Sponsored

2020 New Voodoo Big Booboo- Engine Replacement Experience

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Keep the updates coming! It’ll be nice to see this trip end on a good note. Safe travels.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Made it back last night at 11:45. Drove 950 miles yesterday from Greenriver, Utah to Portland, Oregon. The car drove great, no issues with the motor thank goodness! I averaged much better fuel economy than I did with the original motor but that was driving with a big head wind through most of Texas so I don't know if it is relevant. When I picked up the car, I spoke with the mechanic that worked on it. Two things of note he said- 1- the engine swap is much easier on the GT350 than on the 5.0 Mustangs. Everything is just plug and play and the motor is more complete. 2- The dropped valve actually snapped off in the cylinder and jammed in between the piston and the cylinder wall- ugh! I checked the oil twice on the drive and there doesn't appear to be any consumption so far. Two issues I have overall with car not engine related are that the brake pedal is soft like there is air in the lines (maybe caused by the swap?) and that my Apple car play can take up to two minutes to connect (mysynch update needed?).

I didn't break in the motor as aggressively as I did the first time, still haven't redlined the motor, but I now have approximately 1300 miles on the replacement. It was a weird trip with the country poised to be shut down. Road side restaurants are all closed except for drive throughs. My hotel in Greenriver was fine, but everyone was super vigilant on cleaning, myself included. I bought food mostly at fuel stops, but things were really limited and again lots of hand washing going on by me and everyone else at every stop! Driving though Portland last night at 11pm the roads were completely empty, which was eerie. All restaurants, bars and night entertainment is shut down, so no traffic.

I received many compliments on all the stops- lots of compliments on the color! Here's the photo's from yesterday. Most are drive by shots as I only stopped for fuel for the most part:

Started out going the wrong way first thing while talking on the phone
- but I got a glimpse of what I missed driving in the dark through Moab area:
IMG_2413.jpeg

Didn't realize there was such a high pass on my route, 7500 feet. I started watching the thermometer as I drove higher and told myself I would just pull over and wait if the snow started to accumulate on the road. The weather forecast was for clear weather later in the afternoon. This picture was taken near the summit at the worst of it- temp was 28 luckily still clear pavement- JUST! The new tires are amazing in these conditions and never lost grip. (I have front Michelin 4SS and rear Conti Contact+). I drive in a lot of snow regularly but with our SUV and truck on winter tires, so I am used to these conditions, but still was very nervous. Again the tires were amazing for summer tires at these temps and conditions and got me down safely. Don't try this at home:
IMG_2415.jpeg

Down the summit- whew!
IMG_2416.jpeg

Well the car was a dirty mess after that and it was time to stretch my legs so around Provo I found a self wash. She came out nice! But wow she was really dirty. 90% of it came off with the sprayer (the ceramic coating helped):
IMG_2417.jpeg

Still 800+ miles to go! Not sure after the stop if I was going to make it home that night but pressed on and hit rain just near the Utah/Idaho border. So much for my clean car!
IMG_2419.jpeg

Nice to have 80 mph limits though! So I ripped through Idaho. Maybe I would make it home tonight! I crossed into Oregon around 7:00pm. This is the Wallowa's at Sunset in far eastern Oregon just near the Idaho border.
IMG_2423.jpeg

Last shot. Sorry for the poor picture- coming down to Pendleton at Dusk. Almost home (well 200 miles to go!):
IMG_2425.jpeg

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Made it back last night at 11:45. Drove 950 miles yesterday from Greenriver, Utah to Portland, Oregon. The car drove great, no issues with the motor thank goodness! I averaged much better fuel economy than I did with the original motor but that was driving with a big head wind through most of Texas so I don't know if it is relevant. When I picked up the car, I spoke with the mechanic that worked on it. Two things of note he said- 1- the engine swap is much easier on the GT350 than on the 5.0 Mustangs. Everything is just plug and play and the motor is more complete. 2- The dropped valve actually snapped off in the cylinder and jammed in between the piston and the cylinder wall- ugh! I checked the oil twice on the drive and there doesn't appear to be any consumption so far. Two issues I have overall with car not engine related are that the brake pedal is soft like there is air in the lines (maybe caused by the swap?) and that my Apple car play can take up to two minutes to connect (mysynch update needed?).

