Sponsored

Anyone else drive like a granny?

Lapptopp

Threads
Reaction score
Colorado, Eastern Plains (no emissions or traffic)
Vehicle(s)
17' Mustang Gt Ruby Red Metallic Base Stick
Lifelong adrenaline junkie and grandfather now. If it's not a run to the grocery store then the gt is hitting a hundred plus. This car is my Prozac. I haven't been pulled over in over ten years and I'm blessed with little to no traffic. Still this is probably not a sustainable mode of driving in the long run. Gotta echo Kara and others; you never know when it's all over.
Sponsored

Lapptopp

Threads
Reaction score
Colorado, Eastern Plains (no emissions or traffic)
Vehicle(s)
17' Mustang Gt Ruby Red Metallic Base Stick
8AE13F1C-779C-4DF7-8B57-25B88A16350B.jpeg
A29D50B1-E5AE-4E65-8EC8-C3A04BDD4B0B.jpeg
If any of you fellow Mustang drivers ever get down to Florida, I need one of of you to drive my car. I want to race my Yamaha against my Mustang.

Knowing both really well, it’s gonna be close but I say the Yamaha by a car length..
I've got airfare Tony if you've got a crib. How about when the snow starts flying here?

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I was on the highway for about 2 hours today. Just set the cruise control at the speed limit, brought up the mileage display, and relaxed, no need to worry about troopers, and sit and watch the mpg numbers go up. People passed me, sure, some of them probably thought they had won by passing a fancy hot rod like mine, but I didn't care. I knew that if I wanted to I could step on the gas and blow right past them at over twice the speed limit. For me, knowing that I have the capability is enough to satisfy me most of the time; I don't have to prove anything, especially to strangers on the road.

It's like big and little dogs. Little dogs are always running around and barking, like they need to prove they're as tough as the big dogs. Most big dogs are mellow, they just lie around and ignore the little ones, secure in the knowledge that they're big and strong. No need to prove anything when you know you're the top dog.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I dd a different car for work during the week and I wouldn’t take my stang to work because people around here are careless, dangerous idiots. Every day going to or from work I’m almost in an accident every single day and it’s only getting worse.

On the weekends and days off I’ll drive the stang because it’s no where near the city where I work and I usually drive mildly and cautiously. Once in a while I’ll open it up as long as it’s an open back road but it’s usually only for a brief moment. I always have my 9500ix and Waze running because the State Troopers in my town love running radar and giving out tickets.

Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
I was on the highway for about 2 hours today. Just set the cruise control at the speed limit, brought up the mileage display, and relaxed, no need to worry about troopers, and sit and watch the mpg numbers go up. People passed me, sure, some of them probably thought they had won by passing a fancy hot rod like mine, but I didn't care. I knew that if I wanted to I could step on the gas and blow right past them at over twice the speed limit. For me, knowing that I have the capability is enough to satisfy me most of the time; I don't have to prove anything, especially to strangers on the road.

It's like big and little dogs. Little dogs are always running around and barking, like they need to prove they're as tough as the big dogs. Most big dogs are mellow, they just lie around and ignore the little ones, secure in the knowledge that they're big and strong. No need to prove anything when you know you're the top dog.
I get that, and I’m sure the macho crap is there for some. For me it’s not about proof; it’s about enjoying the car without being an a-hole to others. It’s fun, and I can so I do, whilst I still can.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The car is not used on a daily basis.
At 55, I’m an extremely defensive driver and one who just like to cruise.
The traffic in the North ATL Metro suburbs does not typically lend itself to spirited driving, and the highways are a free for all...public racetracks full of other drivers with poor skills and questionable judgement.
I’m out early in the morning on my days off, to relax and enjoy the drive with nothing to prove...to myself, or anybody else.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've doubled the speed limit a few times but not for long.... I blame E85.
Not possible in my country :( Speed limit on interstate is 140 km/h and as we know GT can't go 280 km/h :(

Тo improve on my post. I usually drive my car in normal mode with steering put to Comfort setting. When I go long distance I drive with the cruise control on and just listening to Spotify in the car. I'm 32 and I regret not getting the Mustang when I was 25-27 so I was careless more with my car and drived like a teen. I love to cruise in this one though that's the best feeling. And what actually got me into the mustang was a Las Vegas to SF road trip in a Eco Vert. Amazing to cruise in this thing.

