2019 GT350 Engine Failure @ 2170 miles

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Make sure the cats are replaced before you pick it up, they could have coolant, oil, and metal bits that could affect your active exhaust.

Also make sure the oil cooler and lines were replaced, not just “flushed” so no contaminants get in the new motor.
Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Have all engine failures for past years been on passenger side?
If yes, maybe they found the smoking gun.
If no, there are other issues still open which need resolution.

Still the best damn sounding mustang Ford will EVER produce, by far! This thing is truly intoxicating to listen to and drive.
They need to get the flat plane back into some other year.
Some have been driver’s side, cylinder 8

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Make sure the cats are replaced before you pick it up, they could have coolant, oil, and metal bits that could affect your active exhaust.

Also make sure the oil cooler and lines were replaced, not just “flushed” so no contaminants get in the new motor.
Service advisor confirmed that the cats have been replaced. Apparently Ford initially asked them to not replace the cats but once they opened them up, they were soaked with coolant. Once they sent those photos to Ford, replacement was approved.

Anyhow, cats, oil cooler and lines. Anything else?

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Glad to hear you’re leaning towards keeping the car now.... that extra warranty is a nice value add.

I’d be inclined to pickup the car after the cats have been replaced. Since you’re currently in a loaner car, and there’s no guarantee they’ll have one for you at a later date, I’d tell them that you’ll pick it up once ALL repairs are complete.

Sounds like things are finally moving in the right direction. I agree with others, if they don’t offer you the 100k mile warranty initially, push back and say that you need to 100k warranty for you to be happy with the whole calamity of engine replacement and to restore your confidence in the voodoo. Be adamant that if you don’t get it, you’ll have to proceed with buyback. Just remember, as much as you don’t want to go through a buyback... they really don’t want to do a buyback either. It’s much easier for the CSR to add an extended warranty than for them to work the logistics of a buyback and all that it entails.

Keep us posted!
Yeah, it's a truly amazing car. They already replaced the cats, and told me that the car is good to go.

About the warranty, yes that is what I want as well. A powertrain warranty (8y/100k) would be great. The CSR is supposed to call me back today about this. I will keep you posted on how that goes.

Thanks for your input :)

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Have all engine failures for past years been on passenger side?
If yes, maybe they found the smoking gun.
If no, there are other issues still open which need resolution.

Still the best damn sounding mustang Ford will EVER produce, by far! This thing is truly intoxicating to listen to and drive.
They need to get the flat plane back into some other year.
I agree! Nothing I have driven comes close to the voodoo in terms of sound and character.

My failed valve was on the passenger side. Cylinder number 7 ate it up.

Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@Blwnsmoke makes perfect sense. I totally agree. super-valuable advice.

A 100k mile warranty would be great. I heard of someone on this forum getting a 120k mile warranty as well! Anyways, I am more concerned about the duration of the warranty. I am going to push for 8 years, or as many years as they can offer me.

Does it need to have another issue for it to be eligible for lemon law (Such as a faulty switch)? Can I pursue LL or Buyback if I’m not satisfied with their warranty offer?

About the full engine swap - Isn’t that a major repair as well? I’m not very knowledgeable on how engines are mounted, but I was just concerned if they installed and put the engine in place properly, and connected all the hoses and connections properly as well.
So Ford ESP's are 60k, 75k, 100k, 125k and 150k. Then you have the 4 different levels of plans going from just the powertrain all the way up to the Premium that covers just about everything on the vehicle.

I don't consider the engine a major repair when it is being replaced as a whole. It's being unbolted and the new one is going in. Yes you have the radiator, alternator etc but it's not like the hundred of parts in a tear down that have to be removed, reinstalled and hopefully all torqued to spec etc.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
So Ford ESP's are 60k, 75k, 100k, 125k and 150k. Then you have the 4 different levels of plans going from just the powertrain all the way up to the Premium that covers just about everything on the vehicle.