I didn't break in the motor as aggressively as I did the first time, still haven't redlined the motor, but I now have approximately 1300 miles on the replacement. It was a weird trip with the country poised to be shut down. Road side restaurants are all closed except for drive throughs. My hotel in Greenriver was fine, but everyone was super vigilant on cleaning, myself included. I bought food mostly at fuel stops, but things were really limited and again lots of hand washing going on by me and everyone else at every stop! Driving though Portland last night at 11pm the roads were completely empty, which was eerie. All restaurants, bars and night entertainment is shut down, so no traffic.

I received many compliments on all the stops- lots of compliments on the color! Here's the photo's from yesterday. Most are drive by shots as I only stopped for fuel for the most part:

Started out going the wrong way first thing while talking on the phone
- but I got a glimpse of what I missed driving in the dark through Moab area:
IMG_2413.jpeg

Didn't realize there was such a high pass on my route, 7500 feet. I started watching the thermometer as I drove higher and told myself I would just pull over and wait if the snow started to accumulate on the road. The weather forecast was for clear weather later in the afternoon. This picture was taken near the summit at the worst of it- temp was 28 luckily still clear pavement- JUST! The new tires are amazing in these conditions and never lost grip. (I have front Michelin 4SS and rear Conti Contact+). I drive in a lot of snow regularly but with our SUV and truck on winter tires, so I am used to these conditions, but still was very nervous. Again the tires were amazing for summer tires at these temps and conditions and got me down safely. Don't try this at home:
IMG_2415.jpeg

Down the summit- whew!
IMG_2416.jpeg

Well the car was a dirty mess after that and it was time to stretch my legs so around Provo I found a self wash. She came out nice! But wow she was really dirty. 90% of it came off with the sprayer (the ceramic coating helped):
IMG_2417.jpeg

Still 800+ miles to go! Not sure after the stop if I was going to make it home that night but pressed on and hit rain just near the Utah/Idaho border. So much for my clean car!
IMG_2419.jpeg

Nice to have 80 mph limits though! So I ripped through Idaho. Maybe I would make it home tonight! I crossed into Oregon around 7:00pm. This is the Wallowa's at Sunset in far eastern Oregon just near the Idaho border.
IMG_2423.jpeg

Last shot. Sorry for the poor picture- coming down to Pendleton at Dusk. Almost home (well 200 miles to go!):
IMG_2425.jpeg
Glad it worked out and you can enjoy your car!

Sponsored

Shogai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT
Fantastic news, Montoya! Congrats on the smooth trip this time around. Love the pictures along the way. Here's to many years of enjoying your sweet ride!

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Great news and now through all these trials you may find the memories sweet someday and a special bond with the green hornet “ R” ! I’m hoping that you send updates about future events and open track days at Portland international raceway. Maybe I’ll trailer over one weekend and enjoy some ass kickings on anything else that shows up that day . Remember hard braking and heel and toe down to second starting at the 350ft mark at the end of the 2300ft straightaway!

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This has been a great thread to follow. Glad to see you decided to keep the car and the swap went well. I admire how positive you’ve handled the entire situation.
Glad it worked out and you can enjoy your car!
Kudos to you and keeping your spirits especially everything else that is going on around the globe. Thanks for sharing and be well.

:like:

Fantastic news, Montoya! Congrats on the smooth trip this time around. Love the pictures along the way. Here's to many years of enjoying your sweet ride!
Thanks guys, wish it could have been a more leisurely drive like originally planned. But yes I am bonding with it and enjoying it!

Great news and now through all these trials you may find the memories sweet someday and a special bond with the green hornet “ R” ! I’m hoping that you send updates about future events and open track days at Portland international raceway. Maybe I’ll trailer over one weekend and enjoy some ass kickings on anything else that shows up that day . Remember hard braking and heel and toe down to second starting at the 350ft mark at the end of the 2300ft straightaway!
Haha, yes I’m very familiar with my home track but haven’t raced my street cars there in a while. Here’s one of the funnest races there last year:

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks that’s fun watching, my 2000 cobra R on very old tires the first time there was doing 1:33’s ! Good track

Sponsored

overdrive714

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT350, 2004 Toyota RAV4, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Glad to hear the shelby’s running well again, lovely photos and thanks for documenting this! Hoping the other folks don’t have to go through what we went though with our motors!! Cheers!

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Glad to see this good ending!

Please keep us updated on the remaining two issues and how they get sorted (brakes and carplay). Best of luck!

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I just read the last 6-7 pages.......what a story and it looks like it has a HAPPY ENDING.....I certainly hope so!!:fingerscrossed:

GOOD LUCK.......BE CAREFUL.....STAY SAFE & WELL!!:like::sunglasses:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Awesome news!!!
I'm glad you got your car back! Congrats and enjoy.
Sponsored