Vibration between 50 & 70 mph

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by icarumba, Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

1. No

54.4%
  2. Yes - V8/MT

20.0%
  3. Yes - V8/AT

12.3%
  4. Yes - V6/MT

1.2%
  5. Yes - V6/AT

3.4%
  6. Yes - EB/MT

2.4%
  7. Yes - EB/AT

6.4%
  1. Mustg3

Mustg3 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    Do you know the part number for the latest new driveshaft? Wonder if it will fit my V-6 model.

2. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Look up SSM 46767 in this thread - that was the last and latest SSM from Ford which required the dealers to replace the driveshaft for 2015-2017 S550’s with the 6R80 trans. I think the part # was in that document.

It’s been a while since I last posted in this thread - and 2 years since my prior 2016 was bought back by Ford - that’s how I finally got rid of the driveline vibe... best decision too.

Lo Pony and MikeD1 like this.
  3. MikeD1

MikeD1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Challenger Hellcat
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    That exact same fix worked wonders on my '16's vibration issues too :fistbump: :wink:

4. Thestangb

Thestangb Well-Known Member

First Name:
    X0AYHAM0X
    Vehicle(s):
    Black S550
    0   0   0
    Could you please explain more or post links of these?

5. Lo Pony

Lo Pony Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it!!!!!!
    0   0   0
    #3565 Lo Pony, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    I believe there is some detail back up earlier in this thread, I apologize but I don’t have it. You can specifically look for “vibration dampener“ Or “vibration damper”. I made mine a lot better by unbolting the driveshaft and reattaching it 180 deg. relative to the original position on the flange. Then I traded ithe car in last year. Maybe someone else can chime in with part numbers, which I would do, but I never had to buy them.

Seems like the biggest challenge, which I ran into also, was getting a dealer that will acknowledge that the problem exists. And that’s after driving the car, I had several they just said they couldn’t feel it (yep, that’s you, Galpin Ford of Los Angeles, and Ford of Orange) Shame!

If you have a cooperative service department at your dealership, that’s 80% of the battle for getting it addressed.

6. jkindler

jkindler New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium in Metallic
    0   0   0
    I took my 2017 GT in last year for the driveline vibration, was told my tires were cupped(they were not). Vibration is worse this year, and consistent between 50-70. Just had new tires put on last week so the "cupped" tires excuse is eliminated. Working my way through this very long thread, hopefully I find some info to help fix it myself or to help the dealer repair the issue.

7. barrykaye1001

barrykaye1001 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
    0   0   0
    JK - My post #3456 might help:

Vibration between 50 & 70 mph

I hope it helps. If you need any more info, DM me.

8. jkindler

jkindler New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium in Metallic
    0   0   0
    Thanks!, I did find your post earlier. I will be using this information. The new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, GREAT tires, highly suggest them. Drove through a torrential downpour a few days ago and had no issues with hydroplaning or grip through corners. The tires removed any other vibrations, which made the driveline vibration more noticable.

9. Roman Panek

Roman Panek Member

First Name:
    Roman
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford Mustang 5.0 GT 2015
    0   0   0
    Hi I have questions.
    Post of June 3, 2018, No. 3445
    There are photos of spare parts. Please write me the order numbers.
    Which Ford Mustang model it was mounted on? What engine and gearbox? What year of production?
    Did it solve the vibration problem?
    Thanks a lot for the information ..
    RP

10. speedfrk

speedfrk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Dodge Challenger
    0   0   0
    So are the 2018-19 cars vibration free- and is the AC evap problem fixed now? I fixed my 2015 EB vibration problem by getting a Challenger but I'm looking at a 2018 EB with 11K miles on it for cheap money. Also, are the 10sp auto smooth in the Mustang? My 2018 F150 was horrible and never shifted well. Always lurched and clunked into the lower gears. After the Mustang and F150, I'm pretty leery of buying another Ford.

MikeD1 likes this.
  11. JohnVallo

JohnVallo 1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 SB GT350, chassis: G1245
    Retired, FBI -Tampa Field Office-
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    #3571 JohnVallo, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    The JR3Z-4A263-A Damper is used on the 2018 models
    The FR3Z-4A263-A Damper was earlier models
    Here is a close-up of the: FR3Z-4A263-A Damper
    Weight: 4 lbs, 3.1 oz
    Final Damper-1-2-3-4.jpg

12. JohnVallo

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Here is a close-up of the: HR3Z-4851-B Flange
    This is a lot nicer looking piece than what was used on the previous models. (They were un-painted, and rusted very easily/quickly)
    Final Flange-1-2-3-4.jpg

Lo Pony likes this.
  13. GregO

GregO Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    S550 GTPP
    0   0   0
    The attachment stub end is the same on both.

