Sponsored

Winter storage - what should be done?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There's a guy in town with an S550 Bullitt and he drives it all winter. I don't want the underside of the car to rot out from salt, so I'll keep it parked.
I drive my mach1 for 7yrs in PA winters. All i did was spray the underside every 1-2 weeks to keep it clean.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I've already heard of 2 local house fires that started in the garage caused by "battery chargers". Is the fire risk of trickle chargers worth it? Could I just do a proper supervised battery charge say once a month and keep the battery healthy?

A quick google search results in a lot of destroyed cars/motorcycles at the hands of battery chargers left unattended.

Thoughts?
Depend what type of chargers you use
Trickle chargers are to be avoided and float chargers used and the amperage matched to the battery
I have had a least 15 float chargers in continuous use for the past 20 years without any issue whatsoever
Obviously zero risk doesn’t exist

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This is bad advice and I wish it would stop getting parroted. Unless you're going to drive it, don't start it. You're wearing the battery, and more importantly putting unnecessary wear on the engine. The oil will never come up to temperature idling, and you will not burn off any moisture doing that. Hook it up to a battery tender instead.
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 23.04.59.png

This is from the User Manual and as you can see it says to start the car every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

This is from the User Manual and as you can see it says to start the car every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes.
So ???
That doesn’t change the facts that it’s bad for the engine
… and btw, it also say Until the engine reach normal operating temperature
Oil take much longer than the coolant to reach normal operating temperature
Just google combustion acidic byproducts and you will understand why it’s a bad idea

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

The only reason for that advice is to minimize the cost of Ford roadside assistance calls due to dead batteries. If I park a car, I’m not starting it again until it’s play time.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So ???
That doesn’t change the facts that it’s bad for the engine
… and btw, it also say Until the engine reach normal operating temperature
Oil take much longer than the coolant to reach normal operating temperature
Just google combustion acidic byproducts and you will understand why it’s a bad idea
You consider the fact that modern oils reach normal operating temperature much quicker than 70's oils. PS this is how I store my car for the past 3 winters and so far I don't have any problems car is running strong.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason for that advice is to minimize the cost of Ford roadside assistance calls due to dead batteries. If I park a car, I’m not starting it again until it’s play time.
Dead batteries on a Mustang is a huge deal as the OEM batterie is expensive and have memory in it. Few friends of mine had dead batteries replaced with not OEM and now have tons of electrical problems like dead sync's etc. But obviously is best to use a battery tender. How starting the car in winter for 15 minutes is different then starting a car to go to the Mall :? Modern cars use modern oil which reach operating temperature much quicker.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Also, turn the A/C on before you shut the car off for the last time. It will close the door to the cabin for fresh air. Just another way for rodents to get into the car

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I've already heard of 2 local house fires that started in the garage caused by "battery chargers". Is the fire risk of trickle chargers worth it? Could I just do a proper supervised battery charge say once a month and keep the battery healthy?

A quick google search results in a lot of destroyed cars/motorcycles at the hands of battery chargers left unattended.

Thoughts?
You get what you pay for.
Hooking a battery tender up and not having a good connection so it is overworked is another.
There is a difference in a storage battery tender and your run of the mill trickle charger.
I have mine plugged into an outlet that is on a 15 amp breaker, the wiring from the panel to the outlet is romex rated for a lot more than 15 amps. the tender should never need anything near 15 amps. If it shorts it'll pop the 15 amp breaker, the outlet is GFI so that also will trip if the cord going to the car shorts from water and a cut in the insulation.
I've used one for close to 30 years, without an issue.
Clean connections and a clean battery that isn't all green acid crap on top, and basic common sense .

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You consider the fact that modern oils reach normal operating temperature much quicker than 70's oils. PS this is how I store my car for the past 3 winters and so far I don't have any problems car is running strong.
??????
Yes, oil quality has greatly improved over the last few decades but that has no bearing whatsoever on how fast the oil reach operating temperature..
Well, some people smoke for decades and do not die of smoking related illnesses, that do not negate the fact that smoking is very unhealthy.
Same for the habit that you have regarding starting your car

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Dead batteries on a Mustang is a huge deal as the OEM batterie is expensive and have memory in it. Few friends of mine had dead batteries replaced with not OEM and now have tons of electrical problems like dead sync's etc. But obviously is best to use a battery tender. How starting the car in winter for 15 minutes is different then starting a car to go to the Mall :? Modern cars use modern oil which reach operating temperature much quicker.
Not wanting to be condescending but you don’t seems to have a good understanding of how electrical and mechanical systems work
A 12 volts battery do not have a “memory “ and the Mustang, any vehicle for that matter, do not care wiitch brand of battery, as long that it is of the correct amperage, is used

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Also, turn the A/C on before you shut the car off for the last time. It will close the door to the cabin for fresh air. Just another way for rodents to get into the car
What close the door to the outside air intake for the hvac is the recirculating position. You can do do that with a/c (max a/c only) or without

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not wanting to be condescending but you don’t seems to have a good understanding of how electrical and mechanical systems work
A 12 volts battery do not have a “memory “ and the Mustang, any vehicle for that matter, do not care wiitch brand of battery, as long that it is of the correct amperage, is used
Check out what BMS Reset mean. And you will get why this is an issue replacing a dead battery. But sure I don't have a good understanding mostly because I follow the owners manual and don't have any problems. This season I plan to use my charger though.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
How starting the car in winter for 15 minutes is different then starting a car to go to the Mall :?
Because when you start it for just 15 minutes it is running with no load and takes a lot longer than 15 minutes to warm up. When you take it out to drive it, there is a load on the engine and it warms up rather quickly.

Also, no manufacturer will recommend the proper way to store an engine/car for the winter. If they told the truth, your engine/car could potentially last for several years/decades and hundreds of thousands of miles thus reducing or killing future sales.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Check out what BMS Reset mean. And you will get why this is an issue replacing a dead battery. But sure I don't have a good understanding mostly because I follow the owners manual and don't have any problems. This season I plan to use my charger though.
You’re getting confused, Bms is not in/part of the battery but part of the car electronic management.
You said that using non oem battery created issues because the oem battery has a memory, that is wrong and make no sense
We all told you that it was a bad idea to start your car the way you do it…..
It’s up to you to continuing doing so or informing yourself and understanding why it’s a bad idea
Sponsored