Sponsored

Anyone Else want a Turbo Inline Six?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ya, that’s 30 psi absolute, not gauge.

Boosted Coyotes break pistons and would never pass oem reliability standards. There’s a reason no oem runs 12/1 compression with boost.
Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Did you read the article?

"Bailey traversed more than 800 miles (the route itself was in the neighborhood of 770 miles) in his Skinny Kid Race Cars-built, Sick Seconds 2.0 1969 Chevrolet Camaro…a Pro Modified car on the street in virtually every way. With a small parts trailer in tow, Bailey achieved around nine miles-per-gallon along the trip through Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey."
Honestly I didn't, sterling effort though, not sure if you could drive on the road with that body on though.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Not inline, but I've been saying for a while that Ford should make the 4xx HP option a TT V6 (see Explorer ST for an engine option), then keep the GT V8, but make an "Ecoboost" version, maybe mid 4 liters (4.4, 4.5), TT, ~550HP, loads of low end and still spins to 7K.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yes, compare a n/a to a FI motor. How does that motor do without boost? The 3.5 Duratec is a better apples to apples comparison. At 290 horsepower, it's making less per liter than the Coyote.

Now let's boost the Coyote. The GT runs at 30psi, which is ridiculous. How about we bring things down to a more reasonable level:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/my-2018-hellion-street-sleeper-dyno-results.109086/

800HP on 91 octane at a very reasonable 9.5 psi. Ain't no replacement for displacement.

I'm also amazed that people are still taking my comment at face value, but I'll argue this all day. A bigger engine with a more efficient configuration is going to make more power and take to turbocharging more readily. That being said, the Barra kicks ass and I'd totally buy an s650/750 with a turbo version. The Coyote still has more power potential :wink::fistbump:
Boost is technology. Turbos are the future.
A boosted modern 6 with turbo and DIG will take on a larger N/A V8 with PFI easily. We are already replacing displacement. That's why the Coyote went to DIG to achieve power levels that make it competitive against larger engines. Soon they will be using a turbo 4 with a hybrid system to make that power.
The "no replacement for displacement" thing ended when technology allowed us to increase HP without simply increasing the size of the engine. Back in the 60s and 70s, you needed a bigger engine to make big power.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Ya, that’s 30 psi absolute, not gauge.

Boosted Coyotes break pistons and would never pass oem reliability standards. There’s a reason no oem runs 12/1 compression with boost.
That, and our validation requirements are a minimum of 36k miles in the most extreme conditions without failure. These boosted 800hp coyotes wouldn't even pass an air to boil test. From a fuel system standpoint, we monitor past 100k miles.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Exactly, turbo the v8.
They already boost a V8. See: GT500
It will never happen for the regular GT. The cost would go up thousands and it would be very difficult to pass fuel economy/emissions standards. Our gasoline dev guys are using a lot of resources to help improve the 4cyl. That tells me that Ford has more invested interest in the small engines.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Boost is technology. Turbos are the future.
A boosted modern 6 with turbo and DIG will take on a larger N/A V8 with PFI easily. We are already replacing displacement. That's why the Coyote went to DIG to achieve power levels that make it competitive against larger engines. Soon they will be using a turbo 4 with a hybrid system to make that power.
The "no replacement for displacement" thing ended when technology allowed us to increase HP without simply increasing the size of the engine. Back in the 60s and 70s, you needed a bigger engine to make big power.
No replacement for displacement is still a thing. If you put the same tech on two engines, the larger displacement engine will always make more power. And a V8 will sound better than a 4 cylinder.

Remember it's also about the experience, not the absolute speed.

They already boost a V8. See: GT500
It will never happen for the regular GT. The cost would go up thousands and it would be very difficult to pass fuel economy/emissions standards. Our gasoline dev guys are using a lot of resources to help improve the 4cyl. That tells me that Ford has more invested interest in the small engines.
Small engines are great for passenger cars that have the purpose of being safe, best possible fuel economy and transporting a family.

The Mustang is supposed to be fun and inexpensive. Fuel economy is not important for the Mustang. I would 100% pay a gas guzzler fee to have a simple and inexpensive V8 rather than some crappy tiny turbo engine with batteries and electric motor add-ons for huge complexity and high cost. Ideally the government regulations on fuel economy will go away before too long and the gas guzzler tax will be removed.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
... same tech, different displacement, the bigger one wins...
This is such a circular argument. If you constrain to the “same tech” and only allow the displacement to change, then of course displacement wins. Duh! If I constrain to the same displacement but allow forced induction then boost wins. So whether you allow more displacement or more boost, the one with more wins. Hence, once can replace the other.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This is such a circular argument. If you constrain to the “same tech” and only allow the displacement to change, then of course displacement wins. Duh! If I constrain to the same displacement but allow forced induction then boost wins. So whether you allow more displacement or more boost, the one with more wins. Hence, once can replace the other.
Exactly. And speaking from the view of the industry, we are looking to make the most power in the most efficient manor possible. We aren't developing bigger engines to make more hp. We are advancing the tech in smaller engines.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Why go smaller with boost, when you can go bigger with boost? Turn it up to 11 for when you need that extra push over the cliff.
Weight, emissions, fuel economy, packaging size, pretty much everything we need to consider when developing a vehicle. Remember, the OP is about having an option you can buy from Ford, not creating the ultimate drag car.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
No replacement for displacement is still a thing. If you put the same tech on two engines, the larger displacement engine will always make more power. And a V8 will sound better than a 4 cylinder.
As engineermike said, this is circular logic. Of course you can make more power when applying tech to the larger engine. However, we don't need to. They can achieve the power goals using smaller engines. This gives the benefit of reduced emissions, weight reduction, and simpler packaging. The Coyote exists thanks to this concept. Technology has been the replacement for displacement in commercial vehicles for decades. I think too many on here want to debate over fantasy racers, not realistic production vehicles.

Remember it's also about the experience, not the absolute speed.
To you. To someone else, it may be about making the fastest and most nimble car. Personally, while I like the V8 sound, I also appreciate the sound from an inline 6. If that sound came with a car that could take on VIR faster than any other vehicle in the price range, I think my experience would be wonderful.

Small engines are great for passenger cars that have the purpose of being safe, best possible fuel economy and transporting a family.

The Mustang is supposed to be fun and inexpensive. Fuel economy is not important for the Mustang. I would 100% pay a gas guzzler fee to have a simple and inexpensive V8 rather than some crappy tiny turbo engine with batteries and electric motor add-ons for huge complexity and high cost. Ideally the government regulations on fuel economy will go away before too long and the gas guzzler tax will be removed.
The gas guzzler tax will never go away. Nor will emissions standards. Even China is on board with these things. We aren't going to develop cars and engines just for specific states in the USA. I wouldn't buy a Mustang that only got 15mpg on 93oct, nor would I pay a gas guzzler tax for it. Many on this forum who use the car as a daily driver would avoid it as well. The Mustang hasn't been an inexpensive car for some time. It is Ford's sports car, with many flavors to appeal to different drivers. Small engines will be the only thing that save the car from extinction in the future.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
..you can go bigger with boost? .
You went from a circular argument to a straw man argument. No one is saying that boost plus displacement won’t perform better than boost alone. No one is saying that displacement won’t increase power and torque all other things being equal. The argument is boost/tech versus displacement and the result of more torque and power is the same. Ergo, one can replace the other.

Of course, given an open checkbook, give me boost, displacement, and high flow heads. You wind up with something like mercury marine’s 9 liter twin-turbo Dohc 32 valve monster that makes 1350 hp on pump gas.