14. hlh1

hlh1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT California Special, 1995 SVT Hardtop Convertible,
    Electrical Engineer
    0   0   0
    I wasn't able to get my FR3Z-4A263-A Damper installed on my 17 GT. The spare tire well is in the way.

15. JohnVallo

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    #3575 JohnVallo, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    I'm sure the Dual Mass Flywheel and Dual Clutch offered new in 2018 for the Mustang GT V8's helped with some engine/driveline vibration.

16. Lo Pony

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it!!!!!!
    0   0   0
    Doubtful, the drivetrain vibration is not related to engine or clutch harmonics.

17. Lo Pony

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #3577 Lo Pony, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    As long as it bolts to one of the differential mounting points, or even to the differential itself, it will work. Is there any place else you can put it?

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1504

See the front differential mount bolts? I don’t know if there is clearance there but it will work the same if there is clearance. If you have a chance to check, let us know what you find.

18. 16EBStang

16EBStang New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost Mustang/MT6
    0   0   0
    Speaking from personal experience (I had a 2016 Ecoboost with a manual transmission, non PP car), I can tell you that the problem is in fact within the differential.

I realized that I had a problem at about 1,200 miles and took the car to my local dealership (the car had not been purchased there but about 3 hours away at Koons Sterling, VA).

First visit resulted in them replacing all 4 tires and 1 wheel.

Second visit, an alignment and a new wheel

3rd visit a new drive shaft (drove it two miles and they had made the vibration about 5x worse trturning it to the dealer.

4th visit, new drive shaft balanced by a 3rd party.

5th visit, another new drive shaft.

Then it got serious...

They replaced the center section of the rear end assembly. seemed to be better, but rear end of the car had a serious swaying action when making long sweeping turns. It took 2 visits for them to admit to the swaying problem.

8th visit, replace entire rear end assembly (everything between the brakes).

Vibration returns after a few thousand miles (but swaying issue solved).

9th visit, dealer replaces ring and pinion and states that the factory had incorrectly set up the ring and pinion.

Add to all of this that while the car is sitting outside at the dealership waiting for a new water pump, a summer storm covers the car with hail damage (which the dealer graciously fixes for free).

In total, the car had 13 service visits and over 30 days in possession of the dealer, but in the end, they fixed it. However, I got cold feet (figured that resale might be an issue knowing what a CarFax would look like), so I called Ford Customer Service and initiated a RAV (but that's another story).

In the end, since I had documented the issue at an early state, the RAV cost me less than $300 to move into a 2018 (after essentially driving the 2016 for 2 years and 24,000 miles.

Throughout the two years, the service department was more than accommodating. At one point the car was at the dealer for 3 weeks for which they offered a free rental!

Moral of the story, if under warranty, be firm and fair with your dealership.

Lo Pony and Burgo like this.
  19. Lo Pony

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #3579 Lo Pony, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    It always baffles me that they want the to "check the tires" first - what that means is that they do not understand the problem themselves, or they do not have confidence that the dealership techs can tell the difference between a tire problem and a driveline harmonic. They are nothing alike. There is no way this problem can be solved by tires (or clutches, or flywheels). By definition, it is the driveshaft or the pinion flange. The driveshaft hanger bearing I always thought was a "soft part" that deteriorated with mileage, and the resulting slack could accentuate a drivetrain harmonic. They changed these (along with the driveshaft, pinion flange) on the vibration-free 2018-19's.

A great deal of work has actually be done by readers of this thread to identify the causes of this problem. Many posts back, we surmised that the problem involved mismatched tolerances between the driveshaft and flange. There is plenty of historical (and mechanical) precedence for this.

Besides driveshaft/flange mismatch issues, the hanger bearing became suspect as an additional culprit after owners started reporting that the vibration appeared suddenly with a few thousand miles, and others reported that their vibration was cured, and then came back. It's really the only component in the driveline that could be softening up and permitting the vibration harmonic to be amplified to a noticeable level. The differential bushings could, in theory, cause a vibe due to changed pinion angle. This would mostly manifest during accel/decel, however, and might not contribute to vibrations at constant speeds unless they are really shot.

This vibration has nothing to do with half shafts, differential side bearings, tires, clutches, torque converters, etc., since they operate at different speeds than the driveshaft, and the "vibe" we are talking about is a completely different frequency. It feels like an airplane propeller (propeller - propeller shaft). A bad pinion bearing MIGHT accentuate the problem, as could excessive gear backlash, but that is a longshot. I got rid of my vibrating 2016, and the 2019 is smooth as silk (for reasons I describe above).

If you're paranoid about these (or other) problems, work out a reasonable deal on a LEASE with your dealership. That's what I did. At the end of the lease you can buy it if there are no serious issues. Or turn it in on a newer model. :)

The above user (@16EBStang) who said to be firm and fair with your dealership is absolutely correct.

speedfrk likes this.
  20. Lo Pony

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    @john Vallo, thanks so much for posting that info!