2020 New Voodoo Big Booboo- Engine Replacement Experience

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
So I'm going to start a new thread about my engine replacement experience here as things move along.

Most of you already saw my photo delivery blog thread where the engine died inside a parking garage in Santa Fe. Right now the car is at the dealer in Santa Fe, Capitol Ford. We will be flying back today to Portland and whenever the motor replacement is done we will come back and finish our journey.

So to recap the incidents in my first three days of ownership:

Delivery Day- 1/4 mile into my first drive, I have a check engine light and wrench warning on the display. Not knowing if it was serious or not I drove to my sales appointment in San Antonio and then back to the dealer. This of course aborted any break in process for the first 30 miles. During this time the motor seemed fine but I couldn't run the AC- so it was in somewhat of a soft limp mode. Dealer diagnosed the issue (which was not very easy) as a cut wire harness that rubbed against the serpentine belt. Took until the next day to repair- everything seemed OK and I started my trip home to Portland.

Day Two- Next 70 miles up and down the rev range from 3K to 7K (never redline, never full throttle approx 70%) until I reached 100 miles. A while latter did a full throttle acceleration, but very low traction with the cold temperature and again did not take to redline- maybe 7500 RPM. Then most of the next two days was highway cruising at 60- 85 MPH.

Day Three in Santa Fe backing up a ramp in a parking garage the engine stumbled, died, turned over on the starter but wouldn't start one time, then after the starter would not turn the motor. We thought it was electrical but in reality the motor was seized. Diagnosis by the dealer- #6 cylinder spark plug damage engine is seized, need a new one.

IMG_5943.jpg

Now:

I called Ford Performance tech line after first calling Ford Customer Service and getting a call center in the Philippines. The tech there was very helpful and told me to work with the service dealer and dealer in San Antonio to open a case for me to discuss all the issues regarding my warranty claims. Hopefully Monday I will talk to a Zone Rep for Ford.

Right away I am looking for:
1) A rental during the repair
2) Compensation for travel expenses. So far two trip delays (my wife's trip delay meeting me in Albuqurque plus our flights home is about $1000
3) I would like an extended warranty on the motor when this is all done.

I have seen some videos about others that have received the extended warranty so I would expect that to work out. As far as the travel expenses I don't know. Rental is a no brainer.

I'll update here as it progresses, anyone with experience on this is welcome to chime in!
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
In my experience, you'll get #1, and you'll have to choose between #2 and #3. Whether or not you'll even have the option for #2 depends on if you have a payment on the car. The reps limit for me was 2 months worth of payment. I would have pocketed $2k instead of $1k if I didn't put such a large down payment on the car.

Unfortunate you went through that, but as long as they do the motor swap correctly, you'll be back on the road and enjoying your car in no time.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope Ford will make it right for you. Regardless, it'll hurts for a while.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I’m just here to follow this journey. Like I said in your last post I can’t imagine.. I worked at Ford for a while, got my ASE certs there. I’ve never seen a engine go that soon personally. A trans yeah a few times. Never the engine I can recall. It was well over 2 decades ago.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Did you by chance get to meet the tech that would be doing the work? Have a decent feeling from the service writer or manager? Hopefully so.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Damn.... wtf... how does a brand new engine just fail like that... I mean c’mon Ford, where’s the QC anymore. These constant failures and major warranty problems on brand new vehicles is just BS - and it’s not just happening to S550’s....

1) You should get a loaner. If they deny you, they’re in the wrong.
2) Not sure if they will compensate for travel expenses or not
3) They will offer 1 of 2 plans: 45k Ford Maintenance Plan or 75k Ford Extended Warranty (runs concurrently with your 3/36 and 5/60). You have the choice of 1 or the other, but not both. IMO, the 75k extended is a shit offer; you can try to nudge them to a 100k ESP IF they will honor the request by your persuasion...

IF your vehicle is kept for a month (30 days) or longer for the repairs, you can request reimbursement for vehicle payment (if the vehicle is leased or financed) for the inconvenience.

Sorry to see and hear that you’re going through this with a brand spanking new Shelby immediately after taking delivery.

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
In my experience, you'll get #1, and you'll have to choose between #2 and #3. Whether or not you'll even have the option for #2 depends on if you have a payment on the car. The reps limit for me was 2 months worth of payment. I would have pocketed $2k instead of $1k if I didn't put such a large down payment on the car.

