4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Data breaches and privacy are always worries. But hacking will become a bigger problem for all IoT or in this case Internet Connected Cars. Advocates of this tech will say you just need to keep things updated - which is fair. But removing this functionality is a better, safer solution.

Hypothetically speaking, whos to say that someone hacks Ford, and starts all cars connected to the Ford Pass app? It just takes one bad actor or one coding oversight to create chaos.

Do I really need GPS or a data connection on my car? No. That is the reason I have pulled those fuses - eliminating these sorts of threats.
The GPS still works. The only thing you are removing is connectivity to Ford.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Since this old thread is being brought up again, did anyone watch the Alex Murdaugh trail?

Alot of the discussion here is actually relevant. Investigators were able to figure out how fast he was going and his GPS location, from his car. I forget the exact details basically he was on trail for murdering his family. At the time of the murder, he was in his car near the scene, he got out, grabbed somebody's phone, and got back in his car. He then drove towards his house, and a constant speed and slowed down very slow. Allegedly he did this to toss the phone, because he slowed down for like 3 seconds and then sped back up.

It actually was a big point in his case that actually helped sway the jury. He didn't have a Ford but it was a GM car. I wonder if GM had something like this and if he disabled the fuse if the Investigators would have been able to get that data.
My wife is an attorney on the prosecution side. She worked on a case where a purp's cell phone with one of those step apps solved the case by helping locate the body.

I dont see why the cops couldn't get access to a vehicles records and data if needed for the same purpose.

I also don't see why an attorney couldn't get the data if a vehicle was involved in a serious crash.

I pulled the plug a long time ago.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
there is a panel that needs to come off. I haven't done this yet, but was planning on tackling it in the next couple weeks
Open the trunk. In the left rear corner is the TCU. Remove the trunk lining. Pull the power harness as well as the data harness.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
My wife is an attorney on the prosecution side. She worked on a case where a purp's cell phone with one of those step apps solved the case by helping locate the body.

I dont see why the cops couldn't get access to a vehicles records and data if needed for the same purpose.

I also don't see why an attorney couldn't get the data if a vehicle was involved in a serious crash.

I pulled the plug a long time ago.
We like to better understand our customers. 😂
The better question for me, since presumably some commercial paid wireless connection would be required to facilitate the data transfer, is that I see no recurring revenue opportunity to subsidize the cost of the network usage. Excluding WI-FI, who’s paying the data bill?….and just how important is this information?

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
We like to better understand our customers. 😂
The better question for me, since presumably some commercial paid wireless connection would be required to facilitate the data transfer, is that I see no recurring revenue opportunity to subsidize the cost of the network usage. Excluding WI-FI, who’s paying the data bill?….and just how important is this information?
Ford is paying the bill. And that shows how valuable the data is to them. Heck, they even give you Ford points that have value as well. Some get oil changes or buy parts with their points.

They want the data. Just like everything else in todays society, information is king.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Ford is paying the bill. And that shows how valuable the data is to them. Heck, they even give you Ford points that have value as well. Some get oil changes or buy parts with their points.

They want the data. Just like everything else in todays society, information is king.
While the usage data has tremendous value to them, what's to say they aren't looking to offset that cost by selling access to someone else who values it just as much? Insurance companies are already willing to take a financial hit to get you to run a device collecting that same data. What's to keep them from buying that data tied to a VIN or extrapolating a parking location to identify a customer?

Ford doesn't need to know how fast my car goes, they have a few of their own they can test if they'd like.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
While the usage data has tremendous value to them, what's to say they aren't looking to offset that cost by selling access to someone else who values it just as much? Insurance companies are already willing to take a financial hit to get you to run a device collecting that same data. What's to keep them from buying that data tied to a VIN or extrapolating a parking location to identify a customer?

Ford doesn't need to know how fast my car goes, they have a few of their own they can test if they'd like.
The data implications are limitless.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Insurance companies do a lot with the data they collect, including usage rates of the vehicle. A few companies even started their own car share services, basically when you park your car at the airport you can rent it out while on your trip. The insurance company gets a fee for the service and also collects data on who you’re renting it to, for how long and where. They’re also collecting info on the driving habits of whoever you rent your car to. It’s scary how much info they’re collecting (and they’re probably selling it as well)

TentacleKitty

Tentacle Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota Tacoma
Interesting thread. Two things I found:

1) I found this on one of Ford's Developer websites, regarding how Ford might make vehicle data available to insurance companies:

https://developer.ford.com/usage-based-insurance

UBI data services overview

This developer portal is intended to provide background, understanding and implementation support for Ford’s UBI Data Services Products.

Usage Based Insurance (UBI) is a model of auto insurance where insurance providers offer discounts to vehicle owners based on the driving behaviors associated with their vehicle. With the vehicle owner’s consent, Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with a compatible and activated onboard modem will transmit data to the customer’s insurance provider. Insurance providers have partnered with Ford to enable this data collection so the insurers can offer vehicle owners discounts on their premium. Data collection for UBI offerings include, but is not limited to, miles driven, time of day, GPS location coordinates, speed, acceleration etc.

[ EDIT/Comment: Note it says "discounts" above, but I would not doubt that it is more like "adjustments" to insurance policy premiums based on measured driving behaviors. ]

Also, an overview of other APIs that Ford offers:

https://developer.ford.com/apis

2) Upon further searching, I found this as well:

Ford and Verisk Collaborate to Offer Telematics Data to Insurers

Link: https://www.verisk.com/newsroom/ford-and-verisk-collaborate-to-offer-telematics-data-to-insurers

Last edited:

Sponsored

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
For me I try very hard not to get worked up over the what if. So far I see no indication that data collected by Ford and/or Jeep in our case has affected our insurance in any way. Our auto insurance goes up a little bit each year but nothing that has caused me to call and ask what the hell is going on. So I’ll keep wearing my tin foil hat while driving in an effort to thwart their nefarious activity.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
For me I try very hard not to get worked up over the what if. So far I see no indication that data collected by Ford and/or Jeep in our case has affected our insurance in any way. Our auto insurance goes up a little bit each year but nothing that has caused me to call and ask what the hell is going on. So I’ll keep wearing my tin foil hat while driving in an effort to thwart their nefarious activity.
opt in to the insurance sharing and see what happens after a track weekend.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Which brings up the question…why did they even bother installing the TCU/Modem? What’s the purpose and need?

I prefer not being involved at all. I can afford my own oil changes. Thanks, but no thanks, Ford.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Just pull the power and data harness off the TCU. Done. I did it a long time ago and never looked back
Yes, this is the best approach. Next question is where is the data recorder black box and how is that disabled?