Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I'm going to try the hose clamp method when I can get a day to do it.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is exactly what I went through, the dealer swapped my DS under the original SSM after balancing all 4 tires the first time and it was good for about 500-1000 miles (been so long now I can't even remember) and it came back but not as bad as before.

So far all my dealer has done since then was blame tires. I've been asking every time I go if they can escalate to the FSE but it never happens.
I know exactly what some of you are going through - and I put a lot of my experiences when I had my 2016 in this very thread, including detailed excerpts from my work orders.

The Service Center won’t escalate to an FSE unless you have opened a claim with a Ford CSR via the Ford 800#. That is the only way the FSE will get involved.

Have you opened a case with your regional CSR yet? If not, do it - call the #, state your concerns and disatisfaction with the product and the repair efforts and be sure to say the driveline vibe still exists.

My prior 2016 had (3) driveshafts [2 original and 1 was the revised DS], multiple attempts with SSM #1 “clamp” fix, trans mount, trans flange, 2 rear pinion flanges, center support bearing AND and entire rear diff replaced - not including multiple driveshaft clocks as well as multiple tire road force balancing acts.... the F’n vibration still was there. Oh yea, the FSE went out to the Service Center 3x with specialized equipment, which every time picked up the vibes that were well beyond “acceptable” specs and the Service Center had the Ford Engineering Team involved...

Hell, I even spent over $1k out of my own pocket replacing the Pirellis that only had 13k on them with brand new BFG’s and alignment. Why? Because I thought what else could it be, because the last repair was a major repair with the entire rear diff being replaced.... nope - driveline vibe was still there, in the same mph and rpm range.

So from 1,009 miles to just over 36k, a folder 3” thick of warranty repair work orders and over 1 YEAR of the car being at the shop, sometimes for months at a time, I dealt with the same BS you are or have dealt with... I eventually demanded a Ford Buy Back and got my 2018 as the replacement via the Buy Back process.

Ford knows there is a problem - if there wasn’t, there wouldn’t be (2) SSM’s on it and a revised driveshaft to be used per the 2nd SSM.

I’m really surprised Ford has never officially fixed the issue by now.

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
I dont think that they dont want to fix it , i feel they just cant fix it. Have you watched A Faster Pony , they mention the DS vibe and elude to it being fixed on the assembly line. Sounds like an alignment issue to me and clearly they did not fix it.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I know exactly what some of you are going through - and I put a lot of my experiences when I had my 2016 in this very thread, including detailed excerpts from my work orders.

The Service Center won’t escalate to an FSE unless you have opened a claim with a Ford CSR via the Ford 800#. That is the only way the FSE will get involved.

Have you opened a case with your regional CSR yet? If not, do it - call the #, state your concerns and disatisfaction with the product and the repair efforts and be sure to say the driveline vibe still exists.

My prior 2016 had (3) driveshafts [2 original and 1 was the revised DS], multiple attempts with SSM #1 “clamp” fix, trans mount, trans flange, 2 rear pinion flanges, center support bearing AND and entire rear diff replaced - not including multiple driveshaft clocks as well as multiple tire road force balancing acts.... the F’n vibration still was there. Oh yea, the FSE went out to the Service Center 3x with specialized equipment, which every time picked up the vibes that were well beyond “acceptable” specs and the Service Center had the Ford Engineering Team involved...

Hell, I even spent over $1k out of my own pocket replacing the Pirellis that only had 13k on them with brand new BFG’s and alignment. Why? Because I thought what else could it be, because the last repair was a major repair with the entire rear diff being replaced.... nope - driveline vibe was still there, in the same mph and rpm range.

So from 1,009 miles to just over 36k, a folder 3” thick of warranty repair work orders and over 1 YEAR of the car being at the shop, sometimes for months at a time, I dealt with the same BS you are or have dealt with... I eventually demanded a Ford Buy Back and got my 2018 as the replacement via the Buy Back process.

Ford knows there is a problem - if there wasn’t, there wouldn’t be (2) SSM’s on it and a revised driveshaft to be used per the 2nd SSM.

I’m really surprised Ford has never officially fixed the issue by now.
I'm going to attempt calling the FSE tomorrow direct and see if I can get a hold of him, if not I'll call the CSR and see what they can do.

I'm curious, how long did you have the car year wise before you did a buyback? As far as I know I'm past the time limitation on the NJ lemon law

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to attempt calling the FSE tomorrow direct and see if I can get a hold of him, if not I'll call the CSR and see what they can do.

I'm curious, how long did you have the car year wise before you did a buyback? As far as I know I'm past the time limitation on the NJ lemon law
Bought the 2016 new in Dec 2015. In Jan 2016 w/ 1,009 miles on it is when driveline vibe surfaced. It continued to be an issue all the way through August 2017 when the last repair made was the replacement of the entire rear diff. At that time, the car had under 30k on it. Since Jan 2016 through August 2017, I had (3) Ford CSR’s involved (because Ford Corp apparently has high employee turnover rate). Every instance of warranty work pertaining to the driveline vibe was documented by me, by them and Ford Service Center since 1,009 miles. I had emails upon emails as well as all of the very detailed work orders (thanks to the great Tech who was assigned to the car).

When the vibe resurfaced after the rear diff replacement is when I demanded a Buy Back. The Buy Back was initiated and approved in Sept 2017 and I did not take delivery of my new 2018 until Feb 2018. The delay was due to the fact that the 2018’s were barely available, my replacement was a special order and numerous Ford RAV paperwork revisions. By the time I turned in the 2016, it had over 37k on it.

At times, my 2016 sat at the Ford Service Center in excess of 1 month. That alone covers the 30-consecutive day rule for Lemon Law/Buy Back. Mine also had the same warranty repair attempted more than 3x. Plus every repair effort for the driveline vibe was completed prior to 24k miles and 2yr mark (per NJ Lemon Law) and was very well documented. My specific Case is probably an anomaly to the standard Buy Back process and Case Law parameters for Lemons.

I would not contact or call the FSE at all. You must call the Ford 800# and open a case. Ford Corp will assign your case to a Regional CSR. Once you get a Case number you are in the system and your complaints take priority when it comes to how to proceed per the CSR and your decisions. You need to voice to the CSR how disgusted you are with the Ford product as well as how any repairs have not alleviated the problem. The CSR can authorize the FSE to visit your vehicle, especially since you have a valid concern.

If you are in NJ, if you don’t mind me asking, what Dealer has your warranty work been performed at (you can PM me if you don't want to state publicly).

How many miles are on your car now? How many times has it been in for the repair and do you recall how many days it was in the shop for each repair attempt?

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Bought the 2016 new in Dec 2015. In Jan 2016 w/ 1,009 miles on it is when driveline vibe surfaced. It continued to be an issue all the way through August 2017 when the last repair made was the replacement of the entire rear diff. At that time, the car had under 30k on it. Since Jan 2016 through August 2017, I had (3) Ford CSR’s involved (because Ford Corp apparently has high employee turnover rate). Every instance of warranty work pertaining to the driveline vibe was documented by me, by them and Ford Service Center since 1,009 miles. I had emails upon emails as well as all of the very detailed work orders (thanks to the great Tech who was assigned to the car).

When the vibe resurfaced after the rear diff replacement is when I demanded a Buy Back. The Buy Back was initiated and approved in Sept 2017 and I did not take delivery of my new 2018 until Feb 2018. The delay was due to the fact that the 2018’s were barely available, my replacement was a special order and numerous Ford RAV paperwork revisions. By the time I turned in the 2016, it had over 37k on it.

At times, my 2016 sat at the Ford Service Center in excess of 1 month. That alone covers the 30-consecutive day rule for Lemon Law/Buy Back. Mine also had the same warranty repair attempted more than 3x. Plus every repair effort for the driveline vibe was completed prior to 24k miles and 2yr mark (per NJ Lemon Law) and was very well documented. My specific Case is probably an anomaly to the standard Buy Back process and Case Law parameters for Lemons.

I would not contact or call the FSE at all. You must call the Ford 800# and open a case. Ford Corp will assign your case to a Regional CSR. Once you get a Case number you are in the system and your complaints take priority when it comes to how to proceed per the CSR and your decisions. You need to voice to the CSR how disgusted you are with the Ford product as well as how any repairs have not alleviated the problem. The CSR can authorize the FSE to visit your vehicle, especially since you have a valid concern.

If you are in NJ, if you don’t mind me asking, what Dealer has your warranty work been performed at (you can PM me if you don't want to state publicly).

How many miles are on your car now? How many times has it been in for the repair and do you recall how many days it was in the shop for each repair attempt?
I go to the dealer I bought it from which is Maplecrest in Mendham. I'd have to go back through my service history but I'd like to say I've had them look at this issue at least four times since 2016. I bought the car in July of 2016 and the day after I bought it, the first time I took it on the highway (i-287 south) is when I noticed that vibration.

I have 13,200 miles on the car now, I would have to attempt to add up how many days the car was in the shop total. I think I'm SOL on any attempt at a buyback since I bought it in july of 2016 and the 2 year mark was this july.

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
Car is back home safe :) its only a 7 mile drive home but so far so good , i will have to drive it more to be absolutely sure but even at lower speeds it seems smoother. As with issue we have a preconceived notion or expectation bias and after a long day at work i am not too objective. Previously the vibe would show up right on schedule at 83k 50 mph no mistaking it and thus far it feels so much better. When i picked it up the service writer says, its all good and i said we shall see and he replied snarkely yeah im sure youll tell us. Not sure why the attitude ,i have been nothing but polite with them This was a different guy than i had dealt with previously but it may be something to do with my insistance they not touch my camera. I also have a tracker on the car they didnt know about but i didnt buy the car for someone else to run t he shit out of. Anywho i will post back periodically to update as i get more miles on it though winter is real close .

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
She’s on the lift this week.
I’ll report back when and if this thing fits and after a few hundred miles of highway driving.
Well the results are in;

The factory steel sleeved right rear Diff. bushing needs a counter bore to allow engagement of the male portion of the damper center hub.
I may decide to machine the male nipple off the hub in the near future.

For reference this is the same for both Dampers.
15-17 Ford (FR3Z-4A263-A) https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/ford-damper-fr3z4a263a
2018 Ford (JR3Z-4A263-B)

Wish I had better news.

Cruizer40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
So I have 2016 CS that has had the vibe issue since new. The DS was replaced and that seemed to take care of most of the issue. I then did the hose clamp meathod when it returned and that took care of the problem for the most part. Then most recently the problem reappeared and the shop put there analyzer in the car and it showed the vibe was coming from my drivers side front and rear wheels. They lifted the car and removed the wheels to check the balance and that was good however my MMR350 wheels were out of round by a lot. Mechanic took a video and sent it to me. No impact damage to tires or wheels so not sure if I purchased them that way or not.
Point is make sure the wheels are not only balanced out correctly but also completely round.
Now I'm in the market for new wheels again.

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
Did you take your car to ford this time as well? My understanding was that they use a road simulation balancer that should detect this sort of thing . With these modern bandaide tires and stiff suspension I am pretty sure i can tell when i run over dime vs a nickel. Everything has to be just right. Be sure to check back after the new wheels are on.

Sponsored

Cruizer40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
Yes sir, the car was taken to a dealership. They did use the device you spoke of as well. I will post again when the wheels are on, bitter pill to swallow spending another 3000 again.

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
I have the factory PP wheels and i like them enough i dont see myself changing them since a supercharger is on santa's list. I may get some 10 inch for the back and move the 9.5 forward.

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Since this thread still has some life, I guess it's time I updated the issue I had Feb '17. Mine is a success story, though, and I feel my dealer and their service dept has been fair with me. When the issue came up I was given a loaner GT convertible, followed by an apology and explanation.

I had taken the car in for a TB recall and a clunk in the driveshaft- up to that point never had a vibration issue.. Dealer needed to order new driveshaft, so they gave me a car.... thread here: ( https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...and-driveline-clunk-bonus.75913/#post-1722364). I picked my car up just before work in the afternoon, and felt something a little off. After work that night, did the kind of drive recommended here, made notes, copied parts of post. It was vibrating badly, especially 50-70. I took it back the next morning with notes. My service writer said they had just gotten a communication about the issue. He said he'd give all the info to the techs, gave me back the loaner GT, and I went home.

Got a call in the afternoon, with apology and explanation. The car had been passed directly from driveline techs to get TB work done, (It's a big place) so apparently the driveabilty test was done for throttle body, not driveline. The new driveshaft was supposed to be balanced from the supplier, and somehow wasn't. Apologies were given, no excuses made, and the car was ready. They had made diagnosis/repair a priority, it had been road tested and ready to go. I picked it up (just a few hours after dropping it off).

I've driven it close to 10000 miles since, a daily driver- as well as road trips to Salt Lake City and Venice Beach, with long 85+ mph stretches. It has been fine ever since, no problems at all.

Dealer/Service Dept experiences vary, and I have no complaints about mine. I feel they have always been fair to me, and did their best to correct an issue. Compared to some of the stories on here, I feel lucky.

Scan Gaudin0015b.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who need it or want to read over what Ford Techs do for NVH diagnosis - here’s Ford NVH info:
Sponsored

Attachments