Sponsored

GT vs Tesla

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
The only thing it can't do is make noise. It can do anything and everything. Having the ability to drive me from pont A to point B with a click of a button is kind of neat. Full charge for 6 bucks, low 9s @ 150+, every creature comfort, adjustable suspension on the fly, kid watching movies on a screen in the back, handles decent, looks pretty good with the wider fenders, 350+ miles on full charge, can adjust the power the car has (3 settings), drag/launch mode and then you have all the gimmicky stuff. Car can drive to you when not in it, within certain distance, light show kind of cool, sentry mode, camp mode, dog mode. Goes on and on. Just missing sound.AWD.

Not for everyone...
But. But. But. No soul!!!!…..
Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
The no soul thing always makes me laugh… it reminds me of people saying the gtr was like driving a playstation, the car is a computer with wheels blah blah blah…

people used to say the same shit when the first cars started… everyone kept saying horses were better

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The only thing it can't do is make noise. It can do anything and everything. Having the ability to drive me from pont A to point B with a click of a button is kind of neat. Full charge for 6 bucks, low 9s @ 150+, every creature comfort, adjustable suspension on the fly, kid watching movies on a screen in the back, handles decent, looks pretty good with the wider fenders, 350+ miles on full charge, can adjust the power the car has (3 settings), drag/launch mode and then you have all the gimmicky stuff. Car can drive to you when not in it, within certain distance, light show kind of cool, sentry mode, camp mode, dog mode. Goes on and on. Just missing sound.AWD.

Not for everyone...
Yeah it makes me think of an old school Caddy. Big engine, luxurious vehicle. Expensive.

Definitely not for me.

The no soul thing always makes me laugh… it reminds me of people saying the gtr was like driving a playstation, the car is a computer with wheels blah blah blah…

people used to say the same shit when the first cars started… everyone kept saying horses were better
Please post a direct quote of someone from that time saying that horses have a soul but cars don't and so that's the reason they wanted to stick with their horse. I don't believe it's true. I'm sure if everyone was saying it you will be able to find a newspaper article. Please find some huge debates from the turn of the century around 1908 when the Model T came out about cars versus horses.

Even though I don't think an ICE equates to a soul, I do think that the noises an engine makes can be beautiful and fun to listen to. The induction noise from twin intakes on a flat six, for example. Most V12s. I remember a friend telling me the engine I built for one of the Fox bodies I owned sounded like an angry animal. I actually had a few different people tell me how good it sounded. Even just sitting and listening to the lumpy idle was awesome. I actually really miss that in modern engines. The Voodoo got thumbs up in traffic as well, even without the lumpy idle it sounded great under power.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No soul though. Quiet as a church mouse and it isn't a marvel of engineering like an ICE with a thousand moving parts all working together to produce power and acceleration. It's just a fast RC car you can sit in.
The soul is in the fact that it will literally prevent you from being able to breathe while its accelerating lol

the thing is as much of an American muscle car as anything before it. Dangerous, stupid, fast as hell and doesn't corner well at all.

Plus its severally underbraked, they just shoved as much motor into it as possible and did almost nothing to contain it lol

Also, saying its not a marvel of engineering is just wrong, there is a TON of engineering that goes into one of those things, the software is one thing. But that control system and the battery pack are seriously impressive things. They designed every part of that thing from scratch. Being able to precisely control seven hundred kilowatts of power, all solid state, reliably is no small task.

With all that said, regular model 3's are slow, and it is very fun to beat them. They're driven by non-enthusiasts who've been sold marketing that says "EV = fastest car in the world" and they get more than a little salty when proven wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I think the crux of this banter is that people don’t like silent EVs gapping their ICE rides. Simple as that. So they point to “it can’t turn”, “it can’t go WOT for miles”, “it will explode and kill your family”, “it doesn’t have a soul”, all while they never track their cars, never do races that are actually a mile, and drive an ICE vehicle that is likely to have killed more people due to manufacturing issues than EVs.
When you grow up with performance cars that make noises yea its a problem. For me the sound of a engine is very important and makes driving them on public roads more fun. When I am driving around at legal speeds on the public road the sound of the engine keeps me engaged and entertained.