Last edited:

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Honestly my wife drives a 2005 Mustang Convertible, it has the 4.0, I have an 87 Formula Firebird with a measly 240HP, and a 67 Buick Riviera with who knows how much HP, and I have almost as much fun in those much slower cars than I do in my 670 HP beast. The experience is completely different for each car on the one hand I love the feeling of rolling into the throttle on the 2016 RS3, but on the other hand the enjoyment of driving is not lost on the other cars.

Do I drive like a grandpa? My wife says so, but some of that goes out the window when in one of the other cars that is not my rusty 2007 Tahoe. now in the later half of my 40's I really look at things differently, Although I only have one speeding ticket, it was in a 1983 Buick Riviera on the Ohio Turn Pike going 76 in a 65!!! I have come to realize several things over the years:
1) anything unexpected that can happen will happen at any time:
2) People just drive more stupid than they used to. Especially the number of morons who think they can text and drive!!!
3) Other people do not give a crap about what you are driving and they will run you off the road whether you are driving an antique or a POS or a brand new car. There is no concern for anyone else, it is all about them.
4) Deer, Turkeys, and other wildlife have no clue what they are doing, This also goes for Dogs and Cats, They will see you coming and decide at the last min that they can cross the road and beat you to the other side...
5) I hate stone chips, and honestly I have found that going slower than traffic saves me from a lot of stone chips. When I am driving faster than traffic I find I get a lot more debris. So I have learned to just take it easy and save my paint.

Do I enjoy the occasional spirited drive... Heck yes! but do I have to do it every day? Nope, have I ever done a smokin' burnout in my RS3? Nope, I know it will roast the tires any time I want therefore there is no need for me to do so.... I actually have no idea how to use line lock...

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I get that, and I’m sure the macho crap is there for some. For me it’s not about proof; it’s about enjoying the car without being an a-hole to others. It’s fun, and I can so I do, whilst I still can.
Perhaps this admirable attitude is influenced by the ghostly vibes from Riverside International Raceway, whose hallowed remains exist under parts of Moreno Valley?
RIRarrowLogx800oorig.jpg

Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Perhaps this admirable attitude is influenced by the ghostly vibes from Riverside International Raceway, whose hallowed remains exist under parts of Moreno Valley?
RIRarrowLogx800oorig.jpg
Roger that, Frank. I remember when it was there, then became Skip's training track, and now sadly buried under shopping centers.
I do a daily run from MoVal to Carlsbad; freeways can be fun, and lots of side roads through the hills.
Shout out to Raceway Ford, where I ordered my GT... saw a nice GT350 on their showroom over the weekend.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Most of the time just cruising. Open it up when the mood strikes, but then right back to cruising. Back-roads are fun, but still only drive at about 60 - 70 %. Never know what someone else is doing, so better safe than sorry.

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
gt.10.jpg

Let me be clear. I'm 44 years old, have had my fair share fast cars ranging from R Volvo's to MB AMG's. However although my car is a GT PP1, I tend to really like to cruise. I don't feel the absolute need to smoke the tires at every stoplight nor drive like Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder. I love the fact when I want to put my foot down, the power is unleashed but normally I just cruise. Maybe because I think she looks soo good.

Anyone else feel the same?
Until I get these lousy stock half-bald Pirelli P ZERO NERO's replaced, it's granny mode or die. Back end cut loose the other day and scared me but good.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I'm 60 and my 19GT is always whispering in my ear "let's go lose your license"... It so easily goes too fast.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I dd for my "work", as a Medical Tech thru 6 counties in Texas gulf coast & Hill Country. I drive the speed limit but from 0-70 sometimes I work the 3.55 for the torque feel it provides. Learning to "Performance drive" a sports car has been the most enjoyable experience & I am always learning more. Defensive driving is a must and being aware is a big part of that. I stay aware of my conditions and place in traffic. I've never used Line-lock nor done a burnout, I have "barked" 2nd gear a time or 2.
Sponsored