any force toward the driver. Once I figured that out, I have never missed a redline shift.
I think you are in denial if you think these small issues are isolated.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MT-82+5.0+issues

I've been through T5's, T45's, TKO's, T-56's, TR-3650's, and aside of my T5 blowing the trans mid 3rd gear on the interstate behind my turbo 5.0 I NEVER had an issue with those transmissions. Hell I took a stock T-45 and TR-3650 with 10 spline input shafts to a 1.5 60' numerous times and drove the car home.

And you are saying you need to favor the shifts a certain direction and are bragging about having 12000 miles on your transmission and all is still well......And you think this is all ok looking at the history of Mustang manual transmissions? Wow...who's giving out the kool-aid here?

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
maybe we need better moderators as this thread is getting annoying and should be closed .

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I think you are in denial if you think these small issues are isolated.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MT-82+5.0+issues

I've been through T5's, T45's, TKO's, T-56's, TR-3650's, and aside of my T5 blowing the trans mid 3rd gear on the interstate behind my turbo 5.0 I NEVER had an issue with those transmissions. Hell I took a stock T-45 and TR-3650 with 10 spline input shafts to a 1.5 60' numerous times and drove the car home.

And you are saying you need to favor the shifts a certain direction and are bragging about having 12000 miles on your transmission and all is still well......And you think this is all ok looking at the history of Mustang manual transmissions? Wow...who's giving out the kool-aid here?
You should narrow that google search result down to S550 5.0 MT-82. As you should already know, the current MT-82 has gone through many iterations that have largely fixed the all out failures. I'm not saying it's indestructible, but it is far better than you eluding. There are many, many on here running 10's and 11's with 600+HP with the MT-82 holding up just fine.

Keep digging Cheif, nowhere in any of my posts was I "bragging".

My turbo notch blew 3rd also behind a T5. My 3550 and every tko I have driven was notchy as hell, not entirely a pleasure to drive. The MT-82 in comparison is a far smoother shifting transmission....when warmed up.

FYI, the T-45 in comparison is a glass transmission. It is only slightly stronger than the T5, and will give up in the low-mid 400hp range. First gear is never an issue with those transmissions. Like the T5, main shaft flex under higher loads will shear 3rd gear teeth off. They were also plagued early by shift fork and syncro issues.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
You should narrow that google search result down to S550 5.0 MT-82. As you should already know, the current MT-82 has gone through many iterations that have largely fixed the all out failures. I'm not saying it's indestructible, but it is far better than you eluding. There are many, many on here running 10's and 11's with 600+HP with the MT-82 holding up just fine.

Keep digging Cheif, nowhere in any of my posts was I "bragging".

My turbo notch blew 3rd also behind a T5. My 3550 and every tko I have driven was notchy as hell, not entirely a pleasure to drive. The MT-82 in comparison is a far smoother shifting transmission....when warmed up.

FYI, the T-45 in comparison is a glass transmission. It is only slightly stronger than the T5, and will give up in the low-mid 400hp range. First gear is never an issue with those transmissions. Like the T5, main shaft flex under higher loads will shear 3rd gear teeth off. They were also plagued early by shift fork and syncro issues.
I've thought it over quite a bit and I think I'm going to give the M6 a shot. I've seen some people have good luck with them and power so I'll see how well I can do. Thanks for swaying me somewhat millhouse.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've thought it over quite a bit and I think I'm going to give the M6 a shot. I've seen some people have good luck with them and power so I'll see how well I can do. Thanks for swaying me somewhat millhouse.
:thumbsup:

Make sure you drive one first! The only issues most people have with the manual is the noises that come from the driveshaft and rear end, and the thud that you'll occasional hear going into gear.. It's easy to induce drive-train noise in a manual, not so much in an auto. If you drive smooth, it's pretty quiet. If you are sloppy, you'll hear the backlash from the gears and the slop in the u-joints.

As for the thud, ask many BMW owners about their Getrag transmissions and they too have a thud.

Drive the manual, pay attention and listen for the thuds. Make sure it's something you can live with. For me, it was a no-brainier. You may not feel the same.

I personally don't care about being the fastest car on the road anymore. For me, it's about the "Fun" of driving. No disrespect to autos, but I feel far more connect with a manual transmission. It's a far more intimate experience, one that I absolutely prefer.

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
I had AT on Ecoboost before and I recently switched to MT 5.0. Not a single bad word. Fixed the clutch feeling with 14 USD Steeda spring and it's awesome. Overall driving enjoyment went up like zillion times. Go for MT, you won't regret.

mustangcobra93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This weekend I test drove an MT82 car and an auto car. These cars are so nice now I actually had fun in both. I'm leaning toward the stick car just for the "fun" factor it adds. With that said, what are the "musts" right out of the gate I should do so the MT82 shifts the best.... switch to the BG fluid & an MGW shifter? No plans to race or take to the drag strip. The MT82 in my '11 was a nightmare!

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
Just buy two exact same S550s, one manual, one auto. Problem solved.
Sponsored