Electric cars are only fun when you are "flooring" them around and breaking the law.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
When you grow up with performance cars that make noises yea its a problem. For me the sound of a engine is very important and makes driving them on public roads more fun. When I am driving around at legal speeds on the public road the sound of the engine keeps me engaged and entertained.

Electric cars are only fun when you are "flooring" them around and breaking the law.
The new EV challenger is slated to make noises that mimics an ICE vehicle and the Etron GT already does so I guess they will be checking off that box on most EVs soon enough.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
The new EV challenger is slated to make noises that mimics an ICE vehicle and the Etron GT already does so I guess they will be checking off that box on most EVs soon enough.
The new charger (not challenger) kind of sounds weird but at least its a start. I like the way the Audi and Porsche sound but of course its no where near loud enough. Just a few weeks ago A Porsche Taycan blew past me and most of the noise I heard was from the tires. Most likely any new EV will not satisfy me coming from loud V8 muscle cars. Plus with all the new exhaust regulation laws happening around the world, cars will never be loud again.

But that`s ok because most people could carless about that kind of stuff and move on. I think I would buy a full electric 2 door coupe electric mustang. At least the car would look cool I can hope. Unlike most ugly EVs on the road.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/07/17/auto-fad/

Without looking much… if you think those debates back then are a lie, you need to read more…
Most of that was before people experienced the Model T, but I have to agree there were people in that general time frame who didn't think the automobile would ever be good. It was probably 20 years later when automobiles had more modern features that most people realized cars were great. It's funny that even back in the 1800s stupid people thought we were going to quickly run out of gas.

But you didn't address the soul thing. No one in that article said horses have soul but automobiles don't. You said that people had that objection to gasoline cars.

I wonder if it will be 20 years before EVs don't suck anymore.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
EVs are definitely a polarizing subject that incenses people.
It's not the EV itself that incenses people it is the jamming them down our throats that is polarizing.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
No one was trying to ban the horse. Also, the horse was better till Ford made the Model T.

Damonfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
That is one of my biggest objections. Media, activists, and government telling me what to drive.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
No one was trying to ban the horse. Also, the horse was better till Ford made the Model T.
There were probably plenty of areas around the world where a horse still made more sense, even with the model T being out. Because the infrastructure wasn't made everywhere yet. We need both gas stations and roads to use gas cars. Something a horses do not need.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Most of that was before people experienced the Model T, but I have to agree there were people in that general time frame who didn't think the automobile would ever be good. It was probably 20 years later when automobiles had more modern features that most people realized cars were great. It's funny that even back in the 1800s stupid people thought we were going to quickly run out of gas.

But you didn't address the soul thing. No one in that article said horses have soul but automobiles don't. You said that people had that objection to gasoline cars.

I wonder if it will be 20 years before EVs don't suck anymore.
I'm thinking it'll be at least 10....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the crux of this banter is that people don’t like silent EVs gapping their ICE rides. Simple as that. So they point to “it can’t turn”, “it can’t go WOT for miles”, “it will explode and kill your family”, “it doesn’t have a soul”, all while they never track their cars, never do races that are actually a mile, and drive an ICE vehicle that is likely to have killed more people due to manufacturing issues than EVs.
No, definitely not that. I remember being at a very small track near my house in my 944 and a Model 3 was there. From the perspective of a guy in a very slow car, it seemed relatively fast and he lapped it more than just one session. I was impressed by it. I like well designed and engineered cars.

And I don't really care if other people's cars are faster than mine. Otherwise I would do power adders or I'd own a Hellcat instead of a Mustang GT. I'm just not into that kind of thing.

Mostly I'm not interested in a big, heavy car that doesn't have a manual transmission. If someone built a 1500 lb sporty EV that I easily fit into and that made 300 hp I might be interested. But it needs a manual transmission. Without that I don't really care.
Sponsored