2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I have the Steeda spring, haven't installed it yet. I really like the feel of the factory set-up, coming from my 03 M1 with upgraded clutch assembly, this is a breeze to drive.

@Prodigal , like others have said; practice slow take-offs with no gas, to feel where the clutch engages before stalling. Dont be intimidated or worried people are judging your driving skills, just get out there and drive. The M1, is truly a drivers car, good luck with your quest and happy shifting.

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
Man, I love the Mustang, only car I ever had "issues" driving was my 2018 WRX. That thing made me feel like a noob for awhile. Was so happy going back to a Mustang, feels like home.
I was similar. I had a 03 M-6 Maxima that was sooo easy to drive then had autos for a number of years until I got a 2017 WRX. I thought I just sucked at driving manual cars with how badly I shifted on that (not to mention still stalling out 3 years after buying).

first time out in the M1, again after about 3 years of driving an auto and it felt like butter. Super smooth and I barely bucked it.

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
Practice. That’s it. No tricks or easy solutions.
And making sure your seat is in the right spot. The difference between smooth shifting and jerky shifting for me can be as little as a tiny tap of the seat forward or backward. I actually adjust slightly depending on whether I'm wearing my work/dress shoes or sneakers.

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
To jump onto the response above, I feel i have to have the seat further forward than I have in other cars in the past to get good clutch control. I'm still new to the Mustang and I'm still learning how it likes to shift. Driving around yesterday I found if I drove without thinking about it I was smoother, when I was concentrating I'd have the odd jerk but nothing major.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I also like to recommend looking at your shoes. I find i shift better with a shoe that provides a little bit more slip or flexibility in how my foot sits on the clutch/moves with the action. Not slippery and sliding around but just a bit more give then say a shoe that grips hard on the pedal.

If you find that one day you just shift better than normal maybe look at the shoes you are wearing and replicate. i prefer a flexible sneaker over a boot/dress shoe or something with stiff leather.
Sponsored