Being smooth while driving M trans?

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
I've been driving manuals all my life and this clutch is tough to deal with because there is zero feedback as to when it is engaging. It is literally the only thing I don' like about the car. The complete inability to feel the takeup point via the clutch pedal. It is a matter of creating enough muscle memory to learn where it is. It isn't unworkable but I do get the occasional reving before it picks up or abrupt engagement because I'm not on the throttle enough if I miscalculate the takeup point.
Steeda clutch spring helps. Won't make it perfect, but significant improvement.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You can throw money at it to make it ā€˜betterā€™, but you donā€™t need to throw money at it to fix it or drive it smoothly :like:

Itā€™s like riding a bike, it just takes time and practice. Buying your kid a carbon bike to learn on, isnā€™t going to help them learn any quicker.

Iā€™m not being arsey or an elitist, itā€™s just not a skill thatā€™s reserved of the select few - thatā€™s why you will see everyone from a spotty teen to a wrinkly old dude managing to do it :like:

WD :like:

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
When I was a kid I would practice going through the gears with the clutch and shifter as fast as I could when the car was off. As an adult, that seems to have paid off for me. I also shift by vibration feel and drivetrain sound as others have mentioned. I only use the tach to make sure I donā€™t get too close to redline when Iā€™m really pushing it. The car will tell you what to do when you listen. It takes a long time to figure it all out though.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Practice...............

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I daily drive mine and initially I was not as smooth. I would say just keep on driving it, if you want smooth engagement like someone mentioned try slow engagement, try to feather the clutch some more. Most of the jerkiness comes from quick lift at the engagement point and lower rpm shifting. And yes I have the Steeda spring big improvement from stock.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I love the Mustang, only car I ever had "issues" driving was my 2018 WRX. That thing made me feel like a noob for awhile. Was so happy going back to a Mustang, feels like home.

Last edited:

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
Recommend consciously moving your left foot onto the dead pedal to the left of the clutch pedal between shifts.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Anyone who thinks the GTs clutch is too vague should drive a JL wrangler for a few days. You'll be dying to get back in your mustang.
My absolute favorite thing to do in a Jeep is to nail the brake pedal shaft with the tip of my foot the first few times I shift. Tests the seat belts out and makes sure my bladder is empty.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Man, I love the Mustang, only car I ever had "issues" driving was my 2018 WRX. That thing made me feel like a noob for awhile. Was so happy going back to a Mustang, feels like home.
I suck with Subarus too, the full time AWD makes it super tricky, I guess because momentum bleeds down 2x faster in the driveline so you have to be ON it with your timings, or slip the clutch a lot.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
clutch pedal, in fast, out slow. Slow your release down. the only time I speed up my left foot on the release is at WOT.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
You can throw money at it to make it ā€˜betterā€™, but you donā€™t need to throw money at it to fix it or drive it smoothly :like:

Itā€™s like riding a bike, it just takes time and practice. Buying your kid a carbon bike to learn on, isnā€™t going to help them learn any quicker.

Iā€™m not being arsey or an elitist, itā€™s just not a skill thatā€™s reserved of the select few - thatā€™s why you will see everyone from a spotty teen to a wrinkly old dude managing to do it :like:

WD :like:

You are absolutely right. A driver with an expectation that some mechanical aid will do what they are supposed to be doing is completely unrealistic. With a manual trans the driver has simple to coordinate car speed, engine speed, clutch position modulation so that the whole process is smooth. Nothing more and nothing less. Just practice and modify what you're doing until it's smooth. That's it.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I tried the Steeda spring and wasn't crazy about it. Went with this one, it's kind of between stock and Steeda as far as pedal effort goes. McMaster-Carr part number 9657K573.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/1492/9657K573
I've been happy with the Steeda spring, but always looking for ways to improve.

I'm assuming that this spring is lighter than the Steeda? The factory spring (which is an assist spring) is terrible and what I hated the most was when you reached the 3/4 mark on clutch engagement there is no feel at all and it feels like there is no resistance. Is great for the old lady or injured, but just terrible. With the Steeda spring it is far more progressive and consistent.

For the OP, it does take practice and muscle memory/timing for when you are on the clutch and gas. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I would spend time learning how and where the clutch engages by releasing the clutch and getting the car moving WITHOUT touching the gas pedal and not stalling. This will help you learn when and where the clutch is fully engaged. Once you can do this smoothly start learning how and when to start giving gas and doing so smoothly.

Find a parking lot and get that engagement down, then practice smooth engagement and acceleration. Key is to NOT be deep in the gas until you are fully OFF the clutch. Also, as you are trying to shift quickly pay attention to arm movements. MANY people manhandle the shifter and are unconsciously pulling towards their body in the 1-2/3-4 shift, and pushing too far away from their body when going 2-3. The tail mounted shifter isnt perfect but it isnt bad either. It responds well to a light touch and snicks right in gear when handled correctly. I tend to find that keeping my elbow on the console/pad and shifting with just my wrist has the best results.

The Mustang is pretty forgiving and easy to shift and drive out of the box. The clutch assist spring swap will make it easier to 'feel' engagement. My wife hadn't driven a manual trans car in 15 years and while not perfect adjusted easily, but she drives like an old lady..... LOL

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I tried the Steeda spring and wasn't crazy about it. Went with this one, it's kind of between stock and Steeda as far as pedal effort goes. McMaster-Carr part number 9657K573.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/1492/9657K573
I found this spring to be the best compromise myself. Going all the way to the light side of the spectrum with the Steeda spring was still much better than OEM but the middle size was just right for me
Sponsored