Sponsored

Anyone else drive like a granny?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I agree TD and I don't do that, when I do hammer it it's open road but boy if I do get busted, it won't be pretty.
Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Let's break it down. On an average daily drive the only way to drive "spirited" is to also drive like an A-hole. My typical drive is mostly on 35-45 MPH speed limit surface streets with moderate traffic. If I open it up I'm just going to catch up to the car that's half a block in front of me, and the only way around that is to swerve about changing lanes constantly and then I'm going to get caught at the next red light anyway. I hate people who drive like that and I internally laugh at them as they get caught at lights and for all their effort end up at the exact same place as the rest of us just putzing along at speed limit + a couple.

Open road is a different story, and I will occasionally alter my route home to a less populated route too allow a little fun.

Bottom line - hooning around in normal commuter traffic is both discourteous and pointless.
I don't have your problems, I get to go 150 mph on a long Interstate bridge and drive like an A-Hole on no traffic country roads just about anytime I want. I do miss my Brembo brakes though.

Deleted member 35786

I don't have your problems, I get to go 150 mph on a long Interstate bridge and drive like an A-Hole on no traffic country roads just about anytime I want. I do miss my Brembo brakes though.
The causeway?

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
I'm waiting until my points come back in November...too risky in the speed camera state.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I did not leave the word out. Was just using what the original poster used. Even with your added word, my point is still the same. BTW, I have no issues with someone doing it, but the original poster may if you did it just to make people think you spent a lot of money apparently.
Not the way the thread reads . . . I tracked it back yesterday before posting about it (something I do to avoid foot-in-mouth disease).

There's some difference in meaning between
... a car that someone built up with their own time, sweat, and ideas.
and
... that built their own car?
That difference is more apparent when you've seen this owner-built car go from looking like this . . .
408514228_UPdfyL-1.jpg

. . . to this.
full.jpg

Or looked into the kit car side of the hobby . . .
Caterham 7.jpg

Norm

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not the way the thread reads . . . I tracked it back yesterday before posting about it (something I do to avoid foot-in-mouth disease).

There's some difference in meaning between

and

That difference is more apparent when you've seen this owner-built car go from looking like this . . .
408514228_UPdfyL-1.jpg

. . . to this.
full.jpg

Or looked into the kit car side of the hobby . . .
Caterham 7.jpg

Norm
Ok I missed that, but my point is still the same. Yes you could assume someone built it up themselves, but odds are they may not have, someone else did the work. In either case you would not know by them just driving up to a place. The assumption the original poster was making is that money spent is not impressive to him. Unless you know what and how the money was spent and who did the work, being pretentious could or could not be the right thought. I missed a word but you are making a bad assumption using "pretentious" carte blanche.

So let's call it even and move on :like:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No disputing what you are saying here. On the street, very hard to push it, but on particular back roads or a road course you can push it. I am not a pro so my push is far less than what the car truly can do.
The thing is, once you get into pushing your car really hard on the track - and you get to do that regularly enough - the urge to push street driving beyond merely brisk pretty much goes away. That applies to even the high speed thing; 125 mph on the street with half a mile or more to get slowed back down in is downright boring compared to seeing that same 125 mph just before the 500-foot marker to a 70 mph corner. I'm by no means a "pro driver".

I can't speak for others, but "looking good arriving" in the context of Porsche, Merc, and Audi is a negative as far as I'm concerned. Too close to "pretentious", or "bought mainly for the image value".

You are going down the old "slippery slope" with your comments. Anything beyond a Civic could be pretentious, right? Certainly a Mustang rumbling up to the valet would seem as pretentious as a "quiet" Porsche. It is all in the eye of the beholder. If you rolled up in a 911 RS I would want to talk to you. Someone else may be envious. Yet another would use pretentious, but how would you know it fits? if the person is a millionaire would that word still ring true? You would not know if that was the case or the person rented it right? Be careful of judging something or someone solely based on what you think you know.
When I said that I couldn't speak for others, I meant that to include you. If you don't like the word "pretentious" or the implication that I feel those nameplates are a bit too upscale for me personally, skip past all that and stick with "bought mainly for the image value".

Norm.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ok I missed that, but my point is still the same. Yes you could assume someone built it up themselves, but odds are they may not have, someone else did the work. In either case you would not know by them just driving up to a place. The assumption the original poster was making is that money spent is not impressive to him. Unless you know what and how the money was spent and who did the work, being pretentious could or could not be the right thought. I missed a word but you are making a bad assumption using "pretentious" carte blanche.

So let's call it even and move on :like:
Fair enough . . . but I actually have met both guys whose cars I pictured. I used to autocross with the 7 owner (and a Factory 5 Cobra owner before that), and participated in the build thread for the Mustang. The Mustang guy even welded up his own mufflers from sheet metal because nothing commercially available would fit.

I'll go back and very lightly edit my earlier post.

Norm

Last edited:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Fair enough . . . but I actually have met both guys whose cars I pictured. I used to autocross with the 7 owner (and a Factory 5 Cobra owner before that), and participated in the build thread for the Mustang. The Mustang guy even welded up his own mufflers from sheet metal because nothing commercially available would fit.

I'll go back and very lightly edit my earlier post.

Norm
I got what you are saying about building up your own car, very cool thing to do. Did it a few times long ago. I was trying to be subtle, but I will just come out with it. You are using the word pretentious incorrectly. It does mean to "show off" but only if you are doing it and are not really in a place to do it. I gave the example of renting vs someone that can buy cars like water bottles. I know you meant showing off and that most people do all the time whether they are aware of it or not. It is because if someone thinks you are showing off that's all it takes. Yes, people are pretentious too, you just can only say it if you know its true. Anyway, we are far away from the thread topic :-).

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So closer to the topic, I've realized that it doesn't make much difference which of our cars I'm driving - on the street they all get driven to pretty much the same measurable performance. There's this turn from a traffic light onto a divided highway (complete with a Jersey barrier "median strip"). A little ways down, there's an overhead sign, and as long as I'm not stuck behind two lanes of slower drivers I'm consistently hitting between 58 and 61 mph as I pass it.

I guess that means however much acceleration is required for that is for me a natural amount (well short of "flooring it"). It's more than most other drivers, less than only a few. What reminded me of this was that I had to go to one of the big box hardware store this afternoon, and the trip home brought me through that particular stretch of road. No other traffic (on summer weekends, everybody seems to have gone "down the shore"), and even with this thread in mind it was still a normal, very natural 60 mph at the sign in the WRX.

Norm

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My granny liked to do WOT pulls onto the freeway every chance she got! So yes I drive like a (my) granny! LOL

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Im still running my engine in, only has 900km on the clock and I went WOT once because some smartass was always tailgating me so I had enough and planted it and boy, I was alittle terrified to be honest lol. But the look on the guys face when he eventualy caught back up to me at a set of traffic lights was priceless.

He was driving a Merc, AMG 63. Put him back in his place, felt good :)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
My previous car was a Paxton Tremec magnum set up & I was always aggressive with that car almost everywhere I went. but now I have stall speed auto and I definitely drive more civil and only open her up every now and then..kinda wish I had my Tremec Magnum in my current car but I ain't got the money...
Sponsored

Last edited: