Sponsored

BBQ Tick Question

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That is the perfect oil for these cars. Ford has even changed to recommend 5w50
Ford has not ever recommended 5W-50 for the Coyote. Look at any 2015+ Coyote owner's manual or service manual. The only time 5W-50 is recommend is when Roush puts a supercharger on a Coyote.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Ford has not ever recommended 5W-50 for the Coyote. Look at any 2015+ Coyote owner's manual or service manual. The only time 5W-50 is recommend is when Roush puts a supercharger on a Coyote.
Not correct. They recommend it for track use. It is in the manual.

It certainly will not hurt the engine.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not correct. They recommend it for track use. It is in the manual.

It certainly will not hurt the engine.
Which year(s), and which manual?

I know for a fact that the 2015 OM or SM says anything about using 5W-50 for track use. The 2018+ OM says to use 5W-30 for track use. And the 2015 OM says absolutely nothing about using any heavier oil for track use.

Yes, it won't hurt to use 5W-50, but that wasn't my point.

Snip-it from the 2018 Owner's Manual:

2018 Mustang Owners Manual - Track Use Oil.JPG

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Which year(s), and which manual?

I know for a fact that the 2015 OM or SM says anything about using 5W-50 for track use. The 2018+ OM says to use 5W-30 for track use. And the 2015 OM says absolutely nothing about using any heavier oil for track use.

Yes, it won't hurt to use 5W-50, but that wasn't my point.

Snip-it from the 2018 Owner's Manual:

2018 Mustang Owners Manual - Track Use Oil.JPG
Just checked my manual (2020 MY) and you are correct. It was the Ecoboost where I remember seeing the track use of 5/50. Nothing worse than being half-correct!

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
THE BBQ TICK HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE PISTON SLAP. Caused by bearings breaking in. The material from break in gets between the pistons and the cylinder causing wear. Most of the time this is on cars serviced outside of Ford because of filter bypass valves design. Ford filters have been known to have issues also but not as likely.
You must be talking about something else like more than just bearings breaking in. Ether way I would bore scope the engine. Bore scopes are $20 on eBay and work just fine
Provide sources for your info. This forum investigated the issue for years and the source is not known. Ford does not provide any info on the source of the sound in TSB either.

P.S. I remember theories similar to yours, but not quite the same though.

P.P.S. The theory is interesting, but a lot of people get bbq tick well beyond break in mileage.

The most common trigger is the oil change, although some (myself included) get it from factory.

I witneseed engine with brand new short block ticking upon first engine start after oul change.

My personal theory is that the oil change causes oil starvation enough to damage some part(s) that cause the tick. The way to alleviate that is to have oil additives that protect engine parts when no oil is present such as mos2 in the oil well _before the oil change.

Also some oils like castrol magnatec that advertise similar properties. Indirectly confirmed by bbq tick phenomenon being not much known in Europe where magnatec is used by dealerships per forum member info.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes, it won't hurt to use 5W-50
In the long run, I think it'd hurt the engine on a street car, expected to last 100K+ miles. That's why Ford doesn't even mention it. It's way too thick for proper lubrication, with the possible exception of a track car. Thick oil is not the solution for a noisy engine. I'd go as far as x/30, which is what I use (M1 0/30), but to each his own :).

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the long run, I think it'd hurt the engine on a street car, expected to last 100K+ miles. That's why Ford doesn't even mention it. It's way too thick for proper lubrication, with the possible exception of a track car. Thick oil is not the solution for a noisy engine. I'd go as far as x/30, which is what I use (M1 0/30), but to each his own :).
The viscosity difference between 5W-30 and 5W-50 at 200+ F isn't really enough to cause issues with lubrication. But it is enough viscosity difference to ensure the oil film thickness between moving parts is larger, which helps protect parts from contacting and wearing when really pushing the engine.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have no dog in this fight, but I never buy the piston slap theory. My old 5.4 2v F150 had piston slap, very rhythmic knocking at idle when cold. Almost like a diesel. My current 2011 5.0 F150 has piston slap when warming up. Same deal, rhythmic knocking at idle only. Apparently there were some blocks with an oblong cylinder issue causing the piston slap. Once the engine is warmed up at operating temp it’s silent.

I’ve never heard piston slap sound like random sharp ticks like the BBQ tick does.

Here is a video of my 2011 coyote truck 5 years and 50k miles ago warming up on a cold winter day. Truck still runs great and doesn’t use any oil. This is piston slap:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yep, mine is a random "tink".

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
J17GT, My 2002 6.8 V10 makes the same noise when it is cold. Worse in the winter but goes away pretty quick. Has done this for years.

I put 1 can of Ceratec in my Mustang GT during an oil change and the random tick was gone immediately. Also used it in our 2013 Honda Accord and it quieted down the cam phaser noise it makes at start up.
Sponsored