Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
@mavisky - don't forget to buy a thin wrench for the outboard adjustment on these SPC arms - I can almost guarantee that the alignment place you're using doesn't have one that fits.
SPC sells one, I bought one off Amazon, Stanley Proto I think.

Edit : Proto Stanley J3548 Thin Pattern Service Wrench 1-1/2" https://a.co/d/1vDUluL

(Bending or cutting handle in half of this wrench would make things easier)

Also - if someone wants brand new, unused AAD camber arms (only with some scratches from my attempt to use them) for lets say $240 OBO, let me know. They're in my basement and I don't think I'll use them.
(Offer only for someone autocrossing).
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A question for the much more highly skilled drivers on this thread. I am working through some electrical issues. Got to the event today, and power steering decided to stop doing power steering things. It's a sensor issue, and I am taking the car in this week to sort out the plethora of issues that have creeped up on this car (Thank God none of them are the motor though!).

However, the rest of the car worked (with the dyno plug pulled), so I ran the event anyways. This was my first event with 350 lbs springs up front. Well it was a totally different car. Coming into corners, without the power steering, I could actually "feel" when the car was ready to turn the corner. I could force the wheel to turn, and would push, or wait a second, and the car would turn just like I had power steering. Nearly fingertip steering. And if I slowed too much before turn in, very heavy steering. It was fantastic. I crushed a Corvette on scratch time by 3/10's who usually has a half second on me. And was sub 2 seconds off Andre in his Viper.

So my question is, anyone with a magride car, have you run the car without power steering? Does it cause any other issues with the rest of the electrics on the car?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Never tried it without powersteering at all but I always run mine in normal steering effort rather than comfort or sport. Everything else seems overly assisted by being falsely light or falsely heavy.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Apparently I am the only one to try no PS HAHAHA...anyways, I am replacing thrust washers and axle nut this weekend. I was able to turn the drivers side rear axle nut a good quarter turn without a breaker bar. I marked the nut, axle shaft, and hub just to see if the nut moved after the last event. I don't suspect it is loosening itself, and there are numerous threads between TMO and here that discuss the thrust washer issue being the cause of not only the nut not being tight, but also all the electronics issues I've been having.

Wheel bears feel very solid too. Once I get this electronics crap sorted, onto researching splitters and wings!

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Did you feel increasing front spring rate increased understeer? I've been preaching it doesn't for 3 years and everyone (rightfully so) is a bit skeptical. I'd just like to hear what you found.

I'm curious how much of what you felt was the steering and how much was the spring. I guess we'll find out later.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It didn't increase understeer. I would argue it helped the understeer as I exit corners. I can get back to the accelerator earlier. The car is more balanced all around.

I am going to give the 350's a couple events, but since it helped the car in every measure, I may jump to 400's or potentially 450's (Which is why the questions for @kz). @NightmareMoon has said the car really loves 500, so I may end up with R dampers once I solve the f$&king magride/ABS issues.

I think I solved the power steering issue last night. Testing occurs tonight.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I don't think I've had enough time on them yet (half of last event was in a pouring rain) but at least initially it doesn't feel like front grip is reduced at all. Weight transfer is much quicker (obviously) but level grip is at least the same.
It also doesn't feel like the dampers have any trouble handling that rate.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Everything you guys are saying is the same experience I had.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have front Ford performance one (from Magneride handling kit - it's massive) and rear is the soft steeda competition one at mid setting (which afair is slightly less stiff than stock PP bar) with their relocation mounts.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Also, reviewing my Saturday video from Charlotte - I was sitting in second behind Ward (and Sunday was rainmageddon) but made two massive mistakes - probably not enough to be ahead of him but worth quite a bit - so the car is fast with stiff springs, the driver sucks.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did you feel increasing front spring rate increased understeer? I've been preaching it doesn't for 3 years and everyone (rightfully so) is a bit skeptical. I'd just like to hear what you found.
i swapped cars with a friend's S550 a while back with the same coilovers as mine but less front spring and it did grip on the softer front better on a low grip site, which is what inspired me to try dropping the spring rate a bit on my own setup. my stiffer 650# front springs would skitter in sweepers sometimes

So I recently bit the bullet and dropped from 650 to 500 and grip is solid at the "lower" rate of 500, but I also increased camber when I went down in rate, so its not a perfect A/B test. I may go back up a bit.

What sway bars are you guys running with these much higher rates?
BMR front bar on soft (I think) and a discontinued Strano rear bar on it's medium setting (its a stock diameter but solid bar)