coolant color

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
My 18 F150 had the orange and when I did the flush at 75K miles I converted to the yellow. My Mustang (22) has yellow. I had some leftover from my flush on the truck so I am good to go for a while LOL...

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium

Sponsored

BoostedYote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So it would be ok to fill my 2015 mustang gt with peak orange ? I just got done changing out the oil pump gears and it goes in tomorrow for a tune. Need to get this thing running tonight

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
This is really fucking confusing. In the "important " note, it tells u not to mix it.

Backward Compatibility/Use of Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant with/in
place of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty
Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent
Ford Engineering has approved the use of yellow-colored Motorcraft® Yellow
Antifreeze/Coolant (Ford specifications WSS-M97B57-A1 and WSS-M97B57-A2) to service all
Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles factory-filled with the following antifreeze/coolants:
• Orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant (Ford specifications WSSM97B44-D
and WSS-M97B44-D2)
• Dark green-colored Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent
(Ford specification WSS-M97B55-A)
Important: Do not use Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant to service Ford, Lincoln, and
Mercury vehicles factory-filled with any other Motorcraft® antifreeze/coolant. In the case of
these vehicles, Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant is not compatible and therefore is not
approved for use. Continue to service these vehicles using only the correct recommended
antifreeze/coolant.
Service Information for using Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant with/in place
of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green
Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent
Topping off, Draining and Refilling:
• Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant can be used to top-off or entirely replace (drain and
refill) antifreeze/coolant in vehicles factory-filled with Motorcraft® Orange
Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant.
Flushing:
• Flushing the cooling system is not required prior to entirely replacing (draining and
refilling) Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant or Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine
Coolant with Bittering Agent with Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant if the cooling
system is not contaminated.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Motorcraft orange would be fine.
I do not know if the Peak brand orange is compatible.
One would like to think so, but until I was sure I wouldn't mix them.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just used my Airlift kit tonight to change coolant over from orange to yellow (50/50 mix). It was very easy to do and worth the $140 I spent for the kit. I got all of the orange out that I could (heads were emptied when I did the Head Cooling Mod).

I drained the radiator tonight, drew a vacuum on the system, filled it with a gallon of yellow and drained the radiator again. I could see the stream of coolant turn from orange to yellow. I drew a vacuum on the system again and filled it with yellow. I’m GTG now!

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is really fucking confusing. In the "important " note, it tells u not to mix it.

Backward Compatibility/Use of Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant with/in
place of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty
Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent
Ford Engineering has approved the use of yellow-colored Motorcraft® Yellow
Antifreeze/Coolant (Ford specifications WSS-M97B57-A1 and WSS-M97B57-A2) to service all
Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles factory-filled with the following antifreeze/coolants:
• Orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant (Ford specifications WSSM97B44-D
and WSS-M97B44-D2)
• Dark green-colored Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent
(Ford specification WSS-M97B55-A)
Important: Do not use Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant to service Ford, Lincoln, and
Mercury vehicles factory-filled with any other Motorcraft® antifreeze/coolant. In the case of
these vehicles, Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant is not compatible and therefore is not
approved for use. Continue to service these vehicles using only the correct recommended
antifreeze/coolant.
Service Information for using Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant with/in place
of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green
Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent
Topping off, Draining and Refilling:
• Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant can be used to top-off or entirely replace (drain and
refill) antifreeze/coolant in vehicles factory-filled with Motorcraft® Orange
Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant.
Flushing:
• Flushing the cooling system is not required prior to entirely replacing (draining and
refilling) Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant or Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine
Coolant with Bittering Agent with Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant if the cooling
system is not contaminated.
No, it tells you not to mix it with any other coolants not specified as being compatible. In this case, Orange and Specialty green can be mixed or replaced with Yellow. An example of something not allowed is Motorcraft Gold, if you mixed Yellow with that it would make a big mess since it's a different chemistry.

I converted my car from orange to yellow over a year ago when I upgraded my radiator.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
No, it tells you not to mix it with any other coolants not specified as being compatible. In this case, Orange and Specialty green can be mixed or replaced with Yellow. An example of something not allowed is Motorcraft Gold, if you mixed Yellow with that it would make a big mess since it's a different chemistry.

I converted my car from orange to yellow over a year ago when I upgraded my radiator.
Oh OK. Makes sense now. I wasn't aware of other colors. Thanks.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Was it just to simple when everything took the old green coolant. Now I need to keep the old green for the classic car/truck, one for the jeep, one for the ranger, one for the stang, one for the gmc, one for the honda.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

FYI, the yellow comes in concentrated and 50/50 mix form. premixed simplifies things a great deal.
Sponsored