Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
So here is some more food for thought. I found a competitor to liqui only (cera etc) who was a little more open about their contents and advertise they suspend the hBN particles in an ester base stock oil. Esters together with POAs are the only group IV oils. I wonder if the noise is dampened more by the base stock additives than the hexagonal Boron Nitride particles.

Theres no doubt that hBN reduces wear AND friction. But it may or may not have any impact on mechanical noise. It would be interesting if some one with the tick tried adding just a half a quart of a Group V oil to their off the shelf group III synthetic.
Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
My car is a MY18 built in November 2017 and I only have 850 miles on it but I have not noticed any ticks or abnormal sounds of any kind. I am running a 3.0L Whipple so my oil is 5W50. Maybe the 5W50 is preventing this? Or maybe I don't have enough miles yet? Not sure but happy so far.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Excessive crankshaft clearance would cause the tick with the rods, and potentially cause cylinder damage parallel to the crank. This is exactly the failure mode we're seeing. I'd be curious to see how many cars have excessive thrust bearing clearance.
The rods in the Coyote are free floating on the piston wrist pin, so any crank end play movement would have to be pretty excessive to take up all the free float clearance on the rods (on the rod big end too) in order to put side loads on the pistons.

In the case seen in this thread, the excessive rod big end side clearance would all have to be taken up by even more excessive crank end clearance movement in order to transfer a side load into the piston.

From the service manual: Crankshaft maximum end play = 0.0110 in (0.28 mm). This is basically half the clearance of the max allowed rod side clearance of 0.50 mm.

On 2018+ cylinder wear marks, what can't be seen on a bore scope inspection is any corresponding wear marks on the piston area where the ring lands are. Or are these cylinder marks people are seeing just wear from the rings trying to break-in on not perfectly round cylinders.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@spogshd - did the Tech get any crankshaft end play clearance measurement on your friend's car?

Also, even though it's not a 2018, can any cylinder wear marks be seen from below on cylinders where the piston is positioned near top dead center? That might be possible to see if the botton half of the cylinder is visible.

Last edited:

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
@spogshd - did the Tech get any crankshaft end play clearance measurement on your friend's car?

Also, even though it's not a 2018, could any cylinder wear marks be seen from below on cylinders where the piston was near top dead center? That might be possible to see.
He's going on Wednesday, just so happens ill be there on Wednesday also having some mufflers fitted, I will mention what you said to him.

Sponsored

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well guys its not what i thought, the inspection went ahead today as planned. He did a thorough inspection of the bottom end and he said all the journals and end play were all within the ford specification.
All the rod ends came off and all the bearings were measure up and looked at, all were in excellent condition.
So the conclusion is you can rule out the bottom end.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well guys its not what i thought, the inspection went ahead today as planned. He did a thorough inspection of the bottom end and he said all the journals and end play were all within the ford specification.
All the rod ends came off and all the bearings were measure up and looked at, all were in excellent condition.
So the conclusion is you can rule out the bottom end.
@spogshd - How did the new inspector conclude the rod side clearance was within spec when the shop Tech measured all rod pairs to be over the maximum 0.5 mm clearance?

Did the inspector measure all rod side clearances, and also the crankshaft end play? What numbers did he come up with? Seems kind of fishy.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I was there this time when he measured them, it wasn't just a quick in and out with the gauges, he was very thorough spent all morning taking photos and meticulous feeler gauge measuring of end play and journal clearance, all were good.
I wish I was saying otherwise I really do. When the final report is typed up I will post it.
20180905_142127.jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was there this time when he measured them, it wasn't just a quick in and out with the gauges, he was very thorough spent all morning taking photos and meticulous feeler gauge measuring of end play and journal clearance, all were good.
Just seems strange that a simple measurement like rod end clearance is found to be so different by two mechanics. Thanks for keeping us all informed as this engine inspection unfolds.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I wish I was saying otherwise I really do. When the final report is typed up I will post it.
20180905_142127.jpg
Let's hope the tick is something less serious in general.

Sponsored

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Let's hope the tick is something less serious in general.
I don't think it is something serious but if you were to come and buy a car that sounded like that would you buy it even if the seller said its okay a few sound like this, that's the only problem.:headbang:

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I had the "BBQ tick" in my 17 GT and took it in and after a few days, they sent me these pictures. Eventually told me a rod had broke in half and that was causing the tick. I had no power issues besides the annoying tick. And yes, it appeared two days after I had my oil changed.
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I had the "BBQ tick" in my 17 GT and took it in and after a few days, they sent me these pictures. Eventually told me a rod had broke in half and that was causing the tick. I had no power issues besides the annoying tick. And yes, it appeared two days after I had my oil changed.
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG

we heard of so many reasons for the bbq tick. this is just another one. when they told you eventually that a rod broke in half, should the engine not brake in a sec. instead of running with no power issues? And how could a oil additive like cera tec fix that , even just for a short time?

Last edited:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I was told mine was due to Timing chain tensioner being weak causing slack. They are replacing it, should have the car back mid week. Tensioner is hydraulically driven makes me nervous I have bad oil pressure.

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
we heard of so many reasons for the bbq tick. this is just another one. when they told you eventually that a rod broke in half, should the engine not brake in a sec. instead of running with no power issues? And how could a oil additive like cera tec fix that , even just for a short time?
You know, I’m not even sure anymore. I explained what i was told from the dealership. Ford had a representative look at the car before they agreed to replacement it. I could always go back and request the service documents but the car is not even mine anymore.
Sponsored