2020 New Voodoo Big Booboo- Engine Replacement Experience

svtmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra; 2016 GT350; 2019 Raptor
Congrats on making it to Portland! Looked like a fun drive through Moab.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I "lost" this thread a while ago, since work is very slow right now i went looking to see if there were any updates. Glad to see everything "work" out. Beautiful car and good luck. Im glad you kept it. Im in the boat that numbers matching only mean something on a car that has been stored and ultra low miles. Hopefully youll put a lot of happy miles on this car and a new engine wont matter. I personally wouldnt care if a 90k car with a engine swap at 750 miles or what ever would make a difference to me. Anyway, congratulations on making it home with your car.

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
This has been a great thread to follow. Glad to see you decided to keep the car and the swap went well. I admire how positive you’ve handled the entire situation.
Made it back last night at 11:45. Drove 950 miles yesterday from Greenriver, Utah to Portland, Oregon. The car drove great, no issues with the motor thank goodness! I averaged much better fuel economy than I did with the original motor but that was driving with a big head wind through most of Texas so I don't know if it is relevant. When I picked up the car, I spoke with the mechanic that worked on it. Two things of note he said- 1- the engine swap is much easier on the GT350 than on the 5.0 Mustangs. Everything is just plug and play and the motor is more complete. 2- The dropped valve actually snapped off in the cylinder and jammed in between the piston and the cylinder wall- ugh! I checked the oil twice on the drive and there doesn't appear to be any consumption so far. Two issues I have overall with car not engine related are that the brake pedal is soft like there is air in the lines (maybe caused by the swap?) and that my Apple car play can take up to two minutes to connect (mysynch update needed?).

I didn't break in the motor as aggressively as I did the first time, still haven't redlined the motor, but I now have approximately 1300 miles on the replacement. It was a weird trip with the country poised to be shut down. Road side restaurants are all closed except for drive throughs. My hotel in Greenriver was fine, but everyone was super vigilant on cleaning, myself included. I bought food mostly at fuel stops, but things were really limited and again lots of hand washing going on by me and everyone else at every stop! Driving though Portland last night at 11pm the roads were completely empty, which was eerie. All restaurants, bars and night entertainment is shut down, so no traffic.

I received many compliments on all the stops- lots of compliments on the color! Here's the photo's from yesterday. Most are drive by shots as I only stopped for fuel for the most part:

Started out going the wrong way first thing while talking on the phone
- but I got a glimpse of what I missed driving in the dark through Moab area:
IMG_2413.jpeg

Didn't realize there was such a high pass on my route, 7500 feet. I started watching the thermometer as I drove higher and told myself I would just pull over and wait if the snow started to accumulate on the road. The weather forecast was for clear weather later in the afternoon. This picture was taken near the summit at the worst of it- temp was 28 luckily still clear pavement- JUST! The new tires are amazing in these conditions and never lost grip. (I have front Michelin 4SS and rear Conti Contact+). I drive in a lot of snow regularly but with our SUV and truck on winter tires, so I am used to these conditions, but still was very nervous. Again the tires were amazing for summer tires at these temps and conditions and got me down safely. Don't try this at home:
IMG_2415.jpeg

Down the summit- whew!
IMG_2416.jpeg

Well the car was a dirty mess after that and it was time to stretch my legs so around Provo I found a self wash. She came out nice! But wow she was really dirty. 90% of it came off with the sprayer (the ceramic coating helped):
IMG_2417.jpeg

Still 800+ miles to go! Not sure after the stop if I was going to make it home that night but pressed on and hit rain just near the Utah/Idaho border. So much for my clean car!
IMG_2419.jpeg

Nice to have 80 mph limits though! So I ripped through Idaho. Maybe I would make it home tonight! I crossed into Oregon around 7:00pm. This is the Wallowa's at Sunset in far eastern Oregon just near the Idaho border.
IMG_2423.jpeg

Last shot. Sorry for the poor picture- coming down to Pendleton at Dusk. Almost home (well 200 miles to go!):
IMG_2425.jpeg
Great thread! One question--how comfortable was the car on such a long road trip?

Johns_350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’m glad you got it all worked out. Quite an adventure. Hope to see you around the Portland area sometime...that GL will be hard to miss!