I don't consider the engine a major repair when it is being replaced as a whole. It's being unbolted and the new one is going in. Yes you have the radiator, alternator etc but it's not like the hundred of parts in a tear down that have to be removed, reinstalled and hopefully all torqued to spec etc.
Engine swap not a major repair? Mmm-kay.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Correct, it's a replacement, not a repair. There is no tear down and rebuild. YMMV

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; This does not happen too often but I do agree with CJJon's skepticism here. I have rebuilt engines and replaced engines. A rebuild is the greater sort of major repair for sure, but an engine replacement is still a major repair in itself.
I see the value in having a factory crate engine installed over a rebuild for sure. No question there. The install is simpler but not a piece of cake.

The OP ought to check out everything once he takes possession of the car. Check the function of everything on the car. I would be crawling around under the car with a good light myself looking at connections and everything in general. Odds are the techs did a good job but I would check to be satisfied.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
Whoa, crap! This has the potential to be huge. Like I mentioned before, my engine went kaput because of the valve issue too.

Although Ford says only 2020s are affected, mine is an early 2019 car and it still had the issue. No idea what is going on.

Either way I will be sure to check the new engine.

From what I saw, the replacement motor was built in February 3, 2021, meaning it was built before my engine blew.
My original 350 was built in June of 2019, and it locked up at low mileage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Hey Everyone - quick question. I've been on the phone for over an hour now with 2 CSRs and I still haven't gotten a straight answer to my question. This is seriously annoying now.

Does anyone know if the Ford Extended Warranties are valid in Canada? If my engine blows up or anything else goes wrong after I move, will a Canadian dealer honor it?

@pilotgore @stanglife @Cobra Jet @mroad @Blwnsmoke @RPDBlueMoon any idea? If anyone knows, or has successfully claimed warranty on either side of the border, please chime in.

Thank you so much.

Kramerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey Everyone - quick question. I've been on the phone for over an hour now with 2 CSRs and I still haven't gotten a straight answer to my question. This is seriously annoying now.

Does anyone know if the Ford Extended Warranties are valid in Canada? If my engine blows up or anything else goes wrong after I move, will a Canadian dealer honor it?

@pilotgore @stanglife @Cobra Jet @mroad @Blwnsmoke @RPDBlueMoon any idea? If anyone knows, or has successfully claimed warranty on either side of the border, please chime in.

Thank you so much.
Yes, Ford ESP warranties are valid at all Ford and Lincoln dealerships within Canada, US, and Mexico.

Also via the Zeigler Ford website ESP FAQ section:

1619643347331.png

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Yeah, it's a truly amazing car. They already replaced the cats, and told me that the car is good to go.

About the warranty, yes that is what I want as well. A powertrain warranty (8y/100k) would be great. The CSR is supposed to call me back today about this. I will keep you posted on how that goes.

Thanks for your input :)
Good to see you kept your car and wish you the best of luck with it! Make sure you check the secondary tensioner per the TSB.

I had a 2010 GT500 (Kona Blue / Silver Stripes) some family issues forced me to sell it. About two weeks later, things turned out to be OK and I immediately tried to buy my car back and it sold the day before I came back to buy it (check in hand!) From that day, I've been fortunate to have a lot of nice cars however, nothing really truly made me as happy as the Shelby.

Years later...I end up back in a Shelby and cannot be happier! While I know there are "some" cars that are faster/better, in the end it's all about what puts a smile on your face.

I've driven the GT350 and came close to buying a Kona Blue / White Stripe however, the dealer would not work on the numbers. Oddly enough, the dealership where I bought my current GT500 had a White/Blue Stripe 2019 GT350 and it sold as I was on my way there to look at it. Funny how things work out. I would say if I did not end up in my GT500, the GT350 would have ended up in my garage at some point.

Moral of the story...there's something special in the Shelby, it's hard to describe but it drives with a character that is hard to find in other cars.

Congrats and good luck!
Sponsored