OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Our 2017 GT started doing this about 6 months ago and got really bad within the last month. 54k miles, no codes and all stock except Magnaflow mufflers. New plugs, air filter and cleaning the throttle body didn't help. Actually seemed to make it worse. I have the factory CD manual and the list of things to check for this symptom is long, pretty much everything. I'm fortunate to have a mechanic two doors down from me who has an Autel and he suggested a throttle re-learn. We did that Wednesday. The very first drive home, 17 miles, was actually worse but Thursday morning it was fine. Has been ever since.

My question, I guess, is why would this not throw a code? With all the sophisticated engine management, I don't understand why it wouldn't know somethings wrong if it stalls out.
Mines been 100% since the VCT solenoids. My only codes were actually for the front o2 sensors on both sides, replacing them didnt fix the issue. I too wish the computer would identify this problem and throw a code for it but it never did for me, it was frustrating.
Sponsored

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Yeah, very frustrating. Ours stumbled just a bit on the way home from an evening out. Similar to a misfire for just a half second. Happened right after a stretch of 75mph interstate at the first complete stop. That's where it all started months ago.

The next thing my mechanic neighbor wants to try is hook up both an analog fuel pressure gauge and his Autel. Take it for a drive and monitor live data and the gauge simultaneously. He's thinking the computer may be reading something different than what's happening in real life, maybe causing a rich or lean mix. We'll see.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, very frustrating. Ours stumbled just a bit on the way home from an evening out. Similar to a misfire for just a half second. Happened right after a stretch of 75mph interstate at the first complete stop. That's where it all started months ago.

The next thing my mechanic neighbor wants to try is hook up both an analog fuel pressure gauge and his Autel. Take it for a drive and monitor live data and the gauge simultaneously. He's thinking the computer may be reading something different than what's happening in real life, maybe causing a rich or lean mix. We'll see.
heres the video I made about it if you are interested

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
My idle, rough start, misfire issues were caused by a vacuum leak, stock airbox had a small crack in it just enough to screw with the MAF. Replaced under warranty, all issues gone

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My idle, rough start, misfire issues were caused by a vacuum leak, stock airbox had a small crack in it just enough to screw with the MAF. Replaced under warranty, all issues gone
Interesting, where on the airbox was the crack?

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.

Mrpopper239

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had an issue with stumbling idle. Ended up being VCT solenoids.
img_0240-jpg.jpg

upload_2019-12-23_8-7-18.png
So I am going to replace my solenoids as well, but I’m wondering can I re use the valve cover gasket? Or do I just remove the valve cover and put it back on without it since it’s probably adhesived on

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I am going to replace my solenoids as well, but I’m wondering can I re use the valve cover gasket? Or do I just remove the valve cover and put it back on without it since it’s probably adhesived on
At the end of my video with the dealer print out, it looks like the dealer replaced both the gaskets, may as well put new ones in there while you are in there in my opinion since they are only 9$. JL3Z6584C and JL3Z6584D gaskets were replaced by my dealer on this fix.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I haven't caught the stumble/stall failure on datalogger yet, but have been able to use Forscan to data log VCT angle vs target behavior and its pretty ugly. The car seems to idle worse when the angles are lower.

Could someone with a "Good running car" plot VCT angles vs time and someone with a "bad running car" do the same for something like idling at a stoplight?

I looked at the service manual and to take off the valve covers of a 2018 5.0 looks ugly enough that I'd rather not do it for no reason.
VCT_Targets_Vs_Actual_20200415.png

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If it makes you feel any better my 2019 GT did this and my 2020 GT does it too. This "flutter" noise. Weird as it is it seems normal.

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
So I did more data logging yesterday and the car only misbehaved really once with a rough idle/near stall. As stupid as it is, it looks like that when the RPMs are winding down on the way to a traffic light the car goes into closed-loop idle control too soon, closes the throttle plate due to high engine RPM, and is surprised the car nearly stalls. VVT performance seems to play no part in my problem at least. If this was an older car I would adjust the throttle plate set screw to raise the minimum airflow. I'm going to take a peek at the throttle plate later today and see if I get any inspiration.
20200418_RPM_vs_Ignition_Advance.png
20200418_RPM_vs_Throttle_Position.png
20200418_RPM_vs_VVT.png

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
So the idle waveform and behavior definitely changed after cleaning the throttle body. Motor spends more time "over" the RPM target and less time under it struggling & shaking. TBD if random stall is really solved, but definitely a step in the right direction.
Idle side by side after throttle body cleaning.png

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
If it makes you feel any better my 2019 GT did this and my 2020 GT does it too. This "flutter" noise. Weird as it is it seems normal.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Actually my car at the dealer doing TSB 19-2140, they told me this is normal but I insisted to do it. Will receive the car tomorrow Saturday, will keep you updated, wish me luck :)

Regards

Fahad

Attachments