Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I was one of the ones that had some knocking from my passenger rear mount. Apparently there was a bad batch of spherical bearings and most of the issues happened during a certain production lot. To their credit, Steeda immediately shipped out a replacement mount and sent me a label to return the original. Can't ask for better customer service than that.
Can you elaborate on the noise yours was making?

I'm chasing my tail trying to find an incredibly irritating rattle/clunk coming from the driver's rear side, and it's either something with the decklid or maybe one of my Steeda shock mounts. I've adjusted about everything I possibly can on the decklid and have it fitting and latching better than ever, but the noise persists.....
Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase

I'm chasing my tail trying to find an incredibly irritating rattle/clunk coming from the driver's rear side, and it's either something with the decklid or maybe one of my Steeda shock mounts. I've adjusted about everything I possibly can on the decklid and have it fitting and latching better than ever, but the noise persists.....
It sounds like a bad endlink, but it’s side dependent as opposed to the endlink which knocks regardless of what wheel goes over the bump.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

It's probably the mounts, particularly if you have the original design.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's probably the mounts, particularly if you have the original design.
What's the difference? Can the originals be distinguished from a subsequent design by appearance?

I don't recall when I even put them on the car, to be honest. Had to have been 2-3 years ago, although my car only has ~9,000 miles....

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I too would like to know about the different designs. I have a pair that I picked up off a guy for a pretty good price. Haven't installed them yet.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Also, how many miles on the shocks? Shocks don't last forever either.

I was convinced I had a bad shock mount, or a loose body panel or something, and I think the spherical did have a little play in it, but after reinstalling factory mounts, it because clear that the clunk was the shock itself, not the mount. New Koni and its as quiet back there as it should be.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
There's only 9,000 total miles on the car...

Play in the spherical bearing could be it, it's that kind of noise. Fantastic....I need to pull the driver's rear wheel and take a closer look at that shock and mount.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
What's the difference? Can the originals be distinguished from a subsequent design by appearance?

I don't recall when I even put them on the car, to be honest. Had to have been 2-3 years ago, although my car only has ~9,000 miles....
They changed it so it's just a spacer and regular nut rather than a specially machined spacer nut piece. It's a more robust design.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
They changed it so it's just a spacer and regular nut rather than a specially machined spacer nut piece. It's a more robust design.
If I remember right, mine had a spacer (or thick washer) that dropped over the shock shaft that rests against the bottom of the spherical bearing, and a stepped spacer with a shank that goes into the spherical bearing from the top with a separate nut.

I think....

Regardless, I should be able to see if it's play in the spherical bearing easily enough by pulling the wheel and lower shock mount bolts and seeing if it has vertical play.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Swap the shocks/mounts side to side, it's a 30 min job and time well spent to find out. If there's still a noise, swap the mounts and see if the noise follows then you'll know if it's shock or mount. 2/3 years ago is probably in the zone for the old version. If so just let Steeda know they're exceptional when it comes to replacing them.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Hello Dave,

Please send me your contact info along with your order number & I will get this addressed with our tech team.

Thank you for your help - you can email me at [email protected]

Have a great night.

TJ

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Swap the shocks/mounts side to side, it's a 30 min job and time well spent to find out. If there's still a noise, swap the mounts and see if the noise follows then you'll know if it's shock or mount. 2/3 years ago is probably in the zone for the old version. If so just let Steeda know they're exceptional when it comes to replacing them.
I wish I'd thought of that. Great test for narrowing a noise down to the shock or mount, versus the rest of the car. It also works for sorting out driver problems.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
It's less that than the bolts/mount surface being perpendicular to the shock axis, thus putting the entirely mount joint in bending.

if the forces were *perfectly* parallel to the sheet-metal and the clamped area was big enough, the problem would be significantly reduced. But not only is the mounting surface not remotely 'flat' on the sheet-metal side, the articulating shock is thru the bolt acting on the nut rotating inward and outward trying to tear the metal across it's thickness. The metal is already brittle by nature and the focused edge of the nut flange is like a chisel. It's bloody obvious this was a STUPID design.

Thanks for the info...
Love to learn new things.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
@tj@steeda, I sent you an email.

I had enough time last night to pull the driver side rear wheel and removed the bottom shock bolts. The shock is tough to compress much, but from what I could tell there didn't seem to be much of any movement in the bearing. In hindsight, I should have pulled the top bolts too and removed the shock and the mount as a unit and it would have been easier to determine an issue. Duh, it was too late last night, brain no worky.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the mounts I have in case it would help anyone else as well:

IMG_20200824_191143.jpg
IMG_20200824_191159.jpg

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
@Strokerswild looks like there is bulge on the bottom weld of the front bolt hole just like mine. Maybe its the camera angle. Right at the edge of the mount below the bolt.

Pull the mount off and feel. Wire wheel cleans up the roads grime and paint for clear inspection.
Sponsored