Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
After running the car for a while the tick did return :crying: so back to square one where we started:headbang:.
What we did notice was that the tick was intermittent every 4 or 5 seconds but when the air con was switched on it became constant.
Could this be anything to do with the balancer, we have a spare one so will change it tomorrow.:clock:
when you get a new short block does it come with a balancer or do you transfer the original one.
Dang ... I kind of figured it would return, that's why I suggested not putting the Cera Tec in just yet. I still think it's excessive rod side clearance. I just can't see how the first mechanic didn't measure them correctly, and then the second mechanic thought they were OK. This is like a crazy crime novel with all kinds of twists and turns in the plot. :crazy:

This might be a good time to try the Cera Tec ... if it makes the tick go away it's definitely something in the bottom end inside the engine, and not something like the balancer.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It also could just be that the ac puts a small load on the engine which effects the ticking. Are you auto or manual? If manual you could try keeping the ebrake on in first gear and just barely let the clutch out at idle until there’s a slight drag and see if it effects the ticking in the same manner as the ac being on.
Yes, there have been many videos of the BBQ Tick getting worse with the AC turned on because it seems to put a slight load on the engine which aggravates the ticking.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, there have been many videos of the BBQ Tick getting worse with the AC turned on because it seems to put a slight load on the engine which aggravates the ticking.
Agree on the A/C comment. Initially my car's tick with the A/C on was worse. I would cut the A/C off and it stopped completely. Several months after it started I would turn the A/C off and it only lessened. It didn't stop like initially.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 lightning blue Mustang GT
I think I'm in the minority here, i have a 2017 gt that i bought new in May of last year. I dont put a lot of miles on my cars and it was 10 months and 2800 miles before i changed the oil in it. I never had the tic and so far every thing is good at 4500 miles. I hope to avoid it since i traded a hemi ram that had it. I ended up having to file suit against Dodge because the "i dont hear anything" " you have plenty of warranty left" excuses. I waited to long for a buy back but i did come out on top with the lawsuit. My only advice is to take it to the dealer to document the problem. It's important to leave a paper trail. Good luck and knock on wood

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It also could just be that the ac puts a small load on the engine which effects the ticking. Are you auto or manual? If manual you could try keeping the ebrake on in first gear and just barely let the clutch out at idle until there’s a slight drag and see if it effects the ticking in the same manner as the ac being on.
Tried this but nothing changed.

Sponsored

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe fords tolerances are to big, who knows, do they really need to be .500 mm.

Toro73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
Agree on the A/C comment. Initially my car's tick with the A/C on was worse. I would cut the A/C off and it stopped completely. Several months after it started I would turn the A/C off and it only lessened. It didn't stop like initially.
Same here, A/C makes it louder. Once it gets hot the tick is barely noticeable.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
He took all the belts off and ran it for a short while as no water was being pumped round, this reduced the ticking significantly.
So A/C makes it louder, no belts makes it a lot quieter.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Did the mechanic check the pulley system for any abnormal play - since you have stated that after the drive belt was removed and the drive system was not under any tension?

Is the tensioner pulley creating any noises?

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Did the mechanic check the pulley system for any abnormal play - since you have stated that after the drive belt was removed and the drive system was not under any tension?

Is the tensioner pulley creating any noises?
It was still there but a lot fainter with no belts so I doubt it could be the tensioner.

Sponsored
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
It was still there but a lot fainter with no belts so I doubt it could be the tensioner.
PREV. gen coyote had pulley related flavor of engine tick besides others.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He took all the belts off and ran it for a short while as no water was being pumped round, this reduced the ticking significantly.
So A/C makes it louder, no belts makes it a lot quieter.
Could still just be changing the load on the engine with all the belts removed. It seems the ticking changes with load on the crankshaft.

I would think if it was coming from a belt or pulley, that someone listening closely with their head near the engine could tell if the ticking was coming from a belt or pulley on the outside of the engine.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe I should switch to 5w30.

If 5w20 is that much better then why non CAFE countries do not get latest and greatest?

People in US get their long and short blocks replaced and for some ticking re-appears.

At the same time non US forum members are impacted by bbq tick much less.

This simple statistical evidence is just hiding in plain sight.

Switching from 5w20 to 5w30 might not always fix the tick 'cause the damage has already been done.

But I think that the sooner the new car or car with new engine switches to 5w30, the less chance of tick coming into the picture.

Going to the dealer for *block replacement scares me more than switching to 5w30. These guys screw more than they fix.

The question I have - which brand would you suggest? Especially if the engine had already been previously exposed to bbq ticking? Which ones contain some useful additives and are still reasonably priced?

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Had the car up on the ramp and was told its more prominent on your passenger side towards the back of the block.
Just for the record the damper was also switched for another.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the car up on the ramp and was told its more prominent on your passenger side towards the back of the block.
Just for the record the damper was also switched for another.
Back where the last pair of rods had pretty excessive side clearance ... :bandit:
Sponsored