Sponsored

Disabling 4G modem on 2019+ cars

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I was not aware of this, do you have a link?
I've been wondering if the recent cannonball record breakers were going to end up prosecuted due to some electronic tether, be it easypass, using Waze, photos taken at toll positions, etc.
Sponsored

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Chipping in from a security standpoint:

If you personally feel like you're a high profile enough individual that someone might be trying to target you and your vehicle? Then sure, disable the modem to eliminate the possibility of anyone trying to attack the vehicle electronics over the air. I don't know all of you, I can't say if that applies to any of you, but you're adults - make your own risk decisions. I'd imagine the most likely avenue of attack is the password you use on your FordPass account.

If you're concerned about just the general data collection at large and potential disadvantages, I'd tend to go for a more pragmatic approach. While I'm sure plenty of people have drooled about the idea of getting a real time feed of GPS tracks from phones/etc. to use for traffic enforcement, the massive public backlash of "your phone company is sending your realtime GPS coordinates to the police for your safety" would instantly shut the program down and bring on an epic shitstorm of consumer rage.

As for me -- I use LastPass and generated a random password for my FordPlus account that's not used anywhere else. No one is gonna guess that password. So maybe someone finds an exploit in the entire FordPass ecosystem and tries to mess with all vehicles? Well, my GT350 doesn't have remote start - so they can .. unlock the doors? Track my location? I guess I'm not too worried about it.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
If you personally feel like you're a high profile enough individual that someone might be trying to target you and your vehicle?
Nobody's being specifically targeted, it's just mass data collection.

the massive public backlash of "your phone company is sending your realtime GPS coordinates to the police for your safety" would instantly shut the program down and bring on an epic shitstorm of consumer rage.
Indeed.

As for me -- I use LastPass and generated a random password...
You know what would be even simpler relative to OP? If there was a fuse or a module that could just be unplugged to stop supplying power to his 4G. Seems like it could be a relatively simple thing to do. I'd do it, too, got no need for it.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
For you iPhone users:

1. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.

2. Scroll down and tap Privacy.

3. Tap Location Services and scroll all the way to the bottom.

4. Tap System Services.
  5. Scroll all the way down to Significant Locations (called Frequent Locations in some versions of iOS). You can turn this feature off with the toggle button at the top of the Significant Locations screen.
  6. You'll find your location history at the bottom, with location names and dates.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I think you need to activate the 4G Wi-Fi it doesn't come on. If I remember its 30 days or 1GB of data? I got a message on Ford Pass that I need to activate it. No thanks, I'll just hotspot my phone if needed.

Edit - Just checked its 3 months/3GB Trial with AT&T but you do need to activate it.
So your assumption is that once off it is off. Ask google/apple/etc about that. It COULD still be enabled and just not available for end-user access - not saying it is but would not be surprised either. My '16 has no such beast, however if it did I would darn sure want to know how to remove POWER from the device/module so it was truly dead. Yes we all leak data to dozens of providers all the time, that does not mean we should not be aware of it and limit what we can.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I wonder how much of the worry is new tech paranoia or conspiracy theory driven... I remember when the vehicle "black boxes" were first discovered that they contain "data". People actually thought it was "Big Brother" watching and they could even hear what you were saying in your vehicle.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....????????

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
I don't have it right in front of me, but in the 2019 manual that came with the car it does say there is a box recording speed, if you hit the brake or the accelerator. It sees to me it stated it only records back so far, then it starts to overwrite itself. I am sure that data is for the lawyers. If your doing a hard pull and crash, there is no denying you may of been breaking the law when the accident occured. It might be mostly for Ford, they took a huge beating back in the day with the Explorer roll overs, and before that the Pintos being hit in the rear. Or useful in a 'he said, she said' if 2 cars collide. I am sure the 1-800-SUE-THEM" lawyers on TV have a field day with that. This 4g wi-fi is just icing on the cake

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
One of the latest Cannonball guys had an issue using a credit card for fuel because there was "No way you could have traveled that distance in that amount of time" as he had averaged 120mph between stops. He had to tell them to turn off any restrictions for the next 12 hours. There are so many ways we are being tracked, you never think about.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
This is an interesting thread. Some of us don't use any apps like the ones mentioned (or any apps at all, to be honest!).
If you don't use any apps, how do you use your cell phone ? :crazy:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dont worry about cyber attack.
Just worry that your speed and location data is resold to insurance companies to raise all Mustang owner rates.
This is the “high value” application of tracking.
Lol...
Of course, if the acquired data some how always appears to show you drive like grandma...

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Truly a third world problem. Really. What if Elizabeth Warren or, Nancy Pelosi posted nude selfies to the internet ? OMG !
:frown: ..........:facepalm:

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
OK I'm a bit late to the tin foil hat party until recently I was poking around in my google stuff on my phone and HOLY CRAP!!!! it had places I had been how often I went how long I stayed each time duration of time in each city I have been in it labeled my job as work with out any input from me.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
OK I'm a bit late to the tin foil hat party until recently I was poking around in my google stuff on my phone and HOLY CRAP!!!! it had places I had been how often I went how long I stayed each time duration of time in each city I have been in it labeled my job as work with out any input from me.
Yep, welcome to 2021. Enjoy your stay and personal government overseer.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
Yep, welcome to 2021. Enjoy your stay and personal government overseer.
my life was alot simpler 20 years ago when I relied on a Thomas guide and no phone