Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another vid I saw said that the gen 2 is replacing the old gen now. So if you order one you will get a gen2. Give em a call to confirm of course though
For some reason I didn’t even see the gen 1 on the site either. Maybe they are updating the site.

Shelbyshakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called MGW this morning and placed an order for a Gen 2 shifter ; eta is 2-4 weeks for first batch orders .

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Same here. This afternoon I think they’d taken orders for about half of the first batch. News is out.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I am VERY satisfied with my Gen 1 MGW. Curious to hear from people with the new one about how different/better it is.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I am VERY satisfied with my Gen 1 MGW. Curious to hear from people with the new one about how different/better it is.
Considering the gen 1 unit is a masterpiece of execution I have to think that there were tweaks made to improve overall but thinking they are incremental and the greatest need for change was to ensure compatibility with the Mach. 1 but this is just speculation

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
I believe MSRP is 469 and they're quoting shipping at $19. I think Gen 1 was 485 or 490 less s&h?

Based on the marketing we've got, Gen 1 was a 15% reduction in throw over stock.. MGW is reporting the Gen 2 as a 5% improvement in throw reduction over the original (20% reduction over stock). Beyond that, they mention a more direct movement (the exact terminology escapes me), an Improved reverse engagement (same push down style, but new machining allowed for less force and a different order to engagement). Speculation on my part, but it looks like it will be a little lighter as well.

Sponsored

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have to say, i have loved working on cars for years but the idea of laying under this thing in the driveway, having to drop the transmission and reach around that driveshaft for a few hours doesnt sound fun at all. It sounds like 1 or 2 hours labor for a shop to install, anyone else thinking of going this route?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
GTthree50 said:
Considering the gen 1 unit is a masterpiece of execution I have to think that there were tweaks made to improve overall but thinking they are incremental and the greatest need for change was to ensure compatibility with the Mach. 1 but this is just speculation
GEN2 is a different design, borrowing internally from the GEN2 GT500 shifter MGW makes. The GEN2 no longer utilizes a dual pivot.

2JZFAN said:
Based on the marketing we've got, Gen 1 was a 15% reduction in throw over stock.. MGW is reporting the Gen 2 as a 5% improvement in throw reduction over the original (20% reduction over stock). Beyond that, they mention a more direct movement (the exact terminology escapes me), an Improved reverse engagement (same push down style, but new machining allowed for less force and a different order to engagement). Speculation on my part, but it looks like it will be a little lighter as well.
I'm cautious to categorize any increase/decrease in throw percentage as an improvement other than if a given change was done to minimize what can become a somewhat "notchy" shifter. George was able to add the additional 5% without running into that issue, you are correct.

The new shifter could be called more direct as the mechanism is somewhat simplified via the number of internal parts. So there is less hardware involved in order to execute output shaft rotation.

Reverse engagement is definitely improved in terms of ease of use.

Regarding weight...I'll have ask George about that. There should be a reduction but I'm willing to guess that it is minimal.

Saxgod said:
i have to say, i have loved working on cars for years but the idea of laying under this thing in the driveway, having to drop the transmission and reach around that driveshaft for a few hours doesnt sound fun at all. It sounds like 1 or 2 hours labor for a shop to install, anyone else thinking of going this route?
To be clear and to minimize any confusion, the transmission does not get removed from the car for the install. That's what "dropping" means to many out there. You are merely lowing the rear of the transmission a small amount to allow more room for your hands and arms to reach around to the top of the transmission. You never have to reach around the driveshaft for anything. I've done a number of shifter installs and its quite comfortable to lay on your back and install a shifter.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Second this - I installed one on my 16 on jack stands and it wasn't abnormally difficult.

Edited to say: In fact, it's one of those projects that is pretty rewarding and easy enough. If you can turn a wrench at all, I wouldn't subject my car to a shop environment vs doing it myself.

Last edited:

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Second this - I installed one on my 16 on jack stands and it wasn't abnormally difficult.

Edited to say: In fact, it's one of those projects that is pretty rewarding and easy enough. If you can turn a wrench at all, I wouldn't subject my car to a shop environment vs doing it myself.
How long did it take (round about)?