Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

GoldenWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Golden
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Holy Shit!!! I don't think it caused any damage but the incompetency is staggering.
Tell me about it.. I have to admit, I am a beginner in the mechanical world but shit like this makes me understand how some people don't allow others to touch their car.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Tell me about it.. I have to admit, I am a beginner in the mechanical world but shit like this makes me understand how some people don't allow others to touch their car.
Haha, doesn't take too long to figure it out 😉.

GoldenWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Golden
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My Mustang 5.0 is now a mean and angry beast!

I took a few weeks to get a good feel for the Calibration Pack and oh boy do I love it!!
It feels like my car has a much better throttle response with smoother shifts point.
This tune definitely changed the attitude of my car for the best, it now really feels like a real sport car..

Now looking at adding a JLT Catch Can 3.0, I was wondering if any of you were able to install it without an issue? It seems to be very tight with the new throttle body.. (Sorry if this topic has already been covered)

Thank for your help,

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I got bad gas from Costco and it wasn't from eating one of their hot-dogs. Don't use Costco gas if you have this tune.

Adding 94 octane from a better gas station has all but eliminated the audible pinging at 1500rpm. The KnkSen1 and 2 counts are the raw data from the knock sensors. I did some data logs and it looks better now.

I took a few weeks to get a good feel for the Calibration Pack and oh boy do I love it!!
It feels like my car has a much better throttle response with smoother shifts point.
This tune definitely changed the attitude of my car for the best, it now really feels like a real sport car..

Now looking at adding a JLT Catch Can 3.0, I was wondering if any of you were able to install it without an issue? It seems to be very tight with the new throttle body.. (Sorry if this topic has already been covered)

Thank for your help,
I wish mine shifted like those who mention. lol

For the catch can some say reversing the hoses works. I swaped mine out with a UPR plug and play which works great with it.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1

Thank for your help,
I use Steeda’s catch can and there were no issues installing it.

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I filled the tank with Costco 91 gas back a few months ago. Ever since I have been hearing knock or pinging around 1500rpm and a little higher. I ran the tank down to 1/2 and filled it with Petro Canada 94 (10% ethanol) the knock was still there. I repeated that again tonight. Down half a tank so I added more of the good 94. I couldn't hear the knock but I had my Procal4 connected and did some data logging. My car still has a very pronounced diesel noise at idle that Ford says is "normal". Now I'm not sure what to make of this... the knock sensors are going crazy. This video I recorded after a long drive on 94 octane. Pulled into my driveway and revved it a few times:

I have a data log in the Procal4 and it shows the knock sensors hitting counts of up to 125 at a few points. Sitting at idle hitting 17 or so. Yet, I can't make out any knocking while I was driving. Timing is all over the place too from 30 to -11. This can't be right, right? False knock? Anyone care to connect the Procal and look at their knock sensor gauges for me?

I will have to make a graph with excel. Procal on the PC would not show a graph.
After reading this post a few weeks back, I plugged in my ProCal4 and started watching. '21 GT PP1 manual no engine mods. I see the knock sensor count readings moving around (I almost think these are measured in frequency???) and watching the KnockAdder it is almost always in the negative numbers when throttle tip in and partial throttle (no knock, timing advance?) Even in these negative numbers the knock sensor count readings are still moving up and down. So this makes me think we are seeing the frequency and at a certain range that is the actual knock. I forgot you could datalog with the procal, so I may log and see if I can see any knock and what sensor count that is at.

I did see a very quick and momentary positive knock adder on throttle tip in going up a hill, only for a second though.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
After reading this post a few weeks back, I plugged in my ProCal4 and started watching. '21 GT PP1 manual no engine mods. I see the knock sensor count readings moving around (I almost think these are measured in frequency???) and watching the KnockAdder it is almost always in the negative numbers when throttle tip in and partial throttle (no knock, timing advance?) Even in these negative numbers the knock sensor count readings are still moving up and down. So this makes me think we are seeing the frequency and at a certain range that is the actual knock. I forgot you could datalog with the procal, so I may log and see if I can see any knock and what sensor count that is at.

I did see a very quick and momentary positive knock adder on throttle tip in going up a hill, only for a second though.
After my bad fill-up experience with Costco 91, I was hearing it ping very briefly under load. That's when I filled the tank from half to full with Petro 94. I then thought to start using the Procal4 gauges/data logging. Without having any experience in this sort of thing in my life, I was confused and concerned to see knock counts so high. I could not find any info on what normal counts should be. My car had stopped audibly pinging by this point but I was still curious. So, I tried the data log feature and this is what I got:
Mustang Log3 Sep 23 AM.PNG

When looking at the way the data is interpreted from the knock counter, it would appear to me that this is raw knock sensor data and is not actually knock. You mentioned something called "KnockAdder". I may try and log that in the next few weeks before the car goes away for the winter.

For comparison here is a data log using the Procal4 from my 2014 Fusion. You can see the knock counts are much higher. Like 10x. This car has nearly 270,000kms on the engine. Never any sign of knock.
Fusion WOT 1a.PNG

What I would like to know is how TimingAdv works. There doesn't seem to be a relationship to KnkSen1_Cnts and Spark2 is practically the same as the TimingAdv plot. When letting off the gas, TimingAdv goes all over the place.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
After my bad fill-up experience with Costco 91, I was hearing it ping very briefly under load. That's when I filled the tank from half to full with Petro 94. I then thought to start using the Procal4 gauges/data logging. Without having any experience in this sort of thing in my life, I was confused and concerned to see knock counts so high. I could not find any info on what normal counts should be. So, I tried the data log feature and this is what I got:

When looking at the way the data is interpreted from the knock counter, it would appear to me that this is raw knock sensor data and is not actually knock. You mentioned something called "KnockAdder". I may try and log that in the next few weeks before the car goes away for the winter.

For comparison here is a data log using the Procal4 from my 2014 Fusion. You can see the knock counts are much higher. Like 10x. This car has nearly 270,000kms on the engine. Never any sign of knock.
Fusion WOT 1a.PNG

What I would like to know is how TimingAdv works. There doesn't seem to be a relationship to KnkSen1_Cnts and Spark2 is practically the same as the TimingAdv plot. When letting off the gas, TimingAdv goes all over the place.
My understanding is that "knkadder" when showing negative is adding timing and when positive is taking away timing. It seems the negative number is the actual timing advance, yet the positive number is what is being taken away from the base timing advance (knock... and that means you don't end up actually seeing the actual timing number). This is what I'm trying to determine now.

Lrnd_Knk_Mod and Oct_Adjust never seem to move from 0.

Much like you, I am curious - ultimately - if the 93/94 octane is worth it or just 91 and suffer a small amount of tip in knock (if any).

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
After my bad fill-up experience with Costco 91, I was hearing it ping very briefly under load. That's when I filled the tank from half to full with Petro 94. I then thought to start using the Procal4 gauges/data logging. Without having any experience in this sort of thing in my life, I was confused and concerned to see knock counts so high. I could not find any info on what normal counts should be. My car had stopped audibly pinging by this point but I was still curious. So, I tried the data log feature and this is what I got:

Fusion WOT 1a.PNG

I'm still relatively green about this but, to my understanding, timing advance going all over the place is normal. Timing advance will constantly change based on throttle position and engine speed, among many variables.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Getting my 4.09 gears installed on Monday guys. I can't wait to see what they feel like with this kit.

Sponsored

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Getting my 4.09 gears installed on Monday guys. I can't wait to see what they feel like with this kit.
That's awesome!
I can't wait for your review.

I have an e85 tune waiting for me to run the tank low enough to make the switch.

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Well?? What does it feel like!!??

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red