Tesla Model 3 vs Mustang Ecoboost and GT

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Yep I will be getting it when it come out. My lease will end in about 3 years and hopefully I will just test drive one of those and get it.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Model 3 will replace my GT, if everything works out.

It'll be quicker anywhere under 100 and handle just as well. Range doesn't bother me, I get <250 miles per tank already (and I fill up weekly at most) and superchargers will handle anything outside my 15 mile commute just fine. Not having to worry about the cost of gas when planting my foot will just be a side bonus.

I'll do a 3-4 year lease and upgrade to v2 when it comes out too.
Yep I will be getting it when it come out. My lease will end in about 3 years and hopefully I will just test drive one of those and get it.
That's terrific! More dinosaur juice for me! :cheers:

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
The biggest issue I have with Electric cars in general is them feeding off the public grid. This is going to put a huge demand on an already taxed electrical grid specially in the summer months. This will in effect drive up the cost of electricity to everyone. The people that do not own an electric car will be paying for them. Gs on the other hand is an expense only to those who drive.

Take Japan for instance. I lived there for quite sometime. They now have "more charging stations nationwide than gas stations, (the number however includes private residents). The issue here is that in major metropolitan areas in the summer they have been scheduling black outs in the summer due to lack of electrical availability. Now add in the load of electric cars and you have a serious problem on hand.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No real Mustang person is going to buy this piece of crap.
Speak for yourself. And nothing precludes one from owning both. Tesla for the work week, GT350 for the weekends, works for me!

For sports cars I understand EVs still leave a lot to be desired, which is why I will keep my GT350 for as long as I can, but for basic daily transportation its hard to argue with the efficiency and value of electric cars at this point.

The biggest issue I have with Electric cars in general is them feeding off the public grid. This is going to put a huge demand on an already taxed electrical grid specially in the summer months. This will in effect drive up the cost of electricity to everyone. The people that do not own an electric car will be paying for them. Gs on the other hand is an expense only to those who drive.
Most power companies have very lucrative incentives to charge over night, when the grid is not taxed at all. I have two EVs and charge them both over night with no issues. PG&E charges me 10 cents/kwh, I get about ~4mi/kwh, so I can go 40 miles for a dollar. I also have a solar array and get paid 17-39 cents per kwh I generate and send back to the grid, so I am basically driving them for free and greatly expediting the ROI on the solar array install costs.

With tesla offering 200mile+ range at this price, the need to charge during the day will go down quite a bit. And as the nation slowly weens off fossil fuels, all of the money spent on the infrastructure to refine and transport fuel, can then be invested into upgrading the grid and adding renewable sources. These changes will happen, no longer a question of if, but a question of when.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The biggest issue I have with Electric cars in general is them feeding off the public grid.

IMO it's not a big problem unless the utilities don't burn enough coal to feed them. Funny how some of the same people are pushing electric cars but are anti-coal. Basically the Teslas are all coal powered. Just a few extra steps and additional loss in efficiency in the process compared to a gas burner.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Only ~1/3 of all electricity in the US is generated by coal (yes some states still heavily rely on it), and that number continues to decline (which is why you see the coal industry waning). Natural gas turbines and nuclear reactors make up the majority for most of the US, both of which are far more efficient than coal or any ICE.

And a huge chunk of Teslas are in CA, where <20% is generated via coal. So no, they basically are not coal powered at all. And you are neglecting all of the costs/fuel associated with refining, storing, and transporting fuel and the crude.

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
That's terrific! More dinosaur juice for me! :cheers:
I have this on my 'Stang" :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I61VR5C

Really depends on when you charge and how you get the power. With solar power in the mix the lowest demand can actually be right in the middle of the day.

Nukes + solar/wind + large-scale-batteries (will) make it a non-issue.

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red

Sponsored

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Really depends on when you charge and how you get the power. With solar power in the mix the lowest demand can actually be right in the middle of the day.

Nukes + solar/wind + large-scale-batteries (will) make it a non-issue.
+1 on this, our electrical generation, transmission, and distribution infrastructure hasn't changed much in 100 years. But it will - the future is more renewables of all types, lots of both centralized and distributed generation, energy storage, and informatics-enabled efficiencies. Today's grid is the equivalent of a 1970's 4-barrel carburetor.

My DD is a Model S, and I've got nearly 30K miles of experience with it. Perfect streetcar, supercharging works great, and I've roadtripped from NorCal to Vegas and back easily. I don't track it for a few good reasons (although a guy on the Teslarati forum does...), but I might do that with the upcoming Model 3 (yes, I had my deposit in on the first day). We'll see how they do with aggressive driving heat management / power limitations - that's the only thing that would stop me.

For those who think the electric future isn't exciting, you really need to go test drive a Model S. Even a Coyote doesn't have the instant torque whenever you want of an electric motor. I don't even have the hyperactive P-D model, just the regular RWD 85, and the seat of the pants feel is easily as exciting as the 'Stang, maybe more so...

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I also ordered the Model 3 on the first day. but I don't think i will be taking it to track, at 35k you can bet there is close to 0 cooling for track.

+1 on this, our electrical generation, transmission, and distribution infrastructure hasn't changed much in 100 years. But it will - the future is more renewables of all types, lots of both centralized and distributed generation, energy storage, and informatics-enabled efficiencies. Today's grid is the equivalent of a 1970's 4-barrel carburetor.

My DD is a Model S, and I've got nearly 30K miles of experience with it. Perfect streetcar, supercharging works great, and I've roadtripped from NorCal to Vegas and back easily. I don't track it for a few good reasons (although a guy on the Teslarati forum does...), but I might do that with the upcoming Model 3 (yes, I had my deposit in on the first day). We'll see how they do with aggressive driving heat management / power limitations - that's the only thing that would stop me.

For those who think the electric future isn't exciting, you really need to go test drive a Model S. Even a Coyote doesn't have the instant torque whenever you want of an electric motor. I don't even have the hyperactive P-D model, just the regular RWD 85, and the seat of the pants feel is easily as exciting as the 'Stang, maybe more so...

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
I also ordered the Model 3 on the first day. but I don't think i will be taking it to track, at 35k you can bet there is close to 0 cooling for track.
Maybe....

At this point the Tesla achilles heel for aggressive driving is heat management of the battery pack. All lithium ion packs do this under heavy charge or discharge, you can feel it on your smartphone or computer. The cars have a self-preservation (and safety! Li-ion runaway thermal event = nasty fire, like the early Boeing Dreamliners suffered) feature that limits power output when the batteries get too hot. The Teslarati guy who does track days says he can get a good 10min session out of it before this gets intrusive, which is already half a track day session. So it's not terribly far off from being a track-worthy toy.

Improved battery heat management is already a high priority item for Tesla to preserve battery life and further increase safety, so while it's doubtful that trackworthiness will be part of their goal, the track rats may benefit anyway..

Give me 15min of hot lapping in a session, and I'm in. Spare wheelset with Hoosier R7's, and the P-version of the Model 3 will be a blast :headbang:
Sponsored