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Glad to hear the shelby’s running well again, lovely photos and thanks for documenting this! Hoping the other folks don’t have to go through what we went though with our motors!! Cheers!
Hey, thanks for the update on your experience. I put in my request for extended warranty and maintenance plan that you received, I'm hoping they provide the same compensation to me! I'll update here.

Glad to see this good ending!

Please keep us updated on the remaining two issues and how they get sorted (brakes and carplay). Best of luck!
The dealer told me they disconnected the brakes to change the motor, so I most likely have air in the line and I need to bleed the brakes. CarPlay is still a mystery...

I "lost" this thread a while ago, since work is very slow right now i went looking to see if there were any updates. Glad to see everything "work" out. Beautiful car and good luck. Im glad you kept it. Im in the boat that numbers matching only mean something on a car that has been stored and ultra low miles. Hopefully youll put a lot of happy miles on this car and a new engine wont matter. I personally wouldnt care if a 90k car with a engine swap at 750 miles or what ever would make a difference to me. Anyway, congratulations on making it home with your car.
Yes, but some people are picky. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, but a long powertrain warranty will help when I do.

Great thread! One question--how comfortable was the car on such a long road trip?
Very with the new tires it was quite comfortable. I was in the car for over 15 hours on the return stretch!

I’m glad you got it all worked out. Quite an adventure. Hope to see you around the Portland area sometime...that GL will be hard to miss!
Yes, that would be nice.

Update:

Just went into lockdown here in Oregon so not much going on. I did check my oil level carefully yesterday and it appears to be overfilled. In fact the dealer confirmed it left that way. It's well above the second dot on the stick. I assume it's not harmful to the motor, but I will get an oil change as soon as I can now that I have put 1400 miles on the new motor.

I will update here when I have a conversation with my CSR. Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Too much oil is not good. If too much is in it, it can be frothed up by the crank and foam up with air, causing pressure to drop. Drain some out.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
If the oil was too high and was getting whipped up you would have noticed it on the highway by the oil pressure fluctuating. Most cars can tolerate around an extra quart w/o issue.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
. I did check my oil level carefully yesterday and it appears to be overfilled. In fact the dealer confirmed it left that way. It's well above the second dot on the stick. I assume it's not harmful to the motor, but I will get an oil change as soon as I can now that I have put 1400 miles on the new motor.
I put exactly 10 qts of oil when I change oil on my GT350. The deep stick showed above upper dot, just about on mark line above dot. So, if you have oil level mark on the line above upper dot then oil is not overfilled.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
When mine is topped off it show a smidge below the top mark.

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Update: Dealer has the motor! Work is starting on the replacement. Maybe Friday....
Hey there, how is it going ?

Were you able to get an extended warranty out of them ?

Good Luck, Beautiful Car!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I put exactly 10 qts of oil when I change oil on my GT350. The deep stick showed above upper dot, just about on mark line above dot. So, if you have oil level mark on the line above upper dot then oil is not overfilled.
When mine is topped off it show a smidge below the top mark.
Well I don't have a mark above the second dot, it is at about the same distance above the top dot as the half the distance between the two dots. I should take a picture LOL. In any case it's time for an oil change.

Hey there, how is it going ?

Were you able to get an extended warranty out of them ?

Good Luck, Beautiful Car!
No phone call but she did send me an email letting me know that she is working on it. Supposed to know on Friday...

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Congrats on finishing the road trip

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
Amazing documentary! Good luck and make sure you bleed the brake lines when you find the time.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
been following form the start, glad it worked out, what an adventure, what a car and what a color. Loved how you were willing to drive it all the way home, Awesome!

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
^ Thanks for the nice comments guys!

No real news, but I did need to take the car to the tire store as I picked up a screw in my driver side rear. After all the issues I had finding someone to work on changing my tires, my local Discount Tires removed the tire and repaired the puncture no problem. They were familiar with the CF wheels and were happy to do it. Jeez, why everyone was so scared to dismount and mount new tires on my car in San Antonio (including the dealer) is beyond me. And as usually the tire repair was free. What great guys! Of course with the new procedures in place for COVID-19 everything is done at a safe distance and only emergency work is being performed.

IMG_2430.jpeg

Pretty beefy suspension parts, thought I would snap a few pictures since I don't think I have seen any;
IMG_2429.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg

Ready to go. Got to hold the CF wheel without the tire... pretty amazing!
IMG_2428.jpeg
Sponsored