Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Yes!

My lowly V6 Mustang just beat a Tesla Model 3 from a dig! Now it was -10 degrees Celsius (on an Indian reservation - Mexico is too far) and probably low on juice as it now sits at a charging station outside this Starbucks where I am now.

Anyway I signaled and “turned into her lane safely” and she beeped her horn and I moved to the side so we were beside each other at the light. I looked over and it was this hot chick! Light runs green and we just stand there - then she hits it and gets ahead. But as we go along I start to accelerate past her... I’ve seen this at drag strips where the Tesla’s get off to a great start but run out of wind and then get caught or past.

So the cars can be beat.

I have no question this thing would have totally smoked me in warmer weather - But damn! Never saw that happening. I hung around Starbucks hoping she would show up and maybe start a conversation, but no such luck....

So I’m backpedaling on the infallibility of Tesla’s. They have an Achilles Heal and can be beat...
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Over 100 and most fast cars will catch or beat them. Notice you don't see them doing half mile events. At speed is where power > low end torque/traction.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Over 100 and most fast cars will catch or beat them. Notice you don't see them doing half mile events. At speed is where power > low end torque/traction.

Well this was a revelation! I’m going to have to rethink my stance on EV, especially when I did it in my car. Of course I had it floored, but I was curious and the acceleration was less than expected from what we see on YouTube. For best performance Tesla’s have to be fully charged and at a certain temperature. So a chance encounter means you have a chance!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That's where the electronic assisted engines come in. Get the good kick off the line and still maintain your NA engine grunt up top.

Was she flooring it too? I've only come across one guy that would even put his foot halfway down, the rest of them are all the responsible people getting their 400 miles per charge.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
That's where the electronic assisted engines come in. Get the good kick off the line and still maintain your NA engine grunt up top.

Was she flooring it too? I've only come across one guy that would even put his foot halfway down, the rest of them are all the responsible people getting their 400 miles per charge.

No she was flooring it (probably still pissed off at me for cutting her off, so she was motivated). We really got up there in speed. but no speed limits on the reservation. Give it a try. I always tell the V6 and Ecoboost guys never to take anything for granted - but secretly I figured I’d have my nose rubbed in it for even trying, but that didn’t happen. To be truthful both of us probably just really wanted to see how the two cars performed. She probably didn’t know l had a V6 so she thinks she was past by a V8. So yes, a V6 can beat a Tesla. -10 degrees but a win is a win boys! I took a look behaind me and we so left everyone in the street behind! On the reservation that is...

By the way: I was so smitten by the moxie of this women that I hung around this place then I walk over to those Tesla charging stations but she was gone. Just like that...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Meh...was a base RDW Model 3. 100-103 mph car in quarter means its a coin toss from a roll.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
So something very interesting happened poking around the net.

It seems there is not a whole lot of Tesla performance figures about 0-60 times in winter! I sort of feel like Neil Armstrong here as you only see these things in perfect summer conditions. There doesn’t seem to be any dry but fairly cold tests! Now I see why most got faster 0-60 times than the stated times. Because it varies due to charge percentage and outside temperature. -10 (at the time) has to negatively effect the acceleration of these cars. So it’s open season on these cars in the winter. The V6 has 12mph more top end but 4/10sec slower than Tesla 0-60 figure, so the cars do slow down in the cold. Battery life in the cold was a given but I believe I’m one of the first to start to quantify performance in cold weather. This is what I know:

Perfect conditions: 0-60 is 4.5 seconds.

Average conditions: 0-60 in 5.1 seconds.

Winter conditions: 0-60 in 5.7 seconds.

My real world experience endorses that outcome. So in Toronto all Mustangs are faster the the standard Model 3, 0-60, quarter mile, and top speed. No bottom feeder Model 3 for me anymore as the figures will be even worse with the smaller battery. Yes guys, Fats is getting a reality check about EVs.

It has come to this... :crying:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Thing to keep in mind guys is that current EVs do not have a transmission. They have a single gear ratio that is optimized for the intended operation (0-70 or thereabouts). This means that at speeds over 70 the electric motor begins to move outside of its efficiency range. Pair the Tesla motor with even a 2 speed auto trans and the issue of power drop off at high speed is more or less solved. The reason why EV manufactures do not do this (yet) is because of the added complexity for little intended usage benefit.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Racing a Tesla is not a rewarding experience. Close up the aero wheel covers look cheap. The body work looks cheap and basic. It actually looked like I was racing a golf cart in a way. I’m just being honest. What a jarring revelation! There is something to be said for spinning wheels and engine roar!

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yes!

My lowly V6 Mustang just beat a Tesla Model 3 from a dig! Now it was -10 degrees Celsius (on an Indian reservation - Mexico is too far) and probably low on juice as it now sits at a charging station outside this Starbucks where I am now.

Anyway I signaled and “turned into her lane safely” and she beeped her horn and I moved to the side so we were beside each other at the light. I looked over and it was this hot chick! Light runs green and we just stand there - then she hits it and gets ahead. But as we go along I start to accelerate past her... I’ve seen this at drag strips where the Tesla’s get off to a great start but run out of wind and then get caught or past.

So the cars can be beat.

I have no question this thing would have totally smoked me in warmer weather - But damn! Never saw that happening. I hung around Starbucks hoping she would show up and maybe start a conversation, but no such luck....

So I’m backpedaling on the infallibility of Tesla’s. They have an Achilles Heal and can be beat...
Made my day! Take that Tesla.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
You better win against the lower battery powered one because i smoked one up to speed limit of 55 mph with my wifes 2018 mazda 6 turbo! That mazda has 310 lbft of torque upgraded 235’s all around with K&N drop in filter running on 93 octane stock tune since day one. A V6 mustang should smoke a base battery powered model 3. The upgraded battery ones do go 3.5’s to 60 mph though. Watch out for those performance variants.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You better win against the lower battery powered one because i smoked one up to speed limit of 55 mph with my wifes 2018 mazda 6 turbo! That mazda has 310 lbft of torque upgraded 235’s all around with K&N drop in filter running on 93 octane stock tune since day one. A V6 mustang should smoke a base battery powered model 3. The upgraded battery ones do go 3.5’s to 60 mph though. Watch out for those performance variants.

Yup, as a matter of fact some mid-range Tesla owners are trading up to the Tesla Model 3 Performance after being “underwhelmed” by the acceleration. Part of it is the type of electric motor in the rear wheel drive models and he also hints that Tesla may be deliberately adding in more delay to differentiate models... Check out the video below why a Tesla Model 3 owner upgraded to the Tesla Model 3 Performance as he covers all bases and why anything under a Tesla Performance is a dog at the traffic lights. He also has the car in “fart mode” during the vid emanating fart noises during the video - but I digress...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This idiot in a Model 3 went flying away from the traffic light next to me the other day while I with the family, having a great time, the top down, didn't even notice his bland Model 3. So he pulls into the Target turn lane, which happen to be where we were headed, I pull in super close behind him and we all start pointing and laughing :D

Hahaha, so he pulls into the parking lot, parks way out, I park, head in - I'm in line at the service lane (ordered something online, so just picking up), I see the guy come in , looks like a douche, so I yell at him, "HEY!! TESLA GUY! YOU ARE AWESOME!" <thumbs up>

He left his friend/girl/wife in his car, so when we were leaving the parking lot, I pulled up behind the car and rev'd my car super loud, hahahaha, she looked freaked out :D
Sponsored