Unfortunate you went through that, but as long as they do the motor swap correctly, you'll be back on the road and enjoying your car in no time.
Well, the most important compensation for me is the extended warranty, so I will put that first on my list, thanks for the advice!

Did you by chance get to meet the tech that would be doing the work? Have a decent feeling from the service writer or manager? Hopefully so.
I met the service advisor who is a fellow enthusiast. Really great guy who went out of his way after hours to drive us to our hotel. Overall this is a higher end dealership. It looks like they sell a lot of Lincolns and service an upper income clientele. Hopefully that is reflected in the quality of the techs and service.

Damn.... wtf... how does a brand new engine just fail like that... I mean c’mon Ford, where’s the QC anymore. These constant failures and major warranty problems on brand new vehicles is just BS - and it’s not just happening to S550’s....

1) You should get a loaner. If they deny you, they’re in the wrong.
2) Not sure if they will compensate for travel expenses or not
3) They will offer 1 of 2 plans: 45k Ford Maintenance Plan or 75k Ford Extended Warranty (runs concurrently with your 3/36 and 5/60). You have the choice of 1 or the other, but not both. IMO, the 75k extended is a shit offer; you can try to nudge them to a 100k ESP IF they will honor the request by your persuasion...

IF your vehicle is kept for a month (30 days) or longer for the repairs, you can request reimbursement for vehicle payment (if the vehicle is leased or financed) for the inconvenience.

Sorry to see and hear that you’re going through this with a brand spanking new Shelby immediately after taking delivery.
Can you elaborate on why the 75K extended plan is not good? I am looking most importantly for an extended warranty vs. a service plan. I really want a 7 year 100K powertrain warranty so I can enjoy the car without worrying about it during my ownership.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, the most important compensation for me is the extended warranty, so I will put that first on my list, thanks for the advice!

I met the service advisor who is a fellow enthusiast. Really great guy who went out of his way after hours to drive us to our hotel. Overall this is a higher end dealership. It looks like they sell a lot of Lincolns and service an upper income clientele. Hopefully that is reflected in the quality of the techs and service.

Can you elaborate on why the 75K extended plan is not good? I am looking most importantly for an extended warranty vs. a service plan. I really want a 7 year 100K powertrain warranty so I can enjoy the car without worrying about it during my ownership.

Here’s why:
The 75k runs concurrently with the 3/36 and 5/60. It’s not going to give that much of an extension of warranty. If there is an issue with warranty related parts, the 3/36 or 5/60 gets “used” first, even if the car has a 75k or greater ESP. The only time the ESP gets used is once the 3/36 or 5/60 is depleted.

The 5/60 covers the entire powertrain even after the 3/36 is done. So if the 75k is running concurrently, you’re really only getting 15k extended, which is not a lot of coverage.

The ESP plans are best at higher mileage intervals - like you stated, a 100k would be best or the 120k.

A lot of folks don’t read what the 3/36 or 5/60 covers. Those plans cover A LOT for a new car and original owner of the vehicle. I suggest that folks who don’t know actually read what is covered because you’d be surprised.

For such an issue that you’re going through, definitely request a 100k or better as compensation.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
HA HAAAAAAAAAA
I like the thread title,...........2020 Voodoo, Big Booboo!!! :crackup:

Good luck man. Hopefully they make it right sooner than later and your car doesn't sit at the dealership for long. It would suck to make payments on a car that spends it's time on the dealership's repair lot.
Keep us posted. :like:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I also chose the 7yr/100k powertrain, easy decision for this car IMO. I also figured it would ease the next owner's mind a bit since there is a little reputation with this car.

Sponsored

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
how many total miles do you have on the car?

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
He didn't have much. He literally just got the car.
720 miles

I also chose the 7yr/100k powertrain, easy decision for this car IMO. I also figured it would ease the next owner's mind a bit since there is a little reputation with this car.
Did you have an engine replacement? Care to share or PM me your experience in obtaining the extended warranty if you did?

Johns_350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Bummer, man, sorry to hear the trouble you’re going through. I hope they take care of you quickly. The car is worth it! Where abouts in Portland are you from? I’m out in Newberg.

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Bummer, man, sorry to hear the trouble you’re going through. I hope they take care of you quickly. The car is worth it! Where abouts in Portland are you from? I’m out in Newberg.
I’m up near Hillsboro on Skyline. Did you just pick your car up?
Sponsored