4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Is it possible to get data from TCU for yourself? I mean get all speed/acceleration g-force, steering wheel turns and position from gps? I'd like to know how well I perform on track...
Then buy a GPS and use track addict.
Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Just FYI: Since a few months it is actually possible to modify and customize Sync because of the leaked jailbreak method. But since it is not open source this might be hard to achieve except for the smallest modifications. You could shut down the sync os process which is responsible for communicating with the modem, or you could add your own software which works with all available vehicle data. So practically yes, it is easiest to get a separate tool for this

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
So to be sure, this fuse box is in the passenger foot well? Do I need any special tools to do the job? Even better if anyone happens to have a pic or video showing the deed... Sorry if I'm late on that, only checked a few pages of the thread.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to get data from TCU for yourself? I mean get all speed/acceleration g-force, steering wheel turns and position from gps? I'd like to know how well I perform on track...
Yeah, there are a bunch of generic ones available on the OBD-II, and if you get fancy you can also try pulling more specific things over the CANBUS, like reading the individual wheel speed sensors. Get something like an ASL Race Capture, AIM, heck, even a RaspPi and once you find those addresses, just log the values, and you're set. You'd be better off using an external GPS though, things start to get inaccurate at 100+ mph. If you don't know how well you perform on track though, there are some free apps like Track Addict which work well, and if you download Race Render on your home computer, you can import your GoPro video, sync the data over from your phone, and make all those neat overlays.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So to be sure, this fuse box is in the passenger foot well? Do I need any special tools to do the job? Even better if anyone happens to have a pic or video showing the deed... Sorry if I'm late on that, only checked a few pages of the thread.
there is a panel that needs to come off. I haven't done this yet, but was planning on tackling it in the next couple weeks

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The thread is old but I just wanted to add that it's understandable to have concerns about data collection, cyber attacks, and potential privacy breaches. Taking steps to disable the 4G modem can be a way to regain control over your personal information.
Are you using FaceBook, cell phone.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Argument can be had that cell phones may use geolocation for safety concerns (ie. 911, amber alerts, etc.). But why on earth does Ford (or any car manufacturer need to track my location? Or my driving habits? Iā€™m not flying a commercial plane, itā€™s my personal vehicle for personal use.

So using the excuse that cell phones track us anyway is just asinine. In fact, it borrows the argument that Ford has less reasons to do it themselves.

The S650 being a Fully Networked Vehicle is even worse. ā€œTheyā€ can send it to limp mode remotely, and itā€™s embedded.

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Argument can be had that cell phones may use geolocation for safety concerns (ie. 911, amber alerts, etc.). But why on earth does Ford (or any car manufacturer need to track my location? Or my driving habits? Iā€™m not flying a commercial plane, itā€™s my personal vehicle for personal use.

So using the excuse that cell phones track us anyway is just asinine. In fact, it borrows the argument that Ford has less reasons to do it themselves.

The S650 being a Fully Networked Vehicle is even worse. ā€œTheyā€ can send it to limp mode remotely, and itā€™s embedded.
Agreed.. and to add to this the cell phone data can't really assume you are driving. If it's your vehicle, they will assume you are. Plus the vehicle can send data points like seat belts, acceleration rates, etc. All of this is data the insurance companies would probably love to have. This is the reason I don't use their dumb safe driver apps.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Since this old thread is being brought up again, did anyone watch the Alex Murdaugh trial?

Alot of the discussion here is actually relevant. Investigators were able to figure out how fast he was going and his GPS location, from his car. I forget the exact details basically he was on trial for murdering his family. At the time of the murder, he was in his car near the scene, he got out, grabbed his wife's phone and got back in his car. He then drove away, and tossed his wifes phone through the window. They found the phone on the side of the road and were able to say that it was him because they used data from the car that give them the GPS and speed, they were able to see him slow down at the point where they found the phone

It actually was a big point in his case that actually helped sway the jury. He didn't have a Ford but it was a GM car. I wonder if GM had something like this and if he disabled the fuse if the Investigators would have been able to get that data.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
The thread is old but I just wanted to add that it's understandable to have concerns about data collection, cyber attacks, and potential privacy breaches. Taking steps to disable the 4G modem can be a way to regain control over your personal information.
Data breaches and privacy are always worries. But hacking will become a bigger problem for all IoT or in this case Internet Connected Cars. Advocates of this tech will say you just need to keep things updated - which is fair. But removing this functionality is a better, safer solution.

Hypothetically speaking, whos to say that someone hacks Ford, and starts all cars connected to the Ford Pass app? It just takes one bad actor or one coding oversight to create chaos.

Do I really need GPS or a data connection on my car? No. That is the reason I have pulled those fuses - eliminating these sorts of threats.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Since this old thread is being brought up again, did anyone watch the Alex Murdaugh trail?

Alot of the discussion here is actually relevant. Investigators were able to figure out how fast he was going and his GPS location, from his car. I forget the exact details basically he was on trail for murdering his family. At the time of the murder, he was in his car near the scene, he got out, grabbed somebody's phone, and got back in his car. He then drove towards his house, and a constant speed and slowed down very slow. Allegedly he did this to toss the phone, because he slowed down for like 3 seconds and then sped back up.

It actually was a big point in his case that actually helped sway the jury. He didn't have a Ford but it was a GM car. I wonder if GM had something like this and if he disabled the fuse if the Investigators would have been able to get that data.
Iā€™d imagine if any configuration data is stored and power was cut to the vehicle/fuse, there may be a LION backup battery in the TCU itself. The best way to circumvent an RF signal surely is to cut its access to RF via electrical obstruction of its radiating element (aka faraday cage). I didnā€™t say antenna for a reason, but it could be simply that or more integrated. Iā€™ve done some R&D with TCUā€™s for another industry, and inside are things like temperature sensors, tilt sensors, GPS, accelerometers, back up batteries or capacitors and more.

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Iā€™d imagine if any configuration data is stored and power was cut to the vehicle/fuse, there may be a LION backup battery in the TCU itself. The best way to circumvent an RF signal surely is to cut its access to RF via electrical obstruction of its radiating element (aka faraday cage). I didnā€™t say antenna for a reason, but it could be simply that or more integrated. Iā€™ve done some R&D with TCUā€™s for another industry, and inside are things like temperature sensors, tilt sensors, GPS, accelerometers, back up batteries or capacitors and more.
In this case, I believe there are not. I pulled my fuse some time ago and Fordpass is still stuck at the time/place where I pulled it.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
While those are collecting the same level of info, they are different actors and offer different levels of service in return for infringement. In this case, I don't use Fordpass so I get nothing of value in return therefore I have no desire to share that information or accept the risk that comes with not having control over who that gets shared with.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just pull the power and data harness off the TCU. Done. I did it a long time ago and never looked back
Sponsored