Q Tip

Q Tip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 10spd PP1
Thanks to the poster who recommended the Australian Barra engine. I was unaware of that one. Looks like a match made in heaven. Hp and torque numbers are healthy to say the least!
Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
If you can do a straight 6, make a new casting for the block, oil pan and crank and make it a V12! Could you imagine! A V12 Twin Turbo Mustang? Use the same pistons, heads, rods, cams, valves, much of the internals ..

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nah, the Ford GT used the 6 because it saved weight and simultaneously allowed them to make the engine bay smaller (to save even more weight) while still hitting their power target.
My understanding is that Ford had already been using the TT V6 in Daytona Prototype race cars. So it was cheap to just lift that existing engine from a DP and use it. I'm not saying it's a bad engine for a race car. Obviously it worked great for them. But the decision to use it was purely functional from a winning races standpoint rather than trying to optimize the sound/performance of the vehicle.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that Ford had already been using the TT V6 in Daytona Prototype race cars. So it was cheap to just lift that existing engine from a DP and use it. I'm not saying it's a bad engine for a race car. Obviously it worked great for them. But the decision to use it was purely functional from a winning races standpoint rather than trying to optimize the sound/performance of the vehicle.
If I remember right, the Daytona Prototype was actually built to test the engine and transmission for the GT.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Barra is the "American" 2JZ. They have already made over 2000hp with factory block and heads and a single turbo
While I love the Coyote powerplant, and really enjoy driving mine everyday, I just cant stand the sound of it until it gets to 5k. I hate the raspy sound and have tried 3 different mufflers. Stock sounded the best.

Sponsored

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but it does have long tubes and high flow cats. I am going to try an xpipe with resonators or maybe with bullet style mufflers

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
There a ford turbo inline 6, but i think its only in australia, they call it a barra engine
And it is an absolute weapon. I just sold my F6 yesterday, the engines in these cars are brutal, can take a ton of boost and literally nearly fly.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and Barra engine is available in US. They started importing them

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Technology is the replacement for displacement. It's why many of you own a little 5.0L V8 that makes 460hp stock. It's why the 2020 Ford GT makes 660hp from an even smaller 3.5L V6.

We should get used to the concept of having a 6cyl in the Mustang GT. I can see that happening in the next 5-10 years, if it doesn't go full 4cyl hybrid. Our BMW 6 is a beast. You can spend $1500 on the N54 and have over 400whp/460wtq and pull mid to high 11sec range in the quarter. I would rock a boosted 6 Mustang any day. Hopefully Ford won't have the german electronic quirks we get from the Bimmer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Technology is the replacement for displacement. It's why many of you own a little 5.0L V8 that makes 460hp stock. It's why the 2020 Ford GT makes 660hp from an even smaller 3.5L V6.

We should get used to the concept of having a 6cyl in the Mustang GT. I can see that happening in the next 5-10 years, if it doesn't go full 4cyl hybrid. Our BMW 6 is a beast. You can spend $1500 on the N54 and have over 400whp/460wtq and pull mid to high 11sec range in the quarter. I would rock a boosted 6 Mustang any day. Hopefully Ford won't have the german electronic quirks we get from the Bimmer.
I wouldn't mind the displacement decreasing due to technology "improvements" as long as weight stays low and power equal or better, but I really don't want Ford to cheap out and go with fewer than 8 cylinders. I do think that the 5.0 has a great high revving characteristic and I hope that whatever Ford does they keep that. Lots of low end torque is not the greatest setup for a dual use vehicle. On the streets it's really nice to be able to keep the revs down on low traction days and have peace of mind that a slight foot movement won't spin you out.

I drove a few BMWs and I think they sounded like garbage. I got back into my GT350 and I felt terrific - I made the right decision at the time keeping it vs. trading to a Bimmer.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I wouldn't mind the displacement decreasing due to technology "improvements" as long as weight stays low and power equal or better, but I really don't want Ford to cheap out and go with fewer than 8 cylinders. I do think that the 5.0 has a great high revving characteristic and I hope that whatever Ford does they keep that. Lots of low end torque is not the greatest setup for a dual use vehicle. On the streets it's really nice to be able to keep the revs down on low traction days and have peace of mind that a slight foot movement won't spin you out.

I drove a few BMWs and I think they sounded like garbage. I got back into my GT350 and I felt terrific - I made the right decision at the time keeping it vs. trading to a Bimmer.
Our 335 sounds great, but it is a 335is with intake, sports exhaust, and no cats. Stock N54 cars sound neutered. I am sure it is because they are BMW and still trying to build cars for luxury.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
... The GT runs at 30psi, which is ridiculous.
Where are you getting this from? I ask because the peak torque is indicative of more like 18 psi. Perhaps the 30 psi is in absolute...

.How about we bring things down to a more reasonable level:
800HP on 91 octane at a very reasonable 9.5 psi.
Dollars to doughnuts the Ford GT motor is more reliable at whatever-it’s-boost-is than the coyote is at 9.5 psi.
Sponsored