Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When i did my shims i did 1 bolt at a time thus leaving factory setting in tact! it didn't move! Also the trans mount bolts keeps things in place!
If you are addressing me, I wasn't commenting anything at all about your experiences, just asking if a generic cause for some of the vibrations in these cars might be from the trans aimed a bit sideways to the DS due to the slop in the cross-member bolt holes.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If you are addressing me, I wasn't commenting anything at all about your experiences, just asking if a generic cause for some of the vibrations in these cars might be from the trans aimed a bit sideways to the DS due to the slop in the cross-member bolt holes.
I apologize for sharing my experience, just trying help by sharing!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'd say it's a possibility if there is a lot of side-to-side slop possible. Surely something to check/verify in terms of tranny to diff side-to-side aliment.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Whats going here is there's no side to side movement of the x-member. As explained in previous posts, the vibrations come from faulty pinion angles from the factory! Kelly at Bmr researched this day and night and came up with shimming the transmission downward by putting shims between the x member and the body of the car! Now I've done this and many others have also and the vibration is gone! No where in this thread has anyone talked about side to side movement or misalignment till you mentioned it today! This is a long thread so that should tell you its a non issue!

Sponsored

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
My diff was replaced and the vibration came back after about 8,000 miles. The drive line misalignment is never corrected so eventually it wears out the diff gears and brings the vibration back to life.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Whats going here is there's no side to side movement of the x-member. As explained in previous posts, the vibrations come from faulty pinion angles from the factory! Kelly at Bmr researched this day and night and came up with shimming the transmission downward by putting shims between the x member and the body of the car! Now I've done this and many others have also and the vibration is gone! No where in this thread has anyone talked about side to side movement or misalignment till you mentioned it today! This is a long thread so that should tell you its a non issue!
Given the duration of this thread and the repeated posts about how tire replacements/balancing, drive shaft and differential replacements didn't provide a lasting fix, wouldn't you think by now Ford's starting point would shimming the tranny ?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Did this help with the bad clunking when going into gear from a stop? Mine is worse than ever and I notice a vibration/drone in the car from 50+ mph and its at its worse at 60-65. It goes in on June 1st, I hope they take this seriously as the drone at 60 is aggravating
So far it seemed to have eliminated the "clunk" when coming to a stop. I never had the gear engagement noises or metallic noises like others have posted. I had what was slop in the driveline when coming to a stop - hard to describe, but like as if the driveline was still in motion from slowing down, then "clunk" at a total stop. Sometimes it did it, other times not.

The driveline vibe at speeds while driving it not there anymore after total diff replacement.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Glad to hear a new differential fixed the vibe issue.

Did the dealer tear open the original differential to inspect for damage/wear?
Service Center only popped diff plug and it was confirmed that the fluid contained excessive metal. They did not document opening the rear cover at all. I don't know if Ford does not allow them to go further after it's been determined through conversations with Ford that the solution is to replace the entire diff.

I was told the original diff was being sent back to Ford, maybe they pop it open there and do research, who knows...

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Given the duration of this thread and the repeated posts about how tire replacements/balancing, drive shaft and differential replacements didn't provide a lasting fix, wouldn't you think by now Ford's starting point would shimming the tranny ?
No, Ford doesn't care, and that's the point most folks are not willing to accept. Folks automatically assume Ford wants to help when in truth after they sell you the car they dont want to see your car in for service for an issue like this! Especially when they already know its a engineering flaw from the factory! Ford wont fix this. What would happen if you went to Ford and told them your pinion angles are off and you think its causing a vibration? They would laugh at you! They don't have the time or knowledge or the wearwithall to Dive into this. Guys like Kelly at Bmr who know and deal with this daily go right to the issue figure out whats actually going on, and find a fix for it!

Sponsored

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It appears that they really don't care about fixing this vibration defect. At first they could have publish a real fix and then proceed to correct this vibration defect after the first production year (2015) but instead they continued to produce this this garbage for 2016 and 2017. Profit rules them.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
It appears that they really don't care about fixing this vibration defect. At first they could have publish a real fix and then proceed to correct this vibration defect after the first production year (2015) but instead they continued to produce this this garbage for 2016 and 2017. Profit rules them.
And this is exactly why all the food executives lost their bonuses this year due to recalls and warranty claim handling.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
It can take a year to implement a solution if you know what the problem is...

There has to be separate studies done on all the components to narrow down what is at highest risk. Once found, if it is a internally controlled part; you have to design, and validate a solution, which means running another vehicle or set of vheicles through durability. Oh there also has a business case.

They could be piggy backing the fix to 2018 validation to keep cost lower, or due to resource availability.

Last I heard the route cause was center support bearings.

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
As I first posted mine didn't have this problem ..I have 5200 miles on mine now and it had the vibe from 45 and up .. Last night I installed my drag tires and headed to the track ... I had just had them balanced because they had turned on the rims from hard launches .. To my surprise it had zero Vibes at any speed ..So I'm going to have the same shop that did the balance on my drag tires rebalance my stock tires and see what happens ..

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
In case anyone on this thread wants to shim down their transmission crossmember- the stock bolt is an M12 1.75mm pitch with about 1.5" of threads. I was just under my car monkeying with this, and with .25" of shims, it is cutting it very tight (i.e. the stock bolt doesn't have many turns on it.) I'm going to swap the stock bolts with something longer this week.

edit - went to Lowe's last night and they had M12 1.75 in 60mm length in stock. $2.50 per pack of 2 bolts. Worked like a champ for over .25" of shim. Might be a little long for anyone doing less than .25" of shim. Lowes also sells a 50mm length M12, which might work better for less shim.
DSCN2249.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: