4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Still not sure I buy into the contract theory.

How about those that buy a low mileage nearly new car privately. Even if the first owner was somehow tied into a contract with Ford, what about the second ?

Same question for those that buy new or lease through a (non Ford owned) third party - their contract is with the third party and not with Ford ?

WD :like:
The only obligation that I see is that if you accept and activate Ford pass, you incur a (i believe it was 2 year) obligation to keep it active. They give you Ford points as compensation for this. Furthermore the dealers are pushing people to activate because they get a monetary compensation as well from Ford. You wouldn't believe the resistance I got when I bought my latest Ford and flat out told them I wanted nothing to do with Ford pass or data collection. I told my salesman that as soon as I got the car home, I would be disconnecting the modem.

So my point is that there is no contract or obligation unless you accept the terms and conditions of the Ford pass enrollment and activation. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If Ford is paying kickbacks to the dealer and providing the points to the end user, there is obviously a valuable thing being transferred. That thing is your data and personal information that Ford can pretty much do as they wish with it.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The only obligation that I see is that if you accept and activate Ford pass, you incur a (i believe it was 2 year) obligation to keep it active. They give you Ford points as compensation for this. Furthermore the dealers are pushing people to activate because they get a monetary compensation as well from Ford. You wouldn't believe the resistance I got when I bought my latest Ford and flat out told them I wanted nothing to do with Ford pass or data collection. I told my salesman that as soon as I got the car home, I would be disconnecting the modem.

So my point is that there is no contract or obligation unless you accept the terms and conditions of the Ford pass enrollment and activation. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If Ford is paying kickbacks to the dealer and providing the points to the end user, there is obviously a valuable thing being transferred. That thing is your data and personal information that Ford can pretty much do as they wish with it.
That's precisely what I was saying. Thing is, there may be other monitors running that you don't know about that communicate a different way. Now, I don't know if it's true or not for Ford, but it's definitely happening with other vehicles. For instance, in Canada, if you disconnect the GPS in a BMW that's less than 1 year old, a bailiff will track the car down and seize it. Doesn't matter if you financed it or paid cash. The stated purpose is to prevent shipment of new BMW's to grey market countries like China, where the same car sells for three times as much. Key point, though, is that even though you "own the car", you can't do as you wish with it - there are rules!

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Owners may be violating their contract with Ford if they disconnect the modem.
Humoring the notion that this is true and we had data police running around checking to make sure everyone was sharing (I know you're not implying this, let's just have some fun). Simple solution: Pull the fuse, pop it, put it back in. "Oops, my modem must be fried."

right now cars will continue to work no problem, new e-cars could be disabled wirelessly or not start if manipulated. that is one easy way to enforce the contract compared to litigation
Without a doubt, it's safe to say we will soon see cars that do not have access to certain features if the data connection cannot be established as this is already the case with many devices, and I'd wager that Tesla would be first if it is not already the case. I do doubt, though, that being unable to start and move the car without a connection would be implemented - think of the legal ramifications in an emergency.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That's precisely what I was saying. Thing is, there may be other monitors running that you don't know about that communicate a different way. Now, I don't know if it's true or not for Ford, but it's definitely happening with other vehicles. For instance, in Canada, if you disconnect the GPS in a BMW that's less than 1 year old, a bailiff will track the car down and seize it. Doesn't matter if you financed it or paid cash. The stated purpose is to prevent shipment of new BMW's to grey market countries like China, where the same car sells for three times as much. Key point, though, is that even though you "own the car", you can't do as you wish with it - there are rules!
I've had my CFTP modem disabled for what? A year now? Nobody has cared or missed me one bit.

Another note:
My GPS is working. This has nothing to do with GPS.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Read the whole thread, did I miss a definitive answer to whether disabling the modem via fuse is sufficient to prevent the car reporting driver data, or does something need to be done so it can't connect to an open wifi?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Read the whole thread, did I miss a definitive answer to whether disabling the modem via fuse is sufficient to prevent the car reporting driver data, or does something need to be done so it can't connect to an open wifi?
I don't think it was ever positively proven that pulling the fuse or diabling the 4G modem will prevent data transmission via wifi.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Wi-Fi can be turned off in settings. Then you should be good to go.
Thanks, its been a while and honestly I haven't thought about this subject in a long time. I wonder what is with the sudden interest again?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey, while I'm thinking of it, does your GT have a spin on oil filter?

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Does it mean that your car will store your driving data and then upload it to Ford once it connects to your home Wi-Fi?

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Does it mean that your car will store your driving data and then upload it to Ford once it connects to your home Wi-Fi?
You're not paying for the LTE/4G service your car is connecting to, but someone is. This implies the value of the data captured is high enough to warrant adding the modem and having an always-on connection. Therefore it would be very safe to presume the computer would use every opportunity given to it to make a connection and phone home, and they were probably already doing this when connecting to Wi-Fi before they started incorporating the modems. I'd also presume the data would be sent through the Ford Pass app when you are connected to the car via Bluetooth.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I don't think it was ever positively proven that pulling the fuse or diabling the 4G modem will prevent data transmission via wifi.
I'm not going to guinea pig this one because I'm 99.999999999% certain we already know the answer.
Sponsored