Sponsored

Unlocking Hotspot Modem

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Trying to figure out how to unlock the wifi modem so I can use it in Europe. Set up for AT&T only, but considering that Fords here use FordConnect, there must be a way to reprogram it. Any hints welcome.
Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I think the key to 'jailbreak' the hotspot capability from ATT as the carrier is usually tied to a SIM card for ATT built into the car. What I have not found is if there is an embedded SIM card - can be swapped to a carrier that services your area? Do some digging on how / if the car's SIM can be replaced and that might get you in the right direction. But that is no guarantee that Ford Sync software is not dependent to ATT. Mobile auto hot spots are usually built with a brand agreement between auto manufacturer and mobile carrier, so they tend not to make it a user selected service. GM partners with Verizon and Onstar, so Ford likely partnered with ATT. I have seen some non US built cars which give the owner the ability to swap SIM cards and thus which carrier supports the mobile hot spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think the key to 'jailbreak' the hotspot capability from ATT as the carrier is usually tied to a SIM card for ATT built into the car. What I have not found is if there is an embedded SIM card - can be swapped to a carrier that services your area? Do some digging on how / if the car's SIM can be replaced and that might get you in the right direction. But that is no guarantee that Ford Sync software is not dependent to ATT. Mobile auto hot spots are usually built with a brand agreement between auto manufacturer and mobile carrier, so they tend not to make it a user selected service. GM partners with Verizon and Onstar, so Ford likely partnered with ATT. I have seen cars which give some non US built cars which give the owner the ability to swap SIM cards and thus which carrier supports the mobile hot spot.
Thanks. That makes sense and is very helpful. Will do some digging. Hoping the sim can be swapped and it's not a hardware issue since Mustangs and other Fords in Europe use carriers other than AT&T. Thanks again.
Sponsored