Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Dr.Patterson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patterson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have the FP tune and absolutely love the increased throttle response and smoother shifting but it’s time for more. I’m looking at buying the Kooks catted long tube headers. I know catless headers would require a new tune but would catted headers also require a new tune? I’m hesitant to get a new tune because I really love how the car drives now.
Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I have the FP tune and absolutely love the increased throttle response and smoother shifting but it’s time for more. I’m looking at buying the Kooks catted long tube headers. I know catless headers would require a new tune but would catted headers also require a new tune? I’m hesitant to get a new tune because I really love how the car drives now.
Same for me.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I am sure totally sure if its required. But I know usually with headers you tune for more power and remove the check engine light you will get from the new catted/catless cats. But apparently tuners no longer will remove the check engine light.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
How did the gear install go?

Hey Dan, the install of the gears was uneventful. The installer messed up the ProCal adjustment to the 4.09 by hitting the wrong button and try to reinstall the performance calibration without a trickle charger causing a spike bricking the ECU. A Ford rep had to come out with a laptop and Ford Software to re-flash the ECU back to stock then reinstall the Ford Performance calibration. Its all done and running perfect. I will post up some thoughts later today as I really haven't had a chance to really drive the car. Part of the problem is this whole shop was at an F1 race and I lost a whole week and it took the Ford Rep 5 days to get out there with a laptop to re-flash the ECU back to stock. What at most should have been a couple of day job turned to over 2 weeks.

To be honest they never deal with the Archaic Ford ProCal mainly HPTuners and XCT. The install itself is completely without any noise from the gears and very good install.

I will post up driving impressions later today.

Sponsored

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ouch.
The procal is a scary device. I've seen "flash failed" twice now with it.
Were you able to finally change the gear ratio with it?

Glad to hear the hardware part was a success though, and can't wait to hear your impressions.

I had the gears in my '07 done and it was awesome.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ouch.
The procal is a scary device. I've seen "flash failed" twice now with it.
Were you able to finally change the gear ratio with it?

Glad to hear the hardware part was a success though, and can't wait to hear your impressions.

I had the gears in my '07 done and it was awesome.

Yes all set up for the 4.09. Such an easy thing to do, I can't believe it got mucked up the way it did

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm assuming the Ford Performance Tune isn't for the 2022-2023 model year is it?

Supposedly they are working on it, initially they weren't going to do it. I read elsewhere in this thread they are going to release one for the 2022-2023 models.

Sponsored

MISFITGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
23 GT Premium
Supposedly they are working on it, initially they weren't going to do it. I read elsewhere in this thread they are going to release one for the 2022-2023 models.
If you see anything (/are paying more attention to it), could you @ me. I'd be very interested in this.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Some advice please. My engine just keeps getting more and more noisier and it's pissing me off. I'm going to be taking it in to get looked at. I installed the FP kit myself in April of 2021. I am leaning towards putting everything back to stock before taking it to the dealer. That way if they have to pull it apart, they will be dealing with stock parts and not screwing with my FP kit. What are my warranty implications? Do I have to go through FP or through Ford? There are 14,700km on the car.

In this video I am very gently and slowly pressing the accelerator from idle. There's a quick ratcheting type noise that abruptly stops after the RPMS increase, followed by an increase in some piston or valve rattle. The noise very repeatable. Engine is at normal operating temp. Oil pressure normal. You can see the RPM gauge at the end:

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Some advice please. My engine just keeps getting more and more noisier and it's pissing me off. I'm going to be taking it in to get looked at. I installed the FP kit myself in April of 2021. I am leaning towards putting everything back to stock before taking it to the dealer. That way if they have to pull it apart, they will be dealing with stock parts and not screwing with my FP kit. What are my warranty implications? Do I have to go through FP or through Ford? There are 14,700km on the car.

In this video I am very gently and slowly pressing the accelerator from idle. There's a quick ratcheting type noise that abruptly stops after the RPMS increase, followed by an increase in some piston or valve rattle. The noise very repeatable. Engine is at normal operating temp. Oil pressure normal. You can see the RPM gauge at the end:
I get the same exact noise. It's louder at different times. Just like you at idle you can hear it very well. I took it to 2 dealers and they say its normal and blame it on the normal tick noise. Ford just doesnt want to take responsibility for anything. It's why I never got an extended warranty. You dont have to put it back to stock if it was dealer installed. Your dealer should treat your car no different as the warranty works the same. If they blame it on something to do with the FP parts then I dont know if FP would come into play there, but the noise we hear I doubt has anything to do with the calibration.

Last edited:

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
I get the same exact noise at times. Just like you at idle you can hear it very well. I took it to 2 dealers and they say its normal and blame it on the normal tick noise. Ford just doesnt want to take responsibility for anything. It's why I never got an extended warranty. You dont have to put it back to stock if it was dealer installed. Your dealer should treat your car no different as the warranty works the same. If they blame it on something to do with the FP parts then I dont know if FP would come into play there, but the noise we hear I doubt has anything to do with the calibration.
I had the same noise and opted to go back to stock. A big waste of money.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had the same noise and opted to go back to stock. A big waste of money.
Did the noise go away when you switched back? Did you run into any issues with the brake aspirator hose fitting back when going back to the stock box since it had to be cut for the FP?
Sponsored