V6 Throttle Body Revisited and Driveline Clunk Bonus

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Backstory- As many V6 owners know, there had been an issue with the throttle body failing, causing the car to go into limp mode. It has been a TSB, and Recall and has involved replacing the TB and/or a program update. There was an interesting discussion regarding this several months ago which morphed from (ok, hijacked from :D) [MENTION=22058]MYSHARK[/MENTION]'s thread http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66009 .

My TB was replaced back in August 2016, and in Oct, my dealer gave it a once over, and re-flashed the PCM. The car has been fine since, though I haven't had it out of town, and have only driven it another 3000 miles.

My TB failed in Salt Lake City on a road trip, and I had a rather suspenseful drive the 450 miles from Salt Lake back to Las Vegas. It did fail again on the way, though it was thoughtful enough to do it on the St George off-ramp 3 miles from one of only 2 Ford dealers in 200 miles :thumbsup: . Thread here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63276

So today... I had made an appointment for my one year service. You know, LOF etc. I only drive 4 miles each way to work, shop in the neighborhood, and do a 15 mile Beltway loop in Sport twice a month. I use time rather than miles for service -every 6 months. (6600 miles in a year...). I also asked if they could check out a driveline clank or clunk when going into reverse or drive.

My service writer/tech said no problem, they'd check it while doing the rest of the maintenance. Then said 'Oh, you have a TB recall." I said yep, they had already done it. Well, apparently my TB had been replaced with one of the original design, and a re-engineered one was now available. So of course, as it might take all day to do everything, they'd pay for a rental for today. Upgraded. Cool.

Just got a phone call from them- the little driveline clunk? New driveshaft, has to be ordered, it would be at least 2 working days. And warranted, of course. I have always had a bit of driveline harshness, not really vibration, around 50 mph. As many others have had the same, I never brought it up. My guy also said he'd arrange a car if I hadn't gotten the rental yet. I said I had, and he said "Good, keep it"

As a result, I'm going to have to suffer all weekend with a '17 Premium Magnetic GT convertible. And it's 70 degrees. :headbang:

So in conclusion, your honor... :p

I find it very annoying to be having these problems in a new/ almost new car. However, Ford and my dealer not only have (so far) been quick to repair it and take care of me, they have been pro-active in doing so.

So any of us that had our TBs replaced early, check your TSBs or whatever and see if you are in line for the new one. And let your service dept. know about a clunk if you have one.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Decosse

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
how to we know if we have the tsb?
They are often on your page on the Ford Owner's site if you have registered your car there. If you have a good service writer, they could run your VIN on their system. There used to be a former tech member on here that could access